Conspiracy theory

pugs1

Reaction score
So the big storyline so far this year is how the NFL rattings are down and the games are unwatchable. Anybody else notice how many close heart pounding NFL games today. Hate to say it but the NFL did their best NBA impersonation. IMO the Seahawks got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Never forget with the NFL it's all about the dollars. Now I don't disagree the Hawks offensive woes contributed to the loss but all most fans ask is that games are called evenly and this one was far from it.

I'm curious How many people think sports leagues use officiating to help the bottom line?

Jerhawk

Reaction score
It's easy to think this way after a tough loss.

The truth is, the team didn't perform. Using officiating as an excuse and claiming the league is fixed is sour grapes. The Saints won, the seahawks lost. That's it. We're onto Buffalo

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
So is the lack of TDs.

Put a few of those on the board and the penalties just mean you beat them by less.

It was still one of the worst pass rushes and rushing defenses in the league and they OWNED us.

cheese22

Reaction score
Absolutely. Watch an NBA game and you'll see critical calls early in a game rather than a bad call at the end of the game when it's too obvious. 2 or 3 early fouls on Harden or Westbrook forces them to the bench early and that can completely change the course of a game without making bad calls when everyone is scrutinizing every call. You can affect a game as much or more with questionable calls early on when fans aren't as intensely focused on the officiating. Same goes in the NFL. Early calls in important situations completely changes the course of the rest of the game. Heavily influenced calls early in games to avoid a straight up fix. It's making professional sports predictable and hard to watch.
Why? The league, vendors and businesses make substantially more money when big market or home teams win.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
I don't have the statistical facts here but my belief is that the Seahawks have played more close games than other teams have over the last 4 years by a large margin. Any conspiracy that thinks that they held the Seahawks back just to keep the games close hasn't been watching our games. There isn't any sense in doing that in games we are involved in, we just don't blow out that many teams.

HawkerD

Reaction score
pugs1":2q7gibzg said:
So the big storyline so far this year is how the NFL rattings are down and the games are unwatchable. Anybody else notice how many close heart pounding NFL games today. Hate to say it but the NFL did their best NBA impersonation. IMO the Seahawks got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Never forget with the NFL it's all about the dollars. Now I don't disagree the Hawks offensive woes contributed to the loss but all most fans ask is that games are called evenly and this one was far from it.

I'm curious How many people think sports leagues use officiating to help the bottom line?

You need to really get out more. The NFL is definitely in it for the $$ because t they are playing the long game. If it ever was exposed (and it eventually would get out) that the NFL was doing something to "enhance" the product then it would permanently damage the long term cash flow.

Think about it like this. Imagine that the ratings weren't down and today's game went exactly as it did. What would you say then? If you would find another reason for the officiating then why wouldn't that be the reason it went the way it did today instead of the ratings issue. If you would say that just the way things go then you have Akeem's Razor. The simplest answer is usually correct.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Sometimes the number of games in the NFL that come down to the last drive seems suspicious.

But then I think of all the totally lopsided Monday Night and Thursday games. Surely if the NFL wanted to drive ratings this way, they would include these prime time games.

That said, it's completely naive to think in a billion dollar sport, with so much associated gambling, there aren't at least a few dirty refs packing money into offshore bank accounts. Not that they have to totally cause one team to win, but just guarantee that a team either does or doesn't cover a point spread. I bet college refs are even dirtier.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Russell Wilson is a billion dollar baby. He's near the top of merchandise sales since he's entered the league. To maximize that profit, you don't allow the Saints, who have only one huge name player, to take down the hero. No, you do whatever you can to make sure he wins that game at the end. They didn't. Conspiracy flame, extinguished. Russell is dollars to the NFL. They'd only profit from his success.

Osprey

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":38vtwnau said:
Russell Wilson is a billion dollar baby. He's near the top of merchandise sales since he's entered the league. To maximize that profit, you don't allow the Saints, who have only one huge name player, to take down the hero. No, you do whatever you can to make sure he wins that game at the end. They didn't. Conspiracy flame, extinguished. Russell is dollars to the NFL. They'd only profit from his success.

Devil's advocate...Russell fighting through injury to win the division is a better story than running away with the division early. Same argument for keeping Drew and the Aints relevant in their craptastic division.

rcaido

Reaction score
IF that is the case, does that me we will be gifted to make the playoffs, having Seahawks vs Patriots rematch? I think there will be a big controversy when we play the Patriots in 2weeks. Got to get those storylines happening.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
pugs1":e5lsiqun said:

I've been saying what you posted for years now.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I'll just say Willie Sneads OPI on that Saints TD that's wasn't called was inexcusable.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":2ulmyap3 said:
I'm not sure the NFL wants to realize this. They think the have a bigger cash cow by pushing Elliott and Prescott in Dallas.
Bigger fan base = more dollars, it's simple math. That's why the legacy teams have better odds of winning in Rog's NFL.

Outside of Green Bay, name a legacy franchise that has been screwed out of a playoff win or Super Bowl....and no Dez Bryant didn't catch the ball in the playoff game in Lambo (according to the rules as written) after getting a gift win courtesy of Rog and Deano the week before in Dallas against Detroit.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":a6u9w03w said:
I'm not sure the NFL wants to realize this. They think the have a bigger cash cow by pushing Elliott and Prescott in Dallas.
Bigger fan base = more dollars, it's simple math. That's why the legacy teams have better odds of winning in Rog's NFL.

Outside of Green Bay, name a legacy franchise that has been screwed out of a playoff win or Super Bowl....and no Dez Bryant didn't catch the ball in the playoff game in Lambo (according to the rules as written) after getting a gift win courtesy of Rog and Deano the week before in Dallas against Detroit.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
HawkerD":1vp84q2n said:
If you would say that just the way things go then you have Akeem's Razor. The simplest answer is usually correct.

I hate to be "that guy" but it's Occam's Razor.

Not at all to dilute your point. :)

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
HawkerD":39y375xl said:
You need to really get out more. The NFL is definitely in it for the $$ because t they are playing the long game. If it ever was exposed (and it eventually would get out) that the NFL was doing something to "enhance" the product then it would permanently damage the long term cash flow.

Think about it like this. Imagine that the ratings weren't down and today's game went exactly as it did. What would you say then? If you would find another reason for the officiating then why wouldn't that be the reason it went the way it did today instead of the ratings issue. If you would say that just the way things go then you have Akeem's Razor. The simplest answer is usually correct.

B0bc8c37b05fce176cad5452e2d28c90

More things should not be used than are necessary.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Jerhawk":w7ih9n2q said:
It's easy to think this way after a tough loss.

The truth is, the team didn't perform. Using officiating as an excuse and claiming the league is fixed is a contributing factor, but not the reason. The Saints won, the Seahawks lost. That's it. We're on to lose vs Buffalo

FIFY

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ic9jq3d said:
KARAVARUS":1ic9jq3d said:

I totally see the point about Dallas, and I maybe agree with you on it. I still don't believe the hawks vs saints is a predetermined affair. It doesn't make sense.

To the devils advocate guy, interesting take as well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I will never believe in conspiracy theories about pro sports..........because there's no reason the league cares who wins a mid season game between the Seahawks and Saints. So why would they direct the refs to call a game against one team or the other.

My issue with the refs yesterday was inconsistency. If you're gonna let both sides play, let em play.................and if you're going to call a tight game and throw a bunch of flags? Then make sure it's even. Saints had like two penalties for 10 yards, we had over 100 yards I think of penalties. I saw at least 3-4 holds on the Saints line, and another big time hit to the head that should have been called.

Let em play, or don't.......but good god man, call it both ways.

Latest posts