1st round QBs 2024

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The 2024 draft had six QBs drafted in the first twelve picks. 2024 equals the 1983 draft for number of 1st round QBs, but far surpasses ‘83 in the way and abruptness that they were chosen.

History tells us that at least three of them will be busts. Who do y’all see as the biggest potential QB busts in this draft?

Maulbert

Reaction score
The 2024 draft had six QBs drafted in the first twelve picks. 2024 equals the 1983 draft for number of 1st round QBs, but far surpasses ‘83 in the way and abruptness that they were chosen.

History tells us that at least three of them will be busts. Who do y’all see as the biggest potential QB busts in this draft?
Penix and Nix, then Daniels.

Scout

Reaction score
Honestly QB success these days hinges just as much the team they go to not just how they may project into the pros. Of all the QBs drafted in the first round Nix is walking into the easiest job.

SP built up the OL last season, added Mims and bruising RB Perine to pair with Williams. Brought Trautman to team with Dulcich. This seasons they signed Reynolds to be a consistent WR out there with Mims and Sutton. But then they turn around and draft Troy Frankling this year and take a flyer on another big bodied WR in Vele in the 7th round. Oh and they added another bruising RB in Estime.

The Broncos did that despite all the cap restraints they are operating with due to the fall out of the Wilson contract. Also because of the lost draft picks because of the Wilson and SP trades respectively.

I like what the Bears, Patriots and Commanders did through the draft. But they are probably a year out from competing as they still have a lot of question marks. Only Caleb will be asked to play earlier of the three.

McCarthy is similar to Nix in that he is walking into a pretty nice situation if he is being asked to start early, but we shall see. Jefferson, Addison, and Hockenson is pretty damn good. Throw in Jones and Chandler and McCarthy can thrive with that cast.

The Falcons have an offensive roster that Penix can succeed with on offense but I do not know what they will look like two years from now. So it is the Cousns show.

Right now I am thinking Daniels has the highest bust capability. I am not sure if Mariotta is a good enough bridge QB and Daniels may be forced to play earlier before he is ready.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think the long term picture in Atlanta is a smoke screen, they will unload Cousins if Penix looks the part after year one, no team wants to sit a starter that can excel. Cousins can end up somewhere else that becomes needy. The Falcons need to build a better team and you can't do that easily with a salary like Cousins.

Scout

Reaction score
I think the long term picture in Atlanta is a smoke screen, they will unload Cousins if Penix looks the part after year one, no team wants to sit a starter that can excel. Cousins can end up somewhere else that becomes needy. The Falcons need to build a better team and you can't do that easily with a salary like Cousins.
Possible but the earliest that they can unload Cousins due to his contracts is 2 years. Similar situation the Broncos faced with RW contract.