Florio: Hawks the favorite to land Julio

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Jones isn't going to help us get rid of the ball quicker.

If anything, get ready for more moonshots and sacks (when the protection does not hold up long enough for the moonshot we called).

I hope Julio loves run blocking though.

Because we all know how much our coach loves to run the ball.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I think we're just driving the price up for the whiners.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
We could have the best WRs ever and well, if there's not a defense we all see how that's worked in the past.

My concern is the cap issue. Look, if we can keep KJ and get this guy, great. If it's between them, well then we could be getting our star WR but then there's this KJ-sized hole that they're attempting to plug with someone who's a rook, or who isn't a natural at the position, or Barton.

I understand Julio's appeal, but personally I would go with KJ if I had to pick one.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We said the same thing about Jimmy Graham and Jamal Adams though.

This kind of 'splash trade' is actually the kind of trade we tend to make.

Not saying it is a given, but it wouldn't be shocking at all to read he ended up on our roster.

The larger problem is those trades generally don't pay the dividends we need. Another issue is that Julio isn't a great fit for our coach and his focus on the run game. But that was true with Jimmy Graham and that never stopped us. (We even nonsensically traded our run blocking away to get Graham)

You can generally pencil us in for the playoffs. Usually a wildcard, but if Carroll wants Julio, and Wilson wants him, then we might as well just accept it. It probably won't move the needle but it might make Wilson happy. Which is all that matters because without Wilson the whole engine stops.

City Of Reign

Reaction score
I remember the first time we brought in Julius Jones thinking he'd be the answer on offence !!! how'd that work out for us ??? why bring him in a second time ???

... oh, not Julius ? Julio ? like joo-lee-oh ? ohh it's hoo-lee-oh ? well my bad !!! please continue ...

:sarcasm_off: <---- just in case :p

pmedic920

Reaction score
Spohawks":32yfqlsn said:
Wouldn't it be nice to be the best in a position in the NFL? The hawks don't have that right now, but they would if they picked up Jones.

Its 3rd and 14, deep in the 4th quarter and the Hawks are down by 4...guess what? Pick up Jones and you know they have a chance!

Any WR can go down at any point, Jones might not be a major need right now but he would be if DK or TL get injured.

Pick him up, let Russ and fans have some fun!

3rd and 14 deep in the 4th?

Da Phuc you talking about?

Everybody knows that’s a run play for Pete/us.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Yes, let's waste valuable resources on a 32 year old WR so has 11 tough years in the league, and it's now an injury risk.

This guy is going to cost someone at least a 2nd rounder, plus $15 million, plus you will lose valuable players on the OLine that you desperately need, and not be able to play defensive players, all for a guy that will get injured and be on the bench most of the season.

These trades, signings for offensive "Superstars" have failed.... Every time! And we've lost valuable players because of it.

This would be Pete and John's st00pidest move ever.

chris98251

Reaction score
ivotuk":2mrgmpou said:
Yes, let's waste valuable resources on a 32 year old WR so has 11 tough years in the league, and it's now an injury risk.

This guy is going to cost someone at least a 2nd rounder, plus $15 million, plus you will lose valuable players on the OLine that you desperately need, and not be able to play defensive players, all for a guy that will get injured and be on the bench most of the season.

These trades, signings for offensive "Superstars" have failed.... Every time! And we've lost valuable players because of it.

This would be Pete and John's NEXT st00pidest move ever.

Fixed it for you.......... :)

Fade

Reaction score
I think its become pretty clear that the Seahawks feel like draft picks are overvalued league wide, and they believe they are better spent on known commodities. Even if this Julio trade doesn't happen, I fully expect them to move picks for veteran players over the summer. I just hope Fletcher Cox is on their list. He is exactly what they need on their D-Line.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Fade":1wk313sz said:

He wants to run the ball btw. :lol:

TwistedHusky":1wk313sz said:
I hope Julio loves run blocking though.

Because we all know how much our coach loves to run the ball.

There is a bit of a myth here, I think, if we’re talking about recent trends. In 2020, if you look at the run/pass splits, there were 18 other NFL teams that ran the ball more than Seattle did. So this puts them at league average.

Many fans may be confusing “run the ball more” with what Pete actually said, which is to “run the ball more effectively.” And running the ball more effectively will open things up for the passing game.

Back to the original topic, if Waldron's offense will be anything like Shanny's offense when he was with ATL, then Julio would be a great fit. If it's not... then Julio better learn the scramble drill.

Seymour

Reaction score
Fade":3dh37lej said:
Apparently, Pete loves to get his ass kicked in the trenches every year. He refuses to seriously invest money upfront. But he is a dog chasing firetrucks when ever a receiving target is available.

Also this: Lockett $18M, Julio $15M + 2nd rdr, DK about to make 20M+, And 2nd rdr on Eskr8dge. Paying the QB $35M.

He wants to run the ball btw. :lol:

Well they just need to run 70% bubble screens and other quick routes that take under 1.5 seconds so the ball gets out right before Wilson gets smashed and all is good correct? :irishdrinkers:

Rat

Reaction score
Objectively, it doesn't make a ton of sense, but screw it, life is short and that offense would be fun as hell to watch. I'm happy either way on him.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Fade":1937pfcv said:
I think its become pretty clear that the Seahawks feel like draft picks are overvalued league wide, and they believe they are better spent on known commodities. Even if this Julio trade doesn't happen, I fully expect them to move picks for veteran players over the summer. I just hope Fletcher Cox is on their list. He is exactly what they need on their D-Line.
While I agree, there are some merits to the belief that not all rookies will make an impact but it’s contrary to how Seattle won the Super Bowl in the first place.

