DK way underutilized

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Drops are frustrating, but you have to remember DK's still developing..........and talk to anyone on the team or the league, and they'll tell you he's developing FAR faster than anyone expected because of how hard he works.

Dude was just running go routes two 1/2 years ago in college. Did you see the precision on the TD route yesterday? Extremely impressive with DK's development.

So I'll forgive a handful of drops per year with having arguably the biggest emergent WR star in the league right now.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
His route running was supposed to be a weakness too. All I see is a guy who is becoming VERY good at his routes.

AubHawk71

Reaction score
If he is drawing extra attention from defenses then that means he's contributing by being a team player, not just a highlight reel prima donna. Defensive coordinators have figured out how to cover him, so now he needs to figure out how to get open. Adjustments.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I think some of DK's drop problems are overplayed in here. One of those "drops" was a defender straight up knocking the ball out of his hand, because he had slow down to catch an underthrown ball. He does struggle sometimes with drops, but from what I've seen it looks to be him focusing on running before he secures the football.

Even though DK struggles with drops sometimes, he offers something that none of our receivers do. He puts the fear of god into the opposing defenses. I've never seen Lockett doubled as often as I see DK doubled. Teams will bracket their coverage towards him all day, and always have an idea of where he is at all time. This allows guys like Lockett to gash defenses repeatedly. Even with that double coverage, DK does a good job breaking free. His route running in particular has gotten very good.

I think where they should be using DK Metcalf more is on screens, end arounds, and short passes designed to get the player in space. DK Metcalf seems to be very good when you get him in space. I'd like to see him utilized in the short passing game kinda like Golden Tate was. He seems to have a knack for breaking tackles and creating plays in space.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm not worried about him at all. But he does drop passes from time to time. Something that is extremely rare for Lockett. High standards? Absolutely. But I think of guys like Fitzgerald who feel like they drop MAYBE one pass a year. DK is not only elite, he is going to be a top 5 WR at some point, in the league. Like I said before, it seems like just about every time he has had a bad drop, he comes back in the same game and makes up for it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3t3euzxs said:
I think some of DK's drop problems are overplayed in here. One of those "drops" was a defender straight up knocking the ball out of his hand, because he had slow down to catch an underthrown ball. He does struggle sometimes with drops, but from what I've seen it looks to be him focusing on running before he secures the football.

Very few big receivers have great hands, let's get that out there for this conversation. Calvin Johnson is the only big receiver I can think of that also had great hands.

Randy Moss had over a 10% drop to catch ratio, Terrell Owens who's top 5 in every WR category had an almost 20% drop ratio.

Anyway, my point is it's a little too early in DK's career to get on him too much for the drops. Especially considering how far he's come in only two years with everything else.

Fade

Reaction score
DK's hands must get better, and he needs to rapidly improve at coming away with the ball in contested situations.

If he does not, I am not comfortable giving him $20M+ a year to keep him.

chris98251

Reaction score
Fade":26bpyn5a said:
DK's hands must get better, and he needs to rapidly improve at coming away with the ball in contested situations.

If he does not, I am not comfortable giving him $20M+ a year to keep him.

Really think thats what he is needing to work on, he was a fly guy, wide open or over the top catcher in College, catching in traffic in the middle crossing is a lot different, between hearing footsteps, looking or peeking where guys are at, or thinking of your move its concentration and finishing the catch before going down or making a football move. Wilson has been known to throw guys into defenders also, so it will take time to get that feel and catch there.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Love DK, but he has 4-5 drops already this year. Just catch those two yesterday, and he is at 7-90+ and a TD. That’s a productive day for a WR.

edogg23

Reaction score
CPHawk":6botmdn9 said:
Love DK, but he has 4-5 drops already this year. Just catch those two yesterday, and he is at 7-90+ and a TD. That’s a productive day for a WR.
Your version of drops and official drops like pff tracks must be completely different then. If you are catching a contested ball and the defender knocks it out it’s not a drop. Same if it’s a bad ball. Are there some you like to see him make it he was perfect, sure…. But I think stat wise he had as many or less “drops” as Lockett this year, which I don’t think anyone would say on here has problems catching the ball.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2qfhqlc8 said:
Spin Doctor":2qfhqlc8 said:

Very few big receivers have great hands, let's get that out there for this conversation. Calvin Johnson is the only big receiver I can think of that also had great hands.

Randy Moss had over a 10% drop to catch ratio, Terrell Owens who's top 5 in every WR category had an almost 20% drop ratio.

Anyway, my point is it's a little too early in DK's career to get on him too much for the drops. Especially considering how far he's come in only two years with everything else.

Admittedly both Owens and Moss played in a time when you could contest catches and light up receivers. So it may not be a fair comparison.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":pzswp13r said:
Given his pure physicality, it seems like DK would be a complete beast on contested catches. But unless my eyes deceive me he really isn't. He seems to do best when he uses his speed and size to create separation. I think they'd have to target him on more shorter routes for his catch numbers to really jump.

When he pouted last year and RW forced the ball to him, it didn't end too well.
He plays smaller than he is in contested catch situations. That's not something that changes typically. He's starting from such a physical advantage that if he shores up his hands it won't matter too much, but it'll still show up.
Guys that don't use their hands well to catch balls, aren't good in a contested situation. They want to cradle the ball with hands and arms. Think about trying to snatch a rebound over other players, but trying cradle the ball instead of strong hands. Highpointing the ball, as they say, is not possible without using your hands

chris98251

Reaction score
Really Russ and him should spend time doing high point catch drills so he can anticipate his leaps and hands high. Not a typical drill I am sure but it would be very beneficial. In fact all of them could do that Swain and the TE's also.

hawker84

Reaction score
DK better learn how to catch first. If I was RW I'd be looking Lockett then him at this point. Gotta make those kind of catches at this level.

hawker84

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":92x73z37 said:
DK has made a ton of clutch catches. Stop acting like he's some liability :roll:

Lol, ok. He's no Lockett or Baldwin at this stage in his career.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Let's ask his opponents if DK is the real deal or not. My god, it hurts my brain sometimes listening to you doom and gloomers.

hawker84

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2upqj5r9 said:
Let's ask his opponents if DK is the real deal or not. My god, it hurts my brain sometimes listening to you doom and gloomers.

As opposed to you Homers? If you're saying he doesn't have room for improvement, you clearly have not been paying attention. If saying that makes me a doom and gloomer, ok, either way it's an opinion, nothing to get your panties in a bunch over.