Draft A Potential Franchise QB In April

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
One of the best defenses of all time . Walter Payton?
For Bears fans, the question was “How did we lose that Dolphins game?” I couldn’t get it on TV. Had to listen to it on radio. Broke my heart. Marino & Co. had the perfect game plan.

renofox

Reaction score
Immediately after letting RW go $$$ P&J addressed the Oline in the 22 Draft = Cross & Lucas, Lewis did damned good before getting moved to the other side, the 23 Draft = Olu-Olu & Bradford and NONE of these guys are "Mid Level Retreads" Geno is an interim/Placeholder- You Have to "Play The Cards in Your Hand".
The FACT that they were interested and trying to get Mahomes tells me that they know the kind of talent the Seahawks need and will TRY to go after....WHEN AVAILABLE
Cross: 1.09, The only 1st rounder on OL in 7 years. Even though they had a crap OL the entire time. A top-10 pick should be a plus starter - Cross has displayed replacement level play with a few flashes and a few wtf's.

Lucas: 3.72, He can't even play an entire game and has a chronic knee issue. I don't expect him to play much longer.

Lewis: 3.69, Started out showing promise but was "coached up the Seahawks way" and is now sub-replacement level.

Olu: 5.154, PC would rather play the #32 rated center as starter.

Bradford: 4.108, It took Haynes playing at worst-guard-in-the-league level for weeks before Bradford got significant playing time. He flashes massive power, but also misses A LOT of blocks. Maybe he can progress to replacement level? Maybe better?

Who have they brought in that was replacement+? Duane Brown, Mark Glowinski.

Who have they had at replacement(-) level? Evan Brown, Austin Blythe, Gabe Jackson, Brandon Shell, Mike Iupati, DJ Fluker, Germain Ifedi, Luke Joekel, Oday Aboushi, George Fant, Gary Gilliam.

I still see plenty of mid-level(-) players and very few plus players. I guess we just see things differently.

As for the whole "JS wanted Mahomes and Allen!" thing? How do we know he didn't also want Trubisky, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Mac Jones, and Haskins?

I'll believe JS is a QB drafting genius once I see the results of his 2nd real QB pick. If he ever makes one.

Rat

Reaction score
As for the whole "JS wanted Mahomes and Allen!" thing? How do we know he didn't also want Trubisky, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Mac Jones, and Haskins?

I'll believe JS is a QB drafting genius once I see the results of his 2nd real QB pick. If he ever makes one.
This is something I've always wondered too. The only other QB I remember our front office being linked to at draft time is Jacoby Brissett, who had one promising season with the Colts and has been awful since, but keeps getting jobs because he's experienced. It's something I colloquially refer to as the "Rick Mirer Effect" (how that guy lasted eight seasons and convinced five teams to sign him is beyond me). As that reference becomes more outdated, I may end up replacing it with the "Teddy Bridgewater Phenomenon" or something like that.

Ozzy

Reaction score
PCJS have a horrible track record of gaining value from their own 1st round picks.

2010.6 Okung
2011.25 Carpenter
2012.15 Irvin
2013.25 (+2 picks) Harvin
2014.32 (multiple trade downs for crap)
2015.31 (+Unger) Graham
2016.26 Ifedi
2017.26 (multiple trade downs for crap)
2018.18 (trade to .26 for Penny+crap)
2019.21 (lots of trades, .29 Collier)
2020.27 Brooks
2021.23 Adams
2022.10 Adams
2023.20 JSN

That's a whole lot of capital spent on almost nothing. They could have bundled 1st rounders to move up lots of times. They should have moved up in 2023. They BETTER move up in 2024 for a shot at a QBOTF. It's not like they'd be giving up anything of real value, based on their history.

Take a shot. If you miss, try again.
This is pretty bad and people can’t excuse it with the “they draft late” excuse. They’ve flat out been bad in the first round. Thankfully Witherspoon looks like he’s going to be a hit. I hope Cross is too

NoGain

Reaction score
What PC/JS have done with their first round picks have been less than inspiring once you get past...

