Copa America

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3gztxhet said:
I think it's struggling because this is a one-off event. If they made a combined North & South American tournament every 4 years then it might gain some traction. Matches involving popular teams have had decent attendance. USA v Colombia had 67k, Mexico v Uruguay had 60k, and Brazil v Ecuador had 50k.

Ticket prices don't help. I was intrigued by the event and thought it would be cool to go but $50 for the cheap seats for Haiti Peru? Really? Can understand the Argentina game being that price for the star aspect but not that game.

Would rather just spend that on a Sounders or Mariners for a team I actually care about than two countries I have zero affinity to.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2wz3t2jx said:
SeatownJay":2wz3t2jx said:
I think it's struggling because this is a one-off event. If they made a combined North & South American tournament every 4 years then it might gain some traction. Matches involving popular teams have had decent attendance. USA v Colombia had 67k, Mexico v Uruguay had 60k, and Brazil v Ecuador had 50k.

Ticket prices don't help. I was intrigued by the event and thought it would be cool to go but $50 for the cheap seats for Haiti Peru? Really? Can understand the Argentina game being that price for the star aspect but not that game.

Would rather just spend that on a Sounders or Mariners for a team I actually care about than two countries I have zero affinity to.

Same here, I signed up for the email notifications, but then as soon as I saw the ticket prices + US not playing any opening round matches at the Clink, I bailed.

I do think once this gets to the quarters and semis, the interest and excitement will be high.

Smurf

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3kqx2tbz said:

Like this?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/06/0 ... -cup-merge

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":2viyy0yv said:
SeatownJay":2viyy0yv said:

Like this?

In theory its not that much different than what is happening right now, which isn't going all that well.

The inconsistency of the Copa America itself (they played this tournament last year) will need to be addressed (every four years its the standard format, every 4 years its the mixed format).

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I went to the Haiti/Peru game and it was a decent match. Haiti seemed over matched a lot of times but they held up really well. Peru had a nice goal for a 1-0 final. Haiti had a really nice chance in added time could have easily tied it.

I'd say less than 10,000 people there. You could have bought a ticket on the street for $5 easily.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":39mij3j3 said:
Smurf":39mij3j3 said:
SeatownJay":39mij3j3 said:

Like this?

In theory its not that much different than what is happening right now, which isn't going all that well.

The inconsistency of the Copa America itself (they played this tournament last year) will need to be addressed (every four years its the standard format, every 4 years its the mixed format).

Would rather they scrapped the Gold Cup and just merged the two conferences and have Copa America every 4 years. Would give the US a better test and gives the tournament more exposure with the US market.

Keep the qualifiers regional (North/Central America) for the World Cup so there is less travelling.

I hate the fact the Gold cup is every 2 years and messes with MLS season when usually it's between the US and Mexico to win it with the odd Carribean team getting hot and making a final.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Meanwhile, in the United States.....

CarolNelson_t810.jpg

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Credit to Dempsey and Jones....

...and Bobby Wood

Done listening to Gulati by the way. USSF is a mess right now. They've messed about with the youth set up and can't stop focusing on negatives with the main squad. And now he has comments on the presidential election?

Puppet

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2jsupkt6 said:

...and Bobby Wood

Done listening to Gulati by the way. USSF is a mess right now. They've messed about with the youth set up and can't stop focusing on negatives with the main squad. And now he has comments on the presidential election?

Puppet

I've disliked him for a while now. He doesn't have a backbone.

Also, its nice to see Dempsey is still a quality player....especially when those around him continue to play and make runs when he's on the ball.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Smurf":3d3a2sxb said:
Uncle Si":3d3a2sxb said:

...and Bobby Wood

Puppet

Also, its nice to see Dempsey is still a quality player....especially when those around him continue to play and make runs when he's on the ball.

I have to disagree Smurf...

Dempsey is a shell of a player. He is slow, self serving and lacks any desire to move the ball off his feet until its the last option. Players are flying around the field trying to give him options that he is just not recognizing. Hell, they gave him an assist on Jones' goal where he dribbled into the defender and the ball fell to Jones to finish. His other assist was simply passing the ball 10 yards to Wood (who had been waiting for 5 seconds).

Dempsey just had a nice first 45. So credit to him. He should not be on the field for this team in meaningful matches. Unfortunately, there isn't anyone else.

Smurf

Reaction score
Uncle Si":sn5995os said:
Smurf":sn5995os said:
Uncle Si":sn5995os said:

...and Bobby Wood

Puppet

I have to disagree Smurf...

Dempsey is a shell of a player. He is slow, self serving and lacks any desire to move the ball off his feet until its the last option. Players are flying around the field trying to give him options that he is just not recognizing. Hell, they gave him an assist on Jones' goal where he dribbled into the defender and the ball fell to Jones to finish. His other assist was simply passing the ball 10 yards to Wood (who had been waiting for 5 seconds).

Dempsey just had a nice first 45. So credit to him. He should not be on the field for this team in meaningful matches. Unfortunately, there isn't anyone else.

So we should field 10 men then? What a ridiculous view point.

I'm not saying he's the player he was 8 years ago...but he's still a good player. He deserves to be on the pitch....

