Details on the Russell's failed trade to Chicago.

toffee

Reaction score
After a LOT of conversations, the final offer was the 2021 first rounder, 2022 first rounder and a 2022 third rounder. Schneider wanted more. Pace didn’t budge. Ultimately, they agreed. How done was the deal? The Bears were already making plans for how they wanted to introduce Wilson as the new face of the franchise.

If this Chicago Bears blog writer would to be trusted, our Russ not only initiated his willingness to leave Hawks, he actually signed off on the trade to Bears, only to be vetoed last minute by Pete. By the way, Jody and Schneider also signed off.

So what happened?
Most of the hurdles had been cleared. Wilson signed off. Schneider signed off. Ownership signed off. Unfortunately, the last and most important hurdle proved too high. Head coach Pete Carroll. He had the final say on every roster decision and just wasn’t willing to consider a rebuild at that point.

https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-b ... ls-emerge/

https://dabearsblog.com/2021/bears-at-s ... me-preview

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Any information from a website with the domain name as "sportsmockery.com" doesn't seem to be very credible to me. Just saying.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1vrmevd2 said:
Any information from a website with the domain name as "sportsmockery.com" doesn't seem to be very credible to me. Just saying.

So true, I therefore stated "if this Chicago Bears blog writer would to be trusted".

On the other hand, you can read all the major news outlet on this trade, non reported rejection by our QB or ownership, since John was the one doing all the negotiation and meeting with Bears' GM, one could assume that the offer got his blessing. So what we do know:

1. Russ express his dissatisfaction on Hawk's coaching staff (no confidence were the words he used)
2. Russ agent announced four acceptable teams, he is a professional agent with decades of experience, he won't make that announcement without OK from Russ. Besides, Russ didn't deny his agent's announcement.
3. John was talking and meeting with potential suitors, result of 1 and 2.
4. One could assume with confidence that Bears had some level of contact with Russ or his people before making that offer .
5. Bears made an offer with the understanding that Russ was willing to play for them.
6. John presented the offer to ownership and Pete, since John talks to the ownership regularly on behalf of Pete and Pete very talked to Jody infrequently.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
If that's the case, that's a pathetic trade offer.

2 1sts and a 3rd?

Now? Maybe. Definitely feels too low pre-2021 season.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
MyrtleHawk":2dguwdx4 said:

2 1sts and a 3rd?

The offer was low when there's no other serious suitor? It's always supply and demand, isn't it?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
toffee":307vw8gh said:
hawkfan68":307vw8gh said:

So true, I therefore stated "if this Chicago Bears blog writer would to be trusted".

On the other hand, you can read all the major news outlet on this trade, non reported rejection by our QB or ownership, since John was the one doing all the negotiation and meeting with Bears' GM, one could assume that the offer got his blessing. So what we do know:

1. Russ express his dissatisfaction on Hawk's coaching staff (no confidence were the words he used)
2. Russ agent announced four acceptable teams, he is a professional agent with decades of experience, he won't make that announcement without OK from Russ. Besides, Russ didn't deny his agent's announcement.
4. One could assume with confidence that Bears had some level of contact with Russ or his people before making that offer .
5. Bears made an offer with the understanding that Russ was willing to play for them.
6. John presented the offer to ownership and Pete, since John talks to the ownership regularly on behalf of Pete and Pete very talked to Jody infrequently.

I understand where you are coming from. If this had any ounce of trustworthiness, you would see folks from the national media all over it. Guys like Adam Schefter, Ian Rappaport, Jay Glazer, etc. Nothing about it from them. Heck even a Seattle based reporter like John Clayton or Brady Henderson would have some type of info collaborating this. None.
Russell Wilson is a hot topic for media when discussing the Seahawks. Yet this news is relatively quiet.
Only the links you provided are from Chicago based sources. That's why I'm questioning the credibility of the sources.

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
toffee":ydmw77ah said:
MyrtleHawk":ydmw77ah said:

2 1sts and a 3rd?

The offer was low when there's no other serious suitor? It's always supply and demand, isn't it?

You're right.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3w1esa4w said:
toffee":3w1esa4w said:
hawkfan68":3w1esa4w said:

I understand where you are coming from. If this had any ounce of trustworthiness, you would see folks from the national media all over it. Guys like Adam Schefter, Ian Rappaport, Jay Glazer, etc. Nothing about it from them. Heck even a Seattle based reporter like John Clayton or Brady Henderson would have some type of info collaborating this. None.
Russell Wilson is a hot topic for media when discussing the Seahawks. Yet this news is relatively quiet.
Only the links you provided are from Chicago based sources. That's why I'm questioning the credibility of the sources.

