D-Line Possibles, or are we good?

knownone

Reaction score
It doesn't make any sense to trade away Clark and trade for Clowney in the same off season.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Complete pipe dream, but I would LOVE the Hawks to land Yannick Ngakoue in a deal with the Jags.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Pass.

The Hawks COULD trade for him but in 2019 he's playing on the franchise tag ($16M) and there's no gaurantee that he'll sign with Seattle when he becomes an UFA after the season. The deadline for an extension has passed.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I don't think there is really any realistic options out there to provide large improvements. More then likely we will add a few vets here and there and see who sticks.

OP
OP
H

hawksfan35

Reaction score
I agree with everything that is doesn't make sense to trade for Clowney after trading Clark - I am also a big fan of building from within. I believe we have the potential to have a very versatile d line with Green & Collier having the ability to move inside on 3rd down - I am so excited to see what Poona can do for us!

Go Hawks

chris98251

Reaction score
There will be vets available in 3 weeks that can plug and play the middle, edge guy maybe but it could cost a bit unless they are willing to do a prove contract.

knownone

Reaction score
chris98251":1j1d5qq7 said:
There will be vets available in 3 weeks that can plug and play the middle, edge guy maybe but it could cost a bit unless they are willing to do a prove contract.
If the team feel's they don't have enough pass rush I'm fine with them paying what ever it takes to fill the hole. Our first 6 games are against some great offenses, I'd hate for that to negatively impact our season because we wanted to save a few million.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I don't see any moves being done unless we get to game 4 and are in a hole with the pass rush being a blatant, proven problem. I think that's where it's at. It needs to be proven that this group CAN'T when you'll also have two guys coming back mid season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
knownone":2eewtlgs said:
It doesn't make any sense to trade away Clark and trade for Clowney in the same off season.

This.

Even with the recent Reed suspension, it makes zero sense to trade away a better player in Clark to sign a lesser player in Clowney.............and still have to pay him roughly the same amount.

Only thing that'd change my mind is if there's something we don't know about Ziggy's timeline or overall health in getting back to his dominant play. But all things point to him being on track to start playing at the beginning of the season.

Chawker

Reaction score
I agree with what has been said in this thread, but given possibilities that we could acquire Clowney for a second round pick (we got a #1 for Clark) and could sign him for about what was offered to Clark 17 ish mil. It is a opportunity to increase our pass rush and both ziggy and Collier are injured, well.... Think about it a little bit more. :idea:

P.S.Ziggy, Woods, Collier, Clowney on 3rd downs opposing Qbs wouldn't know to poop or go blind. :2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
Chawker":15r6zm81 said:
I agree with what has been said in this thread, but given possibilities that we could acquire Clowney for a second round pick (we got a #1 for Clark) and could sign him for about what was offered to Clark 17 ish mil. It is a opportunity to increase our pass rush and both ziggy and Collier are injured, well.... Think about it a little bit more. :idea:

P.S.Ziggy, Woods, Collier, Clowney on 3rd downs opposing Qbs wouldn't know to poop or go blind. :2thumbs:

Problem since the offer to Clark we have signed Wagner, that may skew what is available for now.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Even if Ansah plays game 1, I'm not so sure that Martin doesn't lead the team in sacks with 9 and ends up matching Clowney on that front anyway. Martin is eerily similar to Chris Clemons when he came in to the league and even plays with better bend and is better refined in hand technique at this stage in their careers.

Another bad injury might make them pull the trigger on SOMETHING, but Clowney is such a stretch.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":1b02210z said:
Chawker":1b02210z said:

Problem since the offer to Clark we have signed Wagner, that may skew what is available for now.

We still have 20M of cap space, so there's definitely room for Clowney. But then you're only leaving yourself 4-5M for the rest of the year for injuries and room to operate.

As much as I'd love to add Clowney to our already thin D-line, I don't like the idea of getting rid of Clark and adding Clowney and the draft pick(s) it'd take to get him. To me that's a step backwards for almost the same money.

sutz

Reaction score
Chawker":3azs3q8f said:
4-5 plus we'll trim off some when the cut down to 53 happens. So we would be golden money wiz.
Most of the guys we cut won't even be on the 51 man salary cap roster anyway. Probably won't clear more than a few mill going to 53.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I didn't think Clowney was that good either, until i read Robs blog

In the last 24 hours multiple reports have suggested the Texans are ready to deal Clowney. It’s starting to feel inevitable he’ll move on before the start of the season.

Make no mistake — he’s a fantastic player.

In the last three years he’s accumulated 54 TFL’s. In 2017 his 21 TFL’s ranked #2 in the league and in 2016 he led the NFL with 17. Last year he had 16 but only ranked at #11.

In comparison, Frank Clark had only 11 TFL’s in 2018 and had 32 over the last three seasons.

http://seahawksdraftblog.com

And like Chris alluded to, i doubt Seattle signs anyone until after the first regular season game because IIRC, they don't have to guarantee the salary.

ivotuk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":33cq3pwu said:
Even if Ansah plays game 1, I'm not so sure that Martin doesn't lead the team in sacks with 9 and ends up matching Clowney on that front anyway. Martin is eerily similar to Chris Clemons when he came in to the league and even plays with better bend and is better refined in hand technique at this stage in their careers.

Another bad injury might make them pull the trigger on SOMETHING, but Clowney is such a stretch.

I was thinking this exact same thing. Didn't you mention this point not long after the draft? Somebody did, maybe it was me! :les:

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I know I said it, but it was quite a few people. Probably yourself as well. Chris Clemons played with a serious aggression in terms of his mentality as a hunter. That's a huge trait as a pass rusher, probably beyond many other traits. Martin plays with that same fire. They're a little bit different, but that part is the same. Gives no schucks.

xray

Reaction score
Clark may score more sacks ; but Clowney is more disruptive overall against offenses ...TFLs etc. Head to head ; Clowney has the edge ; but they are close . If the Hawks pursue Clowney ;it would seem like they are trying to correct the mistake of trading Clark away . IMO