Do We Love Julian Love Yet?

olyfan63

Reaction score
How is Julian Love doing as a Seahawk? Is he an upgrade over Ryan Neal? How is he fitting with the Seahawks scheme, and is he shaping up to be worth the cost of acquiring him?
I've only read bits and pieces and have no opinion yet. All I know is he played all 66 defensive snaps vs. the Lions, so at least the coaches like him.

knownone

Reaction score
He gave up 100 or so passing yards against the Lions. I don't know if he's the actual issue, but the stats have not been kind to him. Overall, he's been fine. He's making high-end backup money, so I wasn't expecting him to be great.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Neal vs Love is an interesting conversation. I think we need to hold judgement for a couple more weeks, but a healthy Neal was an asset.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I think Neal was a better "in-the-box" safety, but Love is a very good coverage safety.

I've heard a lot of negative talk about Love and Coby Bryant's play in that game, but Amon-Ra St. Brown is an elite receiver. He makes everybody look bad and last year was #7 in receptions, with a QB that ranked #6 in accuracy, and that plays behind one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. So having Amon-Ra catch passes on you is not the sign of a bad DB.

Last year, Goff was #5 in passing yards with 288 per game.

Early days yet, but I saw some good stuff from Coby Bryant and Julian Love. They will only get better as this new, young defense gels.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Jury's still out. He's been pretty mediocre, especially in the passing game.

But only two games, and safety play depends so much on gelling with the front seven and Diggs on the back end, so not going to be too harsh on Love. But yeah, so far not being the impact player we thought we might be getting.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I think Neal was a better "in-the-box" safety, but Love is a very good coverage safety.

I've heard a lot of negative talk about Love and Coby Bryant's play in that game, but Amon-Ra St. Brown is an elite receiver. He makes everybody look bad and last year was #7 in receptions, with a QB that ranked #6 in accuracy, and that plays behind one of the best offensive lines in the NFL. So having Amon-Ra catch passes on you is not the sign of a bad DB.

Last year, Goff was #5 in passing yards with 288 per game.

Early days yet, but I saw some good stuff from Coby Bryant and Julian Love. They will only get better as this new, young defense gels.

He wasn't getting burned by just Amon-Ra. He couldn't stop LaPorta and Josh Reynolds either when he was covering them. The week before he struggled with guys named Puka and Tutu.

With that said, I hope his play improves as the season goes forward. If he can get better, it only helps the team. He's not the only one that needs to improve their game - Diggs too. Both had some of the lowest grade on defensive side.

Last edited:

homerun1970

Reaction score
He wasn't getting burned by just Amon-Ra. He couldn't stop LaPorta and Josh Reynolds either when he was covering them. The week before he struggled with guys named Puka and Tutu.

With that said, I hope his play improves as the season goes forward. If he can get better, it only helps the team. He's not the only one that needs to improve their game - Diggs too. Both had some of the lowest grade on defensive side.

Puka turned around and gave the niners fits as well. He looks to be legit.

ivotuk

Reaction score
(Apparently Love couldn't cover some apparent scrubs).

He couldn't stop LaPorta and Josh Reynolds either when he was covering them.

Sam LaPorta 2nd round pick, another Iowa Tight End) 5 Receptions vs 2 Time World Champion Chiefs, 5 receptions vs Seahawks.

"Sam LaPorta is the first Tight End in NFL History to log 5+ receptions in his first two games."

Josh Reynolds, 8 year veteran stats: vs Seahawks: 5 receptions for 66 yards. vs 2 Time World Champion Chiefs, 4 receptions for 80 yards.

The week before, he struggled with guys named Puka and Tutu.

Puka Nacua wins NFL Rookie of the Week for 15-catch performance vs 49ers

Tutu Atwell vs Seahawks 6 catches, vs 49ers: 7 catches.

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
(Apparently Love couldn't cover some apparent scrubs).

He couldn't stop LaPorta and Josh Reynolds either when he was covering them.

Sam LaPorta 2nd round pick, another Iowa Tight End) 5 Receptions vs 2 Time World Champion Chiefs, 5 receptions vs Seahawks.

"Sam LaPorta is the first Tight End in NFL History to log 5+ receptions in his first two games."

Josh Reynolds, 8 year veteran stats: vs Seahawks: 5 receptions for 66 yards. vs 2 Time World Champion Chiefs, 4 receptions for 80 yards.

The week before, he struggled with guys named Puka and Tutu.

Puka Nacua wins NFL Rookie of the Week for 15-catch performance vs 49ers

Tutu Atwell vs Seahawks 6 catches, vs 49ers: 7 catches.

He had the 2nd worst grade of all the Seahawk DBs who played in week 2.

Diggs received the worst grade.

Last edited:

JPatera76

Reaction score

May want to watch this video for perspective

Yeah I think Love is one of a few reasons why We’ve been good and shutting down the opposing teams run game. (And Wags and Brooks are MY other reasons lol ) Loves Gap discipline has been tremendous.

Too many people are trying to look for a Kam type safety imo. That’ll never happen. We’ll probably never has another one.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Yeah Love is like 3rd on the team in tackles. I’m liking him so far

Mad Dog

Reaction score
People are making far too much of the coverage issues and the fact is, it's hard to cover receivers like the old days. Can't touch em, can't drill em. What I've noticed is that he's been in the right spots and it's taken a good throw and good route to beat him. I've like Love's play this year more than Diggs TBH.

Latest posts