--Earl Thomas
--Witherspoon
--JSN
--Okung

But they did find some great value in the later rounds for a few years there.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Cross: 1.09, The only 1st rounder on OL in 7 years. Even though they had a crap OL the entire time. A top-10 pick should be a plus starter - Cross has displayed replacement level play with a few flashes and a few wtf's.

Lucas: 3.72, He can't even play an entire game and has a chronic knee issue. I don't expect him to play much longer.

Lewis: 3.69, Started out showing promise but was "coached up the Seahawks way" and is now sub-replacement level.

Olu: 5.154, PC would rather play the #32 rated center as starter.

Bradford: 4.108, It took Haynes playing at worst-guard-in-the-league level for weeks before Bradford got significant playing time. He flashes massive power, but also misses A LOT of blocks. Maybe he can progress to replacement level? Maybe better?

Who have they brought in that was replacement+? Duane Brown, Mark Glowinski.

Who have they had at replacement(-) level? Evan Brown, Austin Blythe, Gabe Jackson, Brandon Shell, Mike Iupati, DJ Fluker, Germain Ifedi, Luke Joekel, Oday Aboushi, George Fant, Gary Gilliam.

I still see plenty of mid-level(-) players and very few plus players. I guess we just see things differently.

AGAIN, you are throwing shit against the wall to fit your NEGATIVE Narrative...It doesn't matter what the hell I or anyone else has to say about Positivity, you will just piss on it just like EVERYTHING ELSE being said about Pete OR John= D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G, & negative-CRAP!!

renofox

Reaction score
AGAIN, you are throwing shit against the wall to fit your NEGATIVE Narrative...It doesn't matter what the hell I or anyone else has to say about Positivity, you will just piss on it just like EVERYTHING ELSE being said about Pete OR John= D-I-S-G-U-S-T-I-N-G, & negative-CRAP!!
I'm sorry I hurt you in the feels.

I'll try to be more gentle in the future.

Here you go: 🌈🌈🌈🦄🦄🦄

Feel better now?

seahawks08

Reaction score
The first question to ask is probably do we have the right coaches and support staff in place so we can do more with less? I feel we have too much talent that’s not translating to the field. I feel Pete should choose a heir apparent who is excellent in Xs and Os and groom to hand over the reigns and move to operations and mentorship. This guy should be given all the staff and support he needs using Pete’s and John’s connections and scouting. Then build a strategic vision around his philosophies and draft that way.Rams didn’t draft a QB and 49ers picked Purdy late. I believe the QB pick should be made with that in mind if Pete is not coming back post 2025. Otherwise as an organization we have put ourselves in a tight spot with a blue print no one else wants to inherit except in-house current next in line coaches. To me I don’t see a HC potential coach in his current roster which is why I would go with this approach.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I'm sorry I hurt you in the feels.

I'll try to be more gentle in the future.

Here you go: 🌈🌈🌈🦄🦄🦄

Feel better now?
Nah, even though you ain't very good at it, you just keep right on Pretending to make sense, and who knows, maybe the light will come on, eh? I ain't holding out much hope for any kind of honesty to be coming from ya though ;-)
People talking about the last ten years of bad Drafts by John & Pete are full of crap, first off, Russell Wilson is NOT a conventional Quarterback (just ask Payton how well he uses a "Conventional" O-Line ) so AFTER the Seahawks get shed of him, P&J go for O-Line upgrades, and right off the bat, > you < and a few others PEE all over the Picks they made BEFORE they even have the time to grow/meld with the rest of the Offensive line.
Just shows how much y'all DON'T KNOW.

Last edited:

renofox

Reaction score
Nah, even though you ain't very good at it, you just keep right on Pretending to make sense, and who knows, maybe the light will come on, eh? I ain't holding out much hope for any kind of honesty to be coming from ya though ;-)
People talking about the last ten years of bad Drafts by John & Pete are full of crap, first off, Russell Wilson is NOT a conventional Quarterback (just ask Payton how well he uses a "Conventional" O-Line ) so AFTER the Seahawks get shed of him, P&J go for O-Line upgrades, and right off the bat, > you < and a few others PEE all over the Picks they made BEFORE they even have the time to grow/meld with the rest of the Offensive line.
Just shows how much y'all DON'T KNOW.
Thank you for sharing your magnificent and superior intelligence and wisdom with all of us stupid plebes.

