Confidence in Waldron is teetering

keasley45

Reaction score
He is NOT developing plays in the middle of the game. It was a plan and they practiced it...it just didn't work out. I'm sure it wasn't All about JSN.... there were other area's they were trying to develope.

It looks like the Hawks feel like JSN needs to be a key part of the O for the offense to be elite. He is a rookie and if they think he is a vital part, they need to develope that concept with in the offense.

the interesting part of it is, let's see how the Hawks react schematically to the loss.

LTH
I buy SOME of what you are saying, but if Shane is putting together plays to incorporate JSN more intentionally, why don't those plays include situational circumstances. It's not like they can't work JSN into a play that's based on a roll out in the event that your offensive line, which has been beat up more than any other in the league, fails agaisnt the best D in the league. I mean, Shane should by week 10 have the most diverse and varied quick pass playbook in the league given hiw constant the line issues have been. Jsn should have 20 plays ready within 12 yards of the LOS (I exaggerate, but you get the point). JSN has caught quick slants, but nit a ton, so if the intent is to get him involved, why not call something like that?

So yeah, without a doubt, some of what's going on is developing plays for new players. But look at what Mcvay did with that new guy, Akuna Matada, or whatever his name is. Dude opened the season setting records. And it's a copycat league, OCs watch tape of good oglffenses and rip their good stuff to make it their own.

keasley45

Reaction score
The thing I will say about Pete, and this came from a conversation about how Jamal was used in 2021 - I think it was an interview with Hurtt that Dave and Bob did where it surfaced that the D looked out of sync for so long because Jamal got into camp late because of rehab or his holdout, and as a result, he wasn't up to speed enough for them to really let loose on all the concepts they wanted to run. But Dave made the point that it wasn't like Jamal missed half the season (because Pete came across as though the season was significantly slowed by Jamals late arrival), he missed camp.

But thr e takeaway was that Pete didn't even want to try to run certain concepts in-game because he didn't feel as though the practice time on them was sufficient. That stuck out to me and still does when I think about what Pete's desire for high level of execution actually means in real situations.

I DONT think he's calling plays on offense or defense. I also don't think he's designing plays, or interrupting the flow of the game by meddling in Shane's business (this became an urban legend when Pete intentionally extended a sideline convo with Schotty and Russ so that we'd get a delay of game and have to kick a field goal rather than go for a 4th and goal the way Russ wanted). There's been no acknowledgment of any other instances, nor had there been evidence to support that notion.

But I absolutely could see Pete telling Shane after watching practices that certain plays aren't ready yet, or that players are ready yet.

I mean, we had D Eskridge back. Was he not in the cards for a jet sweep or a gadget that could throw off the pass rush? Maybe in the real world he's ready to go. But in Pete's, he has to earn it with enough successful reps to show he won't be a liability.

I think some degree of the above is the fingerprint Pete has on this O.

But again, there's still a ton of stuff we've shown and proven we can do in game that we just haven't done more than once. And THAT, in my opinion, is on Shane.

LTH

Reaction score
I buy SOME of what you are saying, but if Shane is putting together plays to incorporate JSN more intentionally, why don't those plays include situational circumstances. It's not like they can't work JSN into a play that's based on a roll out in the event that your offensive line, which has been beat up more than any other in the league, fails agaisnt the best D in the league. I mean, Shane should by week 10 have the most diverse and varied quick pass playbook in the league given hiw constant the line issues have been. Jsn should have 20 plays ready within 12 yards of the LOS (I exaggerate, but you get the point). JSN has caught quick slants, but nit a ton, so if the intent is to get him involved, why not call something like that?

So yeah, without a doubt, some of what's going on is developing plays for new players. But look at what Mcvay did with that new guy, Akuna Matada, or whatever his name is. Dude opened the season setting records. And it's a copycat league, OCs watch tape of good oglffenses and rip their good stuff to make it their own.
You know man those are some good points and I really wish I knew the answer to those questions... all I can do is speculate which may or may not be correct.

The way I see it is a lot of what Waldren is doing is setting up defenses by progression meaning counter plays. If the third down conversion percentage isn't right, then they don't get the chance to run the counter plays...

In the first half there were dropped balls Jsn on the first 3rd down conversion and then a bunch of batted passes, which were not Geno's fault or Waldrons fault it was just the D getting in passing lanes and doing what they are coached to do... in short , it was great D. So the O was never able to get into rhythm... I'm sure there are other factors.

I'm not reacting to it at this point because I want to see how the Hawks react to it schematically... I don't really think the game against the Ravens was an accurate example of where the Hawks are in the scheme of things. I think they have a couple of more games to work things out and that first game against the Niners is going to be the measuring stick.

Edit: measring stick maybe even against the Rams

Just my take

LTH

Last edited:

cymatica

Reaction score
I don't know... nobody really knows. It may seem that way, but like the old addage goes when it works out your a hero, when it doesn't work out, not so much.

LTH

Or the 3rd option : got lucky it worked when it shouldn't have

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
They need a better week by week scheme. Mike Holmgren was great at schematics

keasley45

Reaction score
Was just listening to the KJ Wright show and they were talking about PC and his emphasis going into this upcoming week / what needs to be better.

2 points-

1. Reduce mental errors

2. Pete's words : 'We have to call the game for the QB'.

Shane is a big part of the issue. Pete isn't one to play loose with words when they are critical of players and coaches. That tells me that it's a known, consistent problem.

Last edited:

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Was just listening to the KJ Wright show and they were talking about PC and his emphasis going into this upcoming week / what needs to be better.

2 points-

1. Reduce mental errors

2. Pete's words : 'We have to call the game for the QB'.

Shane is a big part of the issue. Pete isn't one to play loose with words when they are critical of players and coaches. That tells me that it's a known, consistent problem.
Yeah to me that says we need to have Shane calling plays like he's aware of what's actually transpiring on the field versus what he had drawn up before the game started. It's all good to have a solid plan but you gotta be able to adjust during the flow of the game as well.

Hopefully we'll see better execution on Sunday.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Situational play calling has been a thorn in our side this year. Thank God we got our ass kicked or I would be mad like after the Bengal loss. We need better from our offense in the red zone. Defense has been great tbh and kept us in the Baltimore game for 3 quarters. Had too many turnovers to get anything going offensively and a banged up O line. Be nice if we get Lucas back this week