DE Kerry Hyder signs with Seattle

Fade

Reaction score
My hope with Hyder is they make him a DPR, let Collier get beat up playing the run, and then put a fresh Hyder on the field to go get to the QB.

This is a bargain signing with a low cap hit, great job by the front office. 2 years / $6.5M total is ridiculously cheap.

I would still like to add Dunlap, though.

Jville

Reaction score
94Smith":2ynmx0zl said:
He was a god send on the 49ers defensive line last year with the loss of Bosa and Ford. I really wish they would have resigned him, but the cap is getting tighter with the resigns they have done already. I also think Witherpsoon finished the season really strong last year and showed promise (finally). All you have to do is look at the last game of the year against the Seahawks.

Nice. I see Hyder was on the field for 69.6% of the snaps. I presume his endurance was good. Wondering how well he drops into short coverage in support of zone blitz. Any thoughts along those lines?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3nfmayn2 said:
Ior a possible hint that Reed could be released/dealt and they need to replace his interior pressure, imo.

I'm thinking this too. Like the signing. Now if they can still get Dunlap or somebody in that realm, now we're talking.

Fade

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2zhf2xz7 said:
Combining the value of Mayowa and Hyder signing today, Seattle is set to pay a hair under 8 million this year for guys who totaled 14.5 sacks last year.

It will come in way under $8M in 2021 cap hits. Hyder is on board for 2 w/3rd voidable, Mayowa apparently signed a 4 yr deal, allowing them to spread the money out, and create lower numbers for 2021.

The salary cap is officially a joke, but I won't complain watching the Seahawks take advantage of this joke system. 8)

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I don't think it was the Baldinger quote posted here but I am sure I heard his name on someone's list as one of those potential under the radar free agents that would be a good signing.

"Voidable years" seems to be the new "signing bonus" to maneuver around the cap

sutz

Reaction score
A-Dog":1tyffpbi said:
I don't think this rules out Dunlap or Clowney.
Dunlap maybe. We know Clowney is not a LEO type and has never been a sack artist. Somehow I doubt they go there again.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
I'm good with it. Was 43 de at detroit before 9ers. 9ers moved him around some playing in a 34. He will mostly likely be on the edge, but I wouldnt put him in zone. He is not bad at all getting to the qb.

Idk. I'm hung up. I was cool with dunlap taking snaps away from robinson and taylor this year. But now hyder.
I'm sure we dont need both. If we do then cool. Hyder is a good signing, but I like what I saw in Robinson. I expect taylor to be real good. It's just weird. Green and collier kind of profile the same. Hyder and robinson kind of similar. Dunlap isn't a true Leo even though he has the experience to play it well. Dunlap more aligns with what collier and green do. Which is kick inside on 3rd downs.

I guess...

Mayowa/ taylor
Hyder/robinson/collier/green
Reed/collier/ green
Poona/mone

I dont see dunlap getting signed. Unless they sign him...have competition to see who sticks and release someone after camp. Which could happen.

I still see them signing a bigger interior before dunlap.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Love this signing! Looks like a good rotational 5-tech who can rotate inside on passing downs.

LDE: Collier/Hyder
LDE: Reed/Hyder
NT: Ford/Mone
RDE: Mayowa/Taylor

All about strengthening the rotation.

MagnificentSeven

Reaction score
Frozenropers":3o9o21ag said:
Love this signing! Looks like a good rotational 5-tech who can rotate inside on passing downs.

LDE: Collier/Hyder

Not sure why everyone is sleeping on Alton Robinson. He was very impressive last year, when they finally let him play in the rotation. Good Motor, and provided 4 sacks for a 5th round player. I expect him to make the jump and contribute 8-10 this year.

flv

Reaction score
I don't know who Hyder is but I do know who Ebukam is. If the 49ers prioritised Ebukam as a Day 1 signing over Hyder then the 49ers probably don't think much of Hyder. For the record Ebukam is a mediocre depth chart player.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
MagnificentSeven":1uvgx52t said:
Frozenropers":1uvgx52t said:

LDE: Collier/Hyder/Robinson

Not sure why everyone is sleeping on Alton Robinson. He was very impressive last year, when they finally let him play in the rotation. Good Motor, and provided 4 sacks for a 5th round player. I expect him to make the jump and contribute 8-10 this year.

Good point! I am actually pretty high on Robinson after seeing him flash a number of times last season. Total brain cramp leaving him out of that rotation plan.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
flv":xpved0di said:
I don't know who Hyder is but I do know who Ebukam is. If the 49ers prioritised Ebukam as a Day 1 signing over Hyder then the 49ers probably don't think much of Hyder. For the record Ebukam is a mediocre depth chart player.

I think it was a mistake on their part, just like Arik Armstead's contract. They've not made great decisions on the defensive line. Solomon Thomas, Armstead over Buckner, proceeding to pay Armstead lots of money...

I don't really trust their judgment, and for this kind of contract for Hyder? Real low risk.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This is an excellent signing. Now if we can somehow still bring Dunlap back I am going to be ecstatic and give our Free Agency 2021 an A+.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I can't help but question the judgement of our FO a tad for picking up castoffs from teams that play in a division we won last year. Seems like a potential step backwards to let what we had go while acquiring as replacements players considered non-keepers from teams we beat for the division title.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Appyhawk":1qu9zjp0 said:
It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I can't help but question the judgement of our FO a tad for picking up castoffs from teams that play in a division we won last year. Seems like a potential step backwards to let what we had go while acquiring as replacements players considered non-keepers from teams we beat for the division title.

I don't think it really speaks to much that they're from the same division. Fact is, SF ran a defensive scheme that started out essentially as a copy-paste of Seattle's and the Rams offensive coaches run the show here now. Makes sense that they'd acquire a disproportionate amount of players from both teams due to scheme fit and the similarity of the archetypes they covet at each position.

flv

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":13nzpa2a said:
I think it was a mistake on their part, just like Arik Armstead's contract. They've not made great decisions on the defensive line. Solomon Thomas, Armstead over Buckner, proceeding to pay Armstead lots of money...

I don't really trust their judgment, and for this kind of contract for Hyder? Real low risk.
That's fair enough. In Ebukam's case he was a traditional 3-4 ROLB who didn't really fit what the Rams wanted. Maybe he fits the 49ers. Maybe Hyder didn't fit the 49ers and will better fit the Seahawks scheme. I'm always concerned about taking the bottom of someone else's roster and paying them as key depth personnel. FA grass often looks greener than your own.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
flv":1i1t6wlr said:

Ebukam is 5 years younger and plays an entirely different position.

Hyder is like adding a stronger Q. Jefferson but with Michael Bennett’s relentless motor and ability to hand jive.

Elemas

Reaction score
It doesn’t seem like we’ll get Dunlap back but, maybe we get lucky.

I also think Robinson is going to be good this year. He’s got a year under his belt and played well.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Hyder will be starting. Outside edge. He is that good as far as our impact dline. Collier will back him up and interiors.

toffee

Reaction score
Hyder means the Collier experiment wasn't too successful, as both are Bennett lookalike? That also means Hawks could still sign Carlos if money fits.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk