Does anyone else notice...

toffee

Reaction score
Russ made all pro and is one of only 3 QB's to pass for 30TD's in 4 consecutive seasons in NFL history. Also has more comeback wins than Rodgers in 3 less seasons.
Good points again, and Russ worked hard those stats.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Russ made all pro and is one of only 3 QB's to pass for 30TD's in 4 consecutive seasons in NFL history. Also has more comeback wins than Rodgers in 3 less seasons.

Wilson made second-team All-Pro once. Rodgers has been second-team All-Pro once and first-team All-Pro four times.

Rodgers has placed second in Offensive Player of the Year voting four times, and third, fourth, and fifth in the OPoY voting once each.

Wilson has been third in the OPoY voting twice and fourth twice.

So that's seven times in the top five for OPoY for Rodgers and four for Wilson.

Rodgers has been NFL MVP four times and placed fifth in the MVP voting in another season. So five times in the top five for MVP.

Wilson has never gotten even a single MVP vote, much less placed in the top five.

keasley45

Reaction score
Wilson appears to be on track for election to the Hall of Fame, but there's still significant uncertainty, and his success in Denver will be very important in deciding whether he's a first-ballot HoFer, a non-first-ballot HoFer, or not a HoFer at all.

Given that Wilson wanted out of Seattle and had a no-trade clause (and rejected a trade to Washington that would have been noticeably better for the Seahawks than the Broncos trade ended up being), Wilson clearly could choose his destination. He chose Denver, thinking that was where he could win. So if he doesn't perform at a top-tier level (and win titles) with Denver, no excuses. And that's how HoF voters will see it.

EDITED to add two things:
1) I didn't see @olyfan63's post before making mine. They were posted within a minute of each other. But we said basically the same thing.
2) Bob Griese has made lists of most-undeserving HoF inductees. He was only elected in his fifth year of eligibility. But Griese called his own plays, his Dolphins had the best winning percentage in the NFL (and all pro sports!) in the 1970s, he placed fourth and second in MVP voting, and he was first-team All-Pro twice. Russell Wilson has been second-team All-Pro once and has never gotten a single vote for MVP. It is not at all clear that Wilson will be a first-ballot HoFer. We (and the HoF voters) will have to see what he does in Denver.

Wilson appears to be on track for election to the Hall of Fame, but there's still significant uncertainty, and his success in Denver will be very important in deciding whether he's a first-ballot HoFer, a non-first-ballot HoFer, or not a HoFer at all.

Given that Wilson wanted out of Seattle and had a no-trade clause (and rejected a trade to Washington that would have been noticeably better for the Seahawks than the Broncos trade ended up being), Wilson clearly could choose his destination. He chose Denver, thinking that was where he could win. So if he doesn't perform at a top-tier level (and win titles) with Denver, no excuses. And that's how HoF voters will see it.

EDITED to add two things:
1) I didn't see @olyfan63's post before making mine. They were posted within a minute of each other. But we said basically the same thing.
2) Bob Griese has made lists of most-undeserving HoF inductees. He was only elected in his fifth year of eligibility. But Griese called his own plays, his Dolphins had the best winning percentage in the NFL (and all pro sports!) in the 1970s, he placed fourth and second in MVP voting, and he was first-team All-Pro twice. Russell Wilson has been second-team All-Pro once and has never gotten a single vote for MVP. It is not at all clear that Wilson will be a first-ballot HoFer. We (and the HoF voters) will have to see what he does in Denver.
Wilson's legacy rides on what he does in Denver. It's interesting that there's still so much skepticism around his worthiness at this stage of his career. I've heard no less than 3 interviews this week discussing Russ, where the question being asked was whether he was as good as he thinks he is and how, now that he has exactly what he's asked for, his play in year 11 will shape perception around who and what he was in the 10 years prior.

I think if he retired this year, he'd absolutley be in the convo for the HOF. Definitely not first ballot, but I think he'd eventually get in. And so that makes me wonder what he will do when his tenure in Denver isn't the victory lap he's hoping for and he struggles, potentially even worse than he did here... and the reason for those struggles come right back to him.

For a guy as concerned about his legacy as Russ, I wouldn't be surprised if things go badly, that the 'reason' for his poor play is attributed to an injury. And he callas it quits. If he's not great, and continues to play , he loses everything he built in Seattle, as the consensus will no doubt be that Russ was a product of a system and leaned on a running game and defense to win ultimate success and complete his game.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
In a sense, Russ is already in the HOF. IIRC, after the game against Buffalo where he ran for 3 TDs and passed for one, I think it was his cleats that went on display in the HOF.

fullquartpress

Reaction score
That the whole culture and attitude of the team has seemed to progressed leaps and bounds since Russ left? All of a sudden old players like Sherm are wanting to be involved again, renewed faith in Pete, guys seeming to have a great attitude...

I feel like this move has given Pete's career a much needed reset. He's free from being forced to run a team around Mr incredible. I know there are a lot of Pete haters but I really think that when it's all said and done there's a chance Pete looks better than Russ post divorce.

Anyone else feeling this about the clubs culture?
I'm too far away to notice, but players with lower $ values may be less stressful, for teammates, and fans.

Last edited:

rcaido

Reaction score
Pathetic

Of course Wilson is HOF just like Rodgers. Wilson just needs to continue to do what he has been doing. If he does win another that would be a top 10 all time convo.

toffee

Reaction score
Pathetic

Of course Wilson is HOF just like Rodgers. Wilson just needs to continue to do what he has been doing. If he does win another that would be a top 10 all time convo.
Nailed it, Wilson has to excel at least at the level of past 4 years, so he may still get into HOF, but not first ballot.

Wilson basically painted a picture that his past performance was handicapped by Pete's meddling in offense. And Denver has an offense minded HC, better OL, and supposedly better skill position players. If Wilson couldn't get looks at by MVP voters and make All pro, Wilson's HOF chances will be impacted negatively.

Death

Reaction score
Let's be honest:

Wilson did some great things for this team, but it was past time for him to go. Last couple seasons I didn't like how he approached things whatsoever.

He doesn't play here anymore and tbh I am glad of that. He moved on and most but not all, fans have moved on and that is what it is.

olyfan63

Reaction score
or that dude likes to run in circles before throw a long bomb.
Good one!! Strangely, it was hard to find highlights on YT of Russell's best scrambles and deep throws. This is what I found, but it's a mix of Russell's scramble runs as well as passes, and includes a couple floaters to Lynch. Found anything better, highlights, for the scramble-throwing focus?