espn hate/bias towards seattle in new article

Knuck Chox

Reaction score
Good points being made all around, imo. However, I think this discussion actually might be over the how we define the terms "hate" and "bias."

The way I read some of these comments makes me think some fans equate a lack of interest or ignorance regarding the Hawks by the national media with an actual antipathy toward the team. This is the "tinfoil hat" viewpoint that many (including myself) find a bit extreme.

My take is national networks absolutely target their coverage to the largest markets (NY, N.E., LA, Dallas, etc.). This is just Business 101: cater to the lowest common denominator — in this case, the greatest number of viewers/listeners.

As well, as someone who works in the communication field, I can tell you controversy will garner way more reactions, and therefore greater interest, even if the story is not nearly as universally impactful. New topics (rookie QBs, ascending teams) and those that can compel people to love or hate a team/person (the Browns) will thus rise to the top of the coverage. Whereas time-honored and "boring" topics (such as a robot QB and a coach who uses an archaic — yet still fairly successful — formula to build a team and play games) are relegated to the bottom of the broadcasts.

Our team is time-honored, steady, and drab. Who wants to talk about that? Not the national media. To me, it's not because they "hate" the Hawks, it's because viewers/listeners are more attracted to the next shiny thing, or something they can become emotionally involved in. Neither of these descriptions fit our Seahawks, and that's just fine with me.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don’t mind the media, other fanbases, the NFL viewing us as the “black hats”, heels, or bad guys.
That’s one thing I really loved about the LOB. Makes it even sweeter when you win.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":nd7co662 said:
. Can you imagine being a Carolina fan? McCaffery is having an unbelievable season and barely ever gets mentioned.s.

NOT correct. They've been talking all season about McCaffery's "MVP Season."

EVERY fan base has fans that experience strong emotions about their team. And make comments on a forum for their team that others disagree with. But rather than passing judgement on those fans or worrying about what other fans might think (they mostly don't care), offer an opposing opinion with something to back it up.

I know that most of the time you guys usually have great responses to these types of threads. Those are what i look forward to, but it seems more and more lately I'm disappointed. Although it's probably not your intention, It comes off as people trying to be holier than thou.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Prisco is an idiot. Always has been. Probably always will be.

I love being hated by him.

The Seahawks don’t need everyone’s love.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don’t mind the media, other fanbases, the NFL viewing us as the “black hats”, heels, or bad guys.
That’s one thing I really loved about the LOB. Makes it even sweeter when you win.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Win the whole dang thing then they have no choice but to respect you.
See XLVIII.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/jamisonhensley/status/1196575529203355649[/tweet]

Forget the media, even society is biased towards this team. It goes hand in hand. The lack of respect for Russ, Pete, and the Seahawks is why Pete wasn't considered for coach of the year last year, or any year he's coached. It's why John Schneider has never won GM of the year (a joke). It's why the media/public wishes to crown anyone but Russ the MVP (unless he's running away with it, it can't be close). And it's why the Seahawks aren't respected unless they are light years ahead of most other teams in the conference (like 2013, 2014).

But yea, we're just imagining the bias folks. Both from the national fan base, and the media. There's no evidence of this at all.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
SF fans complain too that national media largely ignores them. To an extent, I think that's true of most fan bases.

The national media's formula seems to go like this:

2) Anoint the latest "buzz" team. It's now Lamar and the Ravens, but at the beginning of the season, it was the Giants and the "Danny Dimes!" yapping. When that team loses more than two in a streak, move on to whatever the next anointee is.

1) Devote at least 40 percent of the broadcast to Dallas. It matters less how Dallas is actually doing. Everyone is presumed to be interested in whether Dak will get paid, whether their coach is secure and what their potential playoff position is. Less time is spent on coverage devoted to Green Bay, Patriots and Saints combined than talking about Dallas.

seahawksny

Reaction score
theseahawkguy":2ls1rogc said:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28074785/nfl-teams-players-most-likely-improve-decline-rest-2019-season

Hiarious- looks for everything wrong with the Hawks, but they find everything right about the Browns. Comical-

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shoot, just watching Red Zone on Sunday, just about every single time they showed a play by Jackson, it was "MVP Candidate, Lamar Jackson"

We get it already, just come out and say you want it to be Jackson or Mahomes and get it over with :?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":11mrzs8k said:
Shoot, just watching Red Zone on Sunday, just about every single time they showed a play by Jackson, it was "MVP Candidate, Lamar Jackson"

We get it already, just come out and say you want it to be Jackson or Mahomes and get it over with :?

Might have something to do with Jackson currently being the most exciting player in the NFL with a highlight reel of great plays on almost a weekly basis.

it was Mahomes last year, this year it's Jackson.......................so that's what sells on all the sports channel shows.

Russell's also had some great throws and runs, and those have been shown over and over the week after. I remember seeing his throw to Lockett in the corner of the endzone of the Rams game 100 times the following week.

Seattle, the home of the biggest inferiority complex is professional sports.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I love watching the guy play, if he gets the MVP, so be it. But I'm not gonna' just sit here and act like they are not pushing HARD for him to win it. It's nothing new, has nothing to do with some complex, it's the way it is. It happens every year. Meh, couldn't care less at this point and I don't expect Russ to win the MVP. He probably SHOULD but it won't happen.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":uhsqhz7b said:
I love watching the guy play, if he gets the MVP, so be it. But I'm not gonna' just sit here and act like they are not pushing HARD for him to win it. It's nothing new, has nothing to do with some complex, it's the way it is. It happens every year. Meh, couldn't care less at this point and I don't expect Russ to win the MVP. He probably SHOULD but it won't happen.

I think Russell's still the frontrunner............not only stat wise, but IMO Jackson's got a better team around him.

You take Russell off this team, and we maybe have 2-3 wins. You take Jackson off the Ravens, and they're still probably winning the AFC North. As we saw, really good defense and special teams, and some nice pieces on offense besides Jackson.

We'll see, long way to go.

John63

Reaction score
The reality is this most of the voters are east coast, so they see his games all the time, were as they don't see ours much. Add to that Wilson did not play this past week. I suspect if Wilson plays well this week he will be back on top. Form a stat perspective Wilson is way better.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If he gets it, awesome. If not, oh well. I'd love to see him get it, especially after 7 plus seasons of do much denial by so many in the media.