Duane Brown, DJ Fluker listed as Doubtful vs Browns

DJrmb

Reaction score
Yuck, not good. I really hope Brown just needs this one week to rest his bicep...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/johnpboyle/status/1182748515186790400[/tweet]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Garrett's going to have eight sacks just by himself if Brown doesn't play.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, that's brutal. Both are a HUGE part of this line and their success. But losing Brown would be a LOT worse imo. Still a couple days, fingers crossed.
If there ever was a game to run the ball a LOT, this would be the one. I prefer Russ actually survives.

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
JaMarco Jones is listed as his backup. However, he's been practicing and prepping all week to start at RG for Fluker. They may go Fant Iupati Britt Jones Ifedi... I kind of hope they go Jones Iupati Britt Pocic Ifedi instead and keep Fant as that 6th lineman. That would be better for the run game, which is how you want to attack the Browns defense. They are 7th in pass defense, but they are 29th in rush defense.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
DJrmb":197eqdrf said:
JaMarco Jones is listed as his backup. However, he's been practicing and prepping all week to start at RG for Fluker. They may go Fant Iupati Britt Jones Ifedi... I kind of hope they go Jones Iupati Britt Pocic Ifedi instead and keep Fant as that 6th lineman. That would be better for the run game, which is how you want to attack the Browns defense. They are 7th in pass defense, but they are 29th in rush defense.
I suspect you'll see what you are hoping to see assuming Pocic remains healthy enough to start and play. I don't think it'll be lost on Pete than the 9ers ran all over Cleveland Monday.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Better be revving up the quick passing game.
Do what N.O. Did to Seattle’s defense.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":17slsifv said:
DJrmb":17slsifv said:
I suspect you'll see what you are hoping to see assuming Pocic remains healthy enough to start and play. I don't think it'll be lost on Pete than the 9ers ran all over Cleveland Monday.

The problem is Shanahan and the Niners have a dynamic running attack with three good backs and motion all over the place to stretch out and fool the defense.

Pete's more fond if the "hey everybody we're gonna just do the same six zone blocking run plays over and over and throw in a couple zone read plays where Russell never keeps it" type of run offense.

When's the last time we took advantage of a bad run defense?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, if they are going to run the crap out of the ball, they need to switch it up once in awhile. And for the love of God, can we stop with the shotgun and hand it to Carson 5-7 yards behind the line of scrimmage crap?

xray

Reaction score
This OL will be the cog in the wheel that breaks this season .

Mad Dog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":144d5r4r said:
Yeah, if they are going to run the crap out of the ball, they need to switch it up once in awhile. And for the love of God, can we stop with the shotgun and hand it to Carson 5-7 yards behind the line of scrimmage crap?

Has to be at least part of the packages since so many pass plays work off that setup. If there is no threat of run from the shotgun, it means the LB's are free to drop more quickly and clog the throwing lanes.

So while I'm with you about that "inside zone run from shotgun" being a crap play generally, you've got to show it and try to get a little success from it since it sets other plays up.

I really wish we'd get the trap game going with Iupati. That seems to be his forte. We've hit some big runs behind his trap blocks.

I'm pretty non-confident about this game with so many OL banged up. LT and RG out and backup guard ailing. Yikes.

I too hope for a starting lineup of Jones-Iupati-Britt-Pocic-Ifedi and Fant as swing tackle/TE. And loads of imaginative run plays.

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
not good, Pocic has been downgraded to Out now and may be headed to IR.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1182769127296888832[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1182765012990881795[/tweet]

HawkerD

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":35digaai said:
hawksfansinceday1":35digaai said:
DJrmb":35digaai said:

The problem is Shanahan and the Niners have a dynamic running attack with three good backs and motion all over the place to stretch out and fool the defense.

Pete's more fond if the "hey everybody we're gonna just do the same six zone blocking run plays over and over and throw in a couple zone read plays where Russell never keeps it" type of run offense.

When's the last time we took advantage of a bad run defense?

So true. Niners running game looked ridicules, not only the results but how the OL moved to create lanes. We have the 3 yds and a cloud of shredded rubber scheme.

HawkerD

Reaction score
DJrmb":aty4s01b said:
not good, Pocic has been downgraded to Out now and may be headed to IR.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1182769127296888832[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1182765012990881795[/tweet]

Wondering if Joey Hunt moves to center and Britt to RG. Eeek!

toffee

Reaction score
I would like to see Jamarco to step in for Brown and Roos for Fluker, risky, but hey we could be pleasantly surprised too. Fluker hasn't been that great pass protection wise, and Roos may not be that big a downgrade. As for Jamarco, he was drafted as future LT, this is a good test run. Fant can step in if Jamarco couldn't handle LT, Pete could move Jamarco to unless Roos is playing well.

With these injuries, and 9ers playing great, that lost to Saints really hurt.

ivotuk

Reaction score
George Fant is extremely athletic, and has played Left Tackle for us before. I'd like to see them prime him for that position.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'll admit I'm excited to get more of a look at Jones. Wish these injuries could have waited another couple of weeks until Haynes can get back. For as rough as it looks, there are actually several options for how they fill these spots, so that is promising. I would think they would like to have Fant stay as a tight end but I'm not sure you risk putting Jones out there at left tackle. I think you gotta put Fant there.

Latest posts