Duane Brown attending minicamp but wants new deal.

niveky

Reaction score
The big problem is that even though o-linemen can play well through mid to late 30's, isn't he already like about 35? Even though he is still playing really well and if he played that way through the majority of another contract, then he would definitely deserve the money based on how he has been playing and rewarding him, but what happens in 6 months- a year or so he starts breaking down and then they've paid him all this money. If they were somehow able to do it maybe they could give him a bigger payday in the first year of an extension and then more of a regular salary the other 2-3 years of the extension or something. there are a lot of variables to consider, and also i don't think anyone is really set on secure knowledge of how long the cap is going to take to recover from the whole shut down even though there are estimates and stadiums are getting set to go to full capacity and such(although i don't know that all will).

xray

Reaction score
He owes the Hawks one year and he gets 10 mil . I don't think the Hawks will stick their necks out very far to make a 36 year old LT happy for much longer if at all . It's worrisome that the best OL player the Hawks have will be 36 .

sutz

Reaction score
We don't really have a player going forward to step in when Brown retires, so I think we have to do something here.

I'm sure Schneider can engineer a team friendly deal to carry us over.

Rat

Reaction score
sutz":19agbhl1 said:
We don't really have a player going forward to step in when Brown retires, so I think we have to do something here.

I'm sure Schneider can engineer a team friendly deal to carry us over.

Stone has the athletic profile for it, but regardless, you're right that it would be foolish to assume we can just replace him. I could have said the same thing in that last sentence about George Fant at one point. Hopefully something gets done, even if the perception ends up being that we let ourselves get held hostage. I wouldn't feel bad about it.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I’d want a raise too if I had to deal with a diva QB who’s always looking for the kill shot

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
xray":39ct1bm0 said:
He owes the Hawks one year and he gets 10 mil . I don't think the Hawks will stick their necks out very far to make a 36 year old LT happy for much longer if at all . It's worrisome that the best OL player the Hawks have will be 36 .

It's not worrisome at all. Last season, he was legitimately playing like a top-3 left tackle. There's very, very little room for him to be any better than he is. He'd be the best lineman on the vast majority of NFL teams.

massari

Reaction score
The only reason to extend him now is if they want to open up more cap space for this season. If not, they can just tag him next off season if they can't reach a deal.

Hoping they take the gamble and extend him now so they can make some more significant free agent/trade roster additions.

BASF

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1yljto47 said:
xray":1yljto47 said:

It's not worrisome at all. Last season, he was legitimately playing like a top-3 left tackle. There's very, very little room for him to be any better than he is. He'd be the best lineman on the vast majority of NFL teams.

I will go a bit farther than this, he was better than anyone on a Seahawks team since Walt and before.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'd most certainly give Brown a new 2-3 year deal.

He's still playing at a very high level, and he's the leader and cornerstone of the entire offensive line. 4-5 year deal? No. But definitely another 2-3 year deal with big upfront guaranteed/bonus money to make him happy.

I don't think we have a choice. Our O-line is already mediocre, you take him off it, and it's downright frighteningly bad.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He's still an elite Tackle. An extremely important position, and he's one of the biggest leaders on that team.

2 years would be perfect.