Seattle won with young talented players on rookie deals, now, all of a sudden, Carroll, doesn’t believe in that process anymore?

At some point, you need a young core of good players on rookie deals and you do that by having a good system in place to evaluate draft picks but now Seattle seems like they do not have any hope or confidence in their scouting side.

Carroll, wants to put all his chips in if he goes for Jones but the bigger issue is a lack of confidence in drafting players.

At some point, you cannot continuously give up draft capitol, you need to just simply get better with scouting and building a system that works.

The Jamal Adams trade is killing Seattle, like it or not.

They gave up a lot for Adams and if they wanted to trade for a proven player, they should have traded for Jalen Ramsey before the Rams did.

At least Ramsey can shutdown one side of the field, something that Carroll could have worked wonders with.

Remember when Seattle was able to shutdown a side of the field.

Those days are now gone.

AgentDib

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":q63syito said:
Seattle won with young talented players on rookie deals, now, all of a sudden, Carroll, doesn’t believe in that process anymore?
In my view it's more to do with them being in win now mode. A 2022 draft pick adds nothing to this season and the real upside of development prospects do not kick in for a year or two after they are drafted.

Our 2022 2nd rounder could be a key player three years from now, but this FO has been operating the last couple of seasons with an emphasis on finding birds in their hands. That has kept them in the playoffs but I agree that it's sharply limited their ability to rebuild a talented young core for the future.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Ah, the usual grumblers are assuming the Hawks will actually make this deal so they can throw rocks at the FO but particularly at the HC. Financially it certainly looks to be a big stretch and likely to not happen. Florio is spitballing as per usual. Julio would likely be a one year wonder regardless as the team would not want to give him a new deal. Frankly I hope this trade doesn't happen.

For this deal to happen at all there would need to be some restructuring of RW's contract which would indicate the team truly wants him around. If RW's deal is restructured what is stopping the team from signing another Centre? The rest of the OLine besides Pocic looks quite capable. Unsure why the DLine is thought to be weak. To me the DLine looks stronger than it has done for quite a while.

keasley45

Reaction score
Fade":71kkmpw2 said:

I dont think that's as much the case as them believing right now that the salary cap is going to go way up in the next 2 to 3 years and so salaries that seem astronomical now, with the new TV deal, another game or two in the season, etc, they will be affordable. I also think they believe whole heartedly in the young guys on the roster now and that they are comfortable without having to rely on the farm for a bit.

But yeah. For sure I think they believe the draft is gonna be a crap shoot for a few years too given the impact covid had on the ncaa.

Fade

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":312wolbm said:
Fade":312wolbm said:
While I agree, there are some merits to the belief that not all rookies will make an impact but it’s contrary to how Seattle won the Super Bowl in the first place.

At some point, you need a young core of good players on rookie deals and you do that by having a good system in place to evaluate draft picks but now Seattle seems like they do not have any hope or confidence in their scouting side.

Carroll, wants to put all his chips in if he goes for Jones but the bigger issue is a lack of confidence in drafting players.

At some point, you cannot continuously give up draft capitol, you need to just simply get better with scouting and building a system that works.

The Jamal Adams trade is killing Seattle, like it or not.

They gave up a lot for Adams and if they wanted to trade for a proven player, they should have traded for Jalen Ramsey before the Rams did.

At least Ramsey can shutdown one side of the field, something that Carroll could have worked wonders with.

Remember when Seattle was able to shutdown a side of the field.

Those days are now gone.

I don't think they have a lack of confidence in drafting players. I think they've realized the salary cap is a joke and the value of a cheap rookie has been minimized due to that fact. So they are trading a lot of picks to make sure they get what they need. If & When they get up against the cap, they'll just pull out the voidable years credit card.

To truly max out the cap to where they have no wiggle room, they would need to spend well over $1B (Avg of the salary cap over the next 5 years.) No teams is going to spend that kind of money of course, they are a business first and foremost, the point I'm trying to make is it takes a helluva a lot of big contracts to wreck a team's salary cap and send them into cap hell.

Always compete, right. I don't have a problem with this approach necessarily, I have problem with the lack of focus on the trenches. There is no excuse why they have a gaping hole at Center, and a lot to be desired at 3T. And possibly near future holes at both OT spots, and Leo if young guys don't start flashing this season.

I did a deep dive on teams that won superbowls a couple years back and there was a common thread amongst them. They either had a dominate O-Line, D-Line, or both. HoF QBs win a lot of Superbowls, too, but they are paired with a dominant O-Line or D-Line. And then you have guys like Dilfer, Eli, Brad Johnson winning Superbowls, you guessed it dominate Line play. The nerds can throw out all the stats they want and get lost in one equation after another, but Ultimately you need a Franchise QB if you want to win consistently in the regular season, and be dominant in the trenches if you want to win come playoff time.

05 Hawks dominate O-Line, 13 Hawks dominate D-Line. Last years Bucs are the champs right now because of their D-Line. Brady threw 3 consecutive INTs in the NFCCG, and it didn't stop them from winning that game. Because their D-Line held down the fort. KC never had a chance with injuries to their O-Line going against that D-Line.

It doesn't really matter what year you pick, the Superbowl Champ had a dominant Line.

The Seahawks need to stop spending so many resources on WRs, TEs, RBs, LBs, & Safeties, and start funneling those resources towards their D-Line & O-Line if they ever want to win another Superbowl.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
nanomoz":3sagp7ei said:
There's already not enough balls to go around. If this is true, I don't understand.

Someone should lock Pete into a chair, brace his eyelids open (Clockwork Orange-style), and play the footage DK pouting then that pick-six, forced bubble screen.
I support the firing of any NFL coach assistant or head coach that ever calls a WR bubble screen in any NFL game.
Worst play in the NFL.