We are not worthy of such munificence.

🌈 🌈 🌈 🦄 🦄 🦄

I'll try harder to stop hurting your feels.

Last edited:

Welshers2

Reaction score
Ok but putting aside all that other stuff who shoild they pick??

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
What PC/JS have done with their first round picks have been less than inspiring once you get past...

--Earl Thomas
--Witherspoon
--JSN
--Okung

But they did find some great value in the later rounds for a few years there.
My question is, versus any other team in the league, how does this fare? Is this actually bad? Good? Average?

In addition to those, we had Carpenter who was a starter for two more teams after leaving here. Irvin was a starter when he left the Seahawks, too. As was Ifedi.

I think it's too early to say the Cross pick was bad and I like Jordyn Brooks.

So, 2 Pro-Bowlers, two guys who look like future Pro-Bowlers, plus 3 other dudes who were considered starter quality by multiple other teams besides just Pete and John.

Is that actually a bad record? I don't know, but every time I am assured that Pete and John don't know how to draft, nobody ever provides any context.

As for the main point, yeah, I think we should draft a QB, especially if they see one they really like. I think Geno is actually good (or at least has been while with the Seahawks) but he's 33, not really 'QB of the Future' age, so we should look for that dude and get him if he's available. Is it our biggest need? No, not this year and maybe not even next year if Geno restructures or Pete isn't worried about the cap hit, but it's going to be.

My only caveat is if Pete/John actually do think Drew is a potential QBOTF. I don't, but I don't see him in practice every week so I'd be willing to defer to them.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
I think we know how this will play out. Geno is a Friend of Pete so they will keep him around no matter what. In order to justify that they will low ball Lock who will move on and then cry how they want “consistency” at the position to justify Genos overpay. They will sign a cut rate back up and draft a late round QB. Next year will be no better than this year and the same people who like the Not a Super Bowl Contender Shit sandwich they have been getting for years will get another year of it. Another year neither contending nor BUILDING a contender.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I think we know how this will play out. Geno is a Friend of Pete so they will keep him around no matter what. In order to justify that they will low ball Lock who will move on and then cry how they want “consistency” at the position to justify Genos overpay. They will sign a cut rate back up and draft a late round QB. Next year will be no better than this year and the same people who like the Not a Super Bowl Contender Shit sandwich they have been getting for years will get another year of it. Another year neither contending nor BUILDING a contender.
Is the Friend of Pete thing your new trademark? Is this the next "Jodi with an I?"

CactusJack

Reaction score
I think it's too early to say the Cross pick was bad and I like Jordyn Brooks.
Is Cross a bad pick?

He isn't Walter Jones. But he's significantly outperformed both Evan Neal & Ike Ekwonu, from that same draft. He's your highest graded lineman this year (PFF) & it isn't close. They we're also in dire need of a LT at the time.

Sure, Kyle Hamilton looks like an absolute stud. I guess u can also argue that taking Garrett Wilson or Chris Olave would have been a better choice. But a lot of those prospects have underwhelmed to this point. Especially the other Tackles in that class. Both Cross & Abe are the best of that bunch.

Boye also appears to be a major hit. He's currently your best edge rusher. If Nwosu doesn't get hurt, this pass rush is significantly better with those two.

Last edited:

chris98251

Reaction score
If John plans on staying after Pete retires from the sidelines ( I think Pete stays on in the front office BTW ) they will need a QB for the next run. Pete wants one more as a coach I think and they have pretty much sold out to do that and we will see a bigger push next year for it, after that??????

WarHawks

Reaction score
Seeing the love fest between Pete and Geno in the news doesn't give me much hope Pete is interested in drafting a qbotf who could actually take us to a sb. I won't be surprised if it doesn't happen until after Pete is gone, sad to say, although I could see him taking a flyer on one as an afterthought in the mid rounds. I think it's likely we have several more years of Purgatory before we see any drastic changes.

12forlife

Reaction score
I think Geno has a picture of Pete kissing a goat in lipstick 💋. No way a real coach rides Geno a 3rd season? How does it go? To keep things the same, and expect a different result is insanity.