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I said we should field 10 men? What a ridiculous impression to what I said.. have a word.

He's not a good player, not for this level. He slows the team down in attack, doesn't cover much "pitch" and gives the ball away far too cheaply. Unfortunately, as I said rather distinctly, there is no one else to play in that position.

I gave him credit for playing just well enough to allow better players goal scoring opportunities. As I said, his goal was earned by someone else, his first assist was actually a defender taking the ball away from him and it going somewhere else, and his 2nd was a nice ball that took about 5 seconds too long to get there. Fortunately for the US... Costa Rica was happening.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2el67zi6 said:
I gave him credit for playing just well enough to allow better players goal scoring opportunities. As I said, his goal was earned by someone else, his first assist was actually a defender taking the ball away from him and it going somewhere else, and his 2nd was a nice ball that took about 5 seconds too long to get there. Fortunately for the US... Costa Rica was happening.

I think you're being overly critical Si. Dempsey had a goal and 2 assists last night, that's not dumb luck, the man can still play.......AND more importantly gives the US much needed grit and leadership.

If we're being critical, I'm much more critical of our midfield play with Bradley and Jones, those two can't seem to figure it out. They're constantly doing the SAME thing, as opposed to what a good midfield tandem does, switch off and interplay with each other. Jones is constantly getting caught too far forward, and Bradley has lost at least a step or two, which makes for trouble on the counter when he gets dispossessed.

Anyway, if we're handing out needs, upgrades and criticism of this version of the USMNT, Dempsey is pretty far down the list of criticisms from what I've seen so far.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I just disagree on Dempsey. I know he's a Sounder and that shifts things for some. Honestly I wouldn't care if he was my neighbor. His influence is negligible when you consider it over a 90 minute match. I'm not trying to pick a fight with you guys. I just see it differently.

His goal was a penalty earned by another player. His first assist wasn't actually a pass. He had Jones sitting wide for nearly 30 seconds but instead tried to take on 4 players. The ball was deflected to Jones who finished from 20 out. Dempsey did actually luck himself into the assist.

I don't think Dempsey is "grit and leadership." His head is down most of the time. He's not seeing the activity around him at a level commiserate with his responsibility and supposed quality. He's selfish, or worse just not seeing better options than his own. His second assist was passing the ball literally 8 yards where Wood did a wonderful turn and finish. Even there, the pass was stubbornly late and a good group of defenders close that option out before Dempsey decides its the best option. He's frustrating to watch. I am looking forward to the day when a proper CM can come in and allow Bradley to move into that 8/10 role. Or better yet, when a proper, fluid inventive CAM emerges from the USMNT program. Dempsey was that player for a brief time. He's just not right now.

I don't disagree on either Jones or Bradley's performances, but both had far better games than Dempsey in terms of overall impact. Jones was all over the "pitch" for the US, at times even pushing into Bradley. In a match where the US were out-possessed 60-40, those two were the only way the US was getting the ball back and getting forward. Brooks also had an unheralded strong game I suppose.

I guess these are more my concerns about the quality of the US program in general. I mean hell, Wondolowski came on for Dempsey. that's just heartbreaking.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1p9i8ysn said:
I don't think Dempsey is "grit and leadership." His head is down most of the time. He's not seeing the activity around him at a level commiserate with his responsibility and supposed quality. He's selfish, or worse just not seeing better options than his own. His second assist was passing the ball literally 8 yards where Wood did a wonderful turn and finish. Even there, the pass was stubbornly late and a good group of defenders close that option out before Dempsey decides its the best option. He's frustrating to watch. I am looking forward to the day when a proper CM can come in and allow Bradley to move into that 8/10 role. Or better yet, when a proper, fluid inventive CAM emerges from the USMNT program. Dempsey was that player for a brief time. He's just not right now. .

This is kinda the Marshawn Lynch conversation. Us fans see the antics, the arguing, the aloofness and equate that to bad leader.

But every teammate of Dempseys, both on the Sounders and on the USMNT say his tenacity, hustle and leadership is 2nd to none..............and I know I'm right because at this point in his career it's the main reason Jurgen keeps calling him up. Clint's a gamer, clutch, he's always been that way.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Two things here...

I'm not saying he's a bad leader, i'm sure he's got plenty to say to rile up the troops.... i don't think he plays like a leader though. He can be as tenacious as he wants. he doesn't defend and loses the ball too much for soccer at this level.

I think Clint is on the team because the US literally has no other viable option in that position. And for that I am sad, and perhaps taking out that sadness on Clint.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Uncle Si":11ffs18k said:
I think Clint is on the team because the US literally has no other viable option in that position. And for that I am sad, and perhaps taking out that sadness on Clint.

It's a mirror image of the Sounders, do you go young and unproven...............because the USMNT does have some very young promising forwards. But as we've found out with Morris, potential doesn't win matches.

Bottom line for me Si is results. Clint still shows up on the stat sheet just about every match with goals and/or assists.

Should we already have his replacement on the pitch and contributing? Probably. But we don't, so Dempsey it is, and like I said there's far more glaring issues with this squad than Dempsey.