I questioned the credibility of that report too, especially the part John presented it to Jody before Pete. Sounded too incredible. I don't doubt Russell was willing to join the Bears, it was on his list of four teams.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
toffee":25g8ohhf said:
hawkfan68":25g8ohhf said:
toffee":25g8ohhf said:
hawkfan68":25g8ohhf said:

I questioned the credibility of that report too, especially the part John presented it to Jody before Pete. Sounded too incredible. I don't doubt Russell was willing to join the Bears, it was on his list of four teams.

Here's some information I found from an article, dated April 28 2021, regarding the failed RW trade with the Bears. This is a quote specifically from John Schneider regarding the RW trade rumors -
"There was a number of teams that called after that media blitz that happened," Schneider said. "But no, I never actively negotiated with anybody and with any team. Did people call? Absolutely."

Obviously John S didn't sign off on the trade like you have been claiming he did. If John didn't sign off, I'm pretty certain the ownership wouldn't have either.

Here's the full article - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ce-russell-wilson-actively-engage-trade-talks

chris98251

Reaction score
hawkfan68":14brwwq1 said:
toffee":14brwwq1 said:
hawkfan68":14brwwq1 said:
toffee":14brwwq1 said:

Here's some information I found from an article, dated April 28 2021, regarding the failed RW trade with the Bears. This is a quote specifically from John Schneider regarding the RW trade rumors -
"There was a number of teams that called after that media blitz that happened," Schneider said. "But no, I never actively negotiated with anybody and with any team. Did people call? Absolutely."

Obviously John S didn't sign off on the trade like you have been claiming he did. If John didn't sign off, I'm pretty certain the ownership wouldn't have either.

Here's the full article - https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ce-russell-wilson-actively-engage-trade-talks

Do you know what damage control is? John had to walk back on this because he didn't want to have a rift with Wilson that they were going to unload him.

Jville

Reaction score
chris98251":3598onv1 said:
hawkfan68":3598onv1 said:
toffee":3598onv1 said:
hawkfan68":3598onv1 said:

Do you know what damage control is? John had to walk back on this because he didn't want to have a rift with Wilson that they were going to unload him.

Whose damage control would that be?
The source or the posters?

chris98251

Reaction score
Jville":1xvtc54v said:
chris98251":1xvtc54v said:
hawkfan68":1xvtc54v said:
toffee":1xvtc54v said:

Would try and paint you a picture but John63 and LTH used up all my paint.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
chris98251":12xam5ud said:
hawkfan68":12xam5ud said:
toffee":12xam5ud said:
hawkfan68":12xam5ud said:

Yes I do. It could very well "damage control". However, we aren't close to 100% certain it is are we?
When making definitive statements as -
"John Schneider signed off, Ownership signed off, and Russell Wilson signed off." as facts that they actually happened, please make sure you cite credible sources. I don't believe the sources given by the OP are credible. They keep stating these as "facts" and not their opinion in other threads too. It's not a fact it's an opinion or assumption at best on what may have happened.

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":3kzqsiur said:
hawkfan68":3kzqsiur said:
toffee":3kzqsiur said:
hawkfan68":3kzqsiur said:

Can you prove it was damage control as opposed to the truth? No you can't.

Mix

Reaction score
chris98251":1e80tt78 said:
Jville":1e80tt78 said:
chris98251":1e80tt78 said:
hawkfan68":1e80tt78 said:

Would try and paint you a picture but John63 and LTH used up all my paint.

Speaking of damage control and walking things back......

Natethegreat

Reaction score
This could just as easily be damage control on the Bears front office part to say hey we tried. No one actually knows what all went down. I would hardly trust this persons account of it. By the way Justin Fields has potential but he did not look good at all this year.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1p7ocm12 said:
By the way Justin Fields has potential but he did not look good at all this year.

And that could well be our issue if we trade Russ and go with a new QB. Great potential does not always evolve into great results.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Bears didn't make sense from any trade scenario.

1. The compensation would have NEVER been less than three 1sts and probably also one of their best players.

2. They have no one on their roster worth including in a trade.

3. They were only willing to offer two 1sts and a 3rd. One mid round 1st, and we assume one low round 1st once Russell elevates them to a 8-10 win team in 2021.

So even if Pete OK'd the deal, the deal wasn't worth trading a top 5 QB in his prime with three years left on his contract.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":22ul83ln said:
The Bears didn't make sense from any trade scenario.

1. The compensation would have NEVER been less than three 1sts and probably also one of their best players.

2. They have no one on their roster worth including in a trade.

3. They were only willing to offer two 1sts and a 3rd. One mid round 1st, and we assume one low round 1st once Russell elevates them to a 8-10 win team in 2021.

So even if Pete OK'd the deal, the deal wasn't worth trading a top 5 QB in his prime with three years left on his contract.
Agreed, this always seemed (to me) to be a ploy by the Bears desperate front office to show they tried. No way was that offer even close to being enough. Not now and definitely not then.