Emerson Hancock being called up!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just announced on 710 ESPN that Hancock is being called up. Very cool. Looking forward to seeing this kid pitch. My guess is that it's to give some relief to our young starters like Woo and Miller.

Mariners To Promote Emerson Hancock​

By Steve Adams | August 8, 2023 at 12:27pm CDT

The Mariners are calling up pitching prospect Emerson Hancock for his big league debut, reports Robert Murray of Fansided. Hancock, the No. 6 overall pick in the 2020 draft, is not yet on the 40-man roster and will need to have his contract selected.
Hancock, 24, has tossed 98 innings in Double-A this season, working to a 4.32 ERA with a career-best 26% strikeout rate, a 9.2% walk rate and a 42% ground-ball rate. He’s been prone to nightmare outings this season, twice being tagged for nine runs in a start and serving up seven runs in another. Outside those few hiccups, he’s generally been excellent; dating back to June 1, he’s sitting on a 2.97 ERA — despite the fact that one of those nine-run drubbings occurred along the way. Over his past four outings, Hancock has a 1.44 ERA and 26-to-4 K/BB ratio in 25 innings.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, Miller and Woo are already approaching their career maxes in innings per year. Gonna need to spell them going forward.

They've been talking Hancock up for a while now, so let's see what he's got.

On a side note, we're going into a stretch where we play a lot of games against teams with sub-.500 records. Can get some looks at Hancock with hopefully not much at risk. With the offense looking solid lately, we should be able to hold up.

sutz

Reaction score
Could go to a 6 man if needed.
Could, but that might have a negative impact on Castillo and maybe Kirby, since they're used to a 5 day cycle. I'm thinking they set up a rotation for Miller/Woo/Hancock that approximates that for them but doesn't affect the others much.

Oh well, that's why Servais and Woodworth get paid the big bucks. :)

Mix

Reaction score
Great decision. If he ends up producing like we all hope. With the return of a healthy Robbie Ray, the Mariners would have a bevy of trade chip pitchers.

Crizilla

Reaction score
And Woo lands on the IL. What a spot for Hancock playoff push and all, no pressure.

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Damn. Woo is pretty solid. Hopefully it's just the 15 day.
Hopefully people will remember that this is his MLB DEBUT and not expect him to just come out like Cy Young.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Is he being called up too early?

We shall see.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I'm guessing next years rotation will be: Castillo, Kirby, Gilbert, Miller, Hancock? With all the innings, I guess we could mix Woo in there.

86Hawk

Reaction score
Robbie Ray won't be ready until the all star break next year at the earliest. He had surgery beginning of May. Tommy John takes 14-18 months. We'll still need the young guys.

sutz

Reaction score
Robbie Ray won't be ready until the all star break next year at the earliest. He had surgery beginning of May. Tommy John takes 14-18 months. We'll still need the young guys.
That would be too bad. I'd really like to have a strong lefty in the rotation. I suspect Servais would, too. ;)

Chapow

Reaction score
Not the softest landing in the world. 1 thru 5 in that lineup is awfully good.

sutz

Reaction score
If he was a vet I'd give him a B. Solid outing and all that. Too many walks, and terrible at holding runners on base, but pitched out of some trouble.

Given his rookie status I give him an A on the curve. 5 innings, 1 run allowed. 3 walks and allowed 3 or 4 steals, but came through overall. Things to work on, but solid outing TBS.