Experts are disrespecting the Hawks, again

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
We have many complete unknowns. I don’t see it as disrespect at all. We still have to learn the system and put it all together.

We could go 16-1 and some people on this board would still cry disrespect.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Carroll took over a Mora 5-11 team and improved it to 7-9 in his first year
Mora took over a Holmgren 4-12 team and improved it to 5-11 in his first and only year
Holmgren took over an Erickson 8-8 team and improved it to 9-7 in his first year
Eriksen took over a 6-10 Flores team and improved it to 8-8 in his first year
Flores took over a 7-9 Knox team and turned it into 2-14 in his first year
Knox took over a 4-5 McCormick/Patera team and improved it to 9-7 in his first year.

I ain't selling our young Macdonald short, Seahawks 2024 will be better than 2023. If Mora and Erickson could do it, surely our Macdonald can, no doubt about it. And young Macdonald ain't no Flores.

Last edited:

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
Mora took over a Holmgren 4-12 team and improved it to 5-11 in his first and only year
Holmgren took over an Erickson 8-8 team and improved it to 9-7 in his first year
Knox took over a 4-5 McCormick/Patera team and improved it to 9-7 in his first year.

I ain't selling our young Macdonald short, Seahawks 2024 will be better than 2023. If Mora and Erickson could do it, surely our Macdonald can, no doubt about it. And young Macdonald ain't no Flores.
Honestly, with our schedule (very favorable based on last year) and the expected improvement on D...which should be a given based on Mac Daddy's past performance at Michigan and Baltimore (que stock announcement on past/future performance), we should have a better season. Our O was good enough to win more games than we did last year. The D was the achilles heel.

Now just need to execute.

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
7-10? Based on this thread title, I was guessing they had us at like 3-14.

There are some things to like about our chances next year. There are also questions on both lines, a middle-of-the-road QB who is hitting the age his position often drops off precipitously, and one of the league's least-experienced coaching staffs. All that combined with a brutal division, and I have a hard time criticizing anyone who views us as slightly below-average.

I feel the media has been largely positive about our off-season moves for the most part, especially the coaching hires and the draft. I'm guessing they think the payout may not come immediately though, which I think is fair.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
If coach Mike was on a media darling team, this wouldn't be an issue. The media people are a bunch of jizz bags.
Think about it, if a media darling team finished last season 9-7 due to sux azz defense. The experts would be predicting 11-6 with the addition of Macdonald, wouldn't they?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
At this point I want to see the team play before predicting, though a base too 10-7 is good place to start.

I suspect the the team is better defensively and potentially close to last year's team maybe a game better so 12-5 is a fair upside and 10-7 is the base.

Likely more mental gymnastics than my man AROS to get there but the same.

hawks85

Reaction score
Think about it, if a media darling team finished last season 9-7 due to sux azz defense. The experts would be predicting 11-6 with the addition of Macdonald, wouldn't they?
Actually, probably SB champs for the next 5 years in a row. I HATE the media, I completely ignore anything they have to say.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
That was before we were blessed with young Macdonald.
People are acting like he's won two Super Bowls already. I'm optimistic, but he hasn't proven anything in this new setting. His first Seahawks draft was mediocre.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Disrespect is quite normal for the Seahawks.

Normally mostly these talking heads will find themselves eating crow by the end of the season. If the team is making the playoffs, expect more disrespect.

Lately that’s been deserved. If they were to win it’d be on for these guys who will be changing their stories.

Last edited:

Spin Doctor

Reaction score

Past results do not imply future returns, especially when each of these teams and coaches were vastly different. Not to say that MacDonald won't repeat what those guys did if not exceed their returns on the first year.

Especially considering that MacDonald has never been an HC at any level before. Just being an X's and O's whizz doesn't cut it at the NFL level. There have been many fantastic coordinators that have sucked as HC. Being an HC is a fundamentally different skillset than just being a coordinator. Some of the best HC's in the NFL don't even call their own plays. MacDonald could be anything, he could Bellichick, or Nolan or anything in between.

The main issue I see with this team is the lack of experience on both sides of the ball. Grubb has to transition to the NFL level and MacDonald can't only focus on one thing now. He has a lot more moving pieces to focus on.

For the record, I like MacDonald and think he was a solid hire. It's just hard to see what the roster will end up looking like. I could see us taking a dive this year then rising from the ashes the next. MacDonalds system in particular is very nuanced and far more indepth than anything Carroll ever did in Seattle. I think it's going to take a minute for them to gel. All i'm looking for is the product at the end of the year looking better and carrying momentum into the next season.

flv2

Reaction score
That's one way of saying it.
The Seahawks have great fans who stick with the team when things aren't great, fans who are knowledgeable, and fans who are loud at games. Every fan base has a contingent of fans who think the NFL, the officials, tv companies, and everyone else is against them. The perception is that the Seahawks have either the largest contingent or the largest proportion of fans that fit into that contingent. More likely the Seahawks have 1 of the larger fan bases outside of the franchises that have been historically uber-successful and thus it appears that way without it being true. It might also be because Seahawks fans are more willing to express such an opinion, (and at greater volume), when other fan bases that feel that way would tend to quietly grumble to themselves, or slink off and say nothing. Some fan bases accept it when things don't go their way. This fan base doesn't.