Four changes that worked for the Seahawks defense vs Arizona...

morgulon1

Reaction score
This. I noticed that as well
I hope they're taking who and what they have and playing them where they can make the most impact instead of trying to fit people into a particular system.

You know ? Chicken salad šŸ˜

Own The West

Reaction score
So the coaches didn't encourage their players to play aggressively Weeks 1 through 5? I guess that was a totally novel concept to them, playing aggressively in the NFL!
The DL are responsible for 2 gaps a lot of the time so perhaps they took a more ā€˜driveā€™ approach instead of the usual ā€œcatch, hold, and reactā€. If we become too aggressive start looking for traps, screens, and other misdirection.

Fade

Reaction score
Weeks 1-5, they were 1.5 and 2 gapping. This forces everyone in the front 7 to have to read and react.

Against AZ it was a reversion back to the old way, 1 gap. Everyone in the front is assigned a gap allowing the players to play faster and shoot their gaps.

I made a thread after the ATL game that they would abandon the new defense and go back to the old way. We'll have to just wait and see if it is permanent, it probably is.

The bear front is what Seattle always falls back to, after the changes they make inevitably fail. This has been going on for several years.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/film-breakdown-understanding-basics-of-seahawks-bear-front

toffee

Reaction score
Weeks 1-5, they were 1.5 and 2 gapping. This forces everyone in the front 7 to have to read and react.

Against AZ it was a reversion back to the old way, 1 gap. Everyone in the front is assigned a gap allowing the players to play faster and shoot their gaps.

I made a thread after the ATL game that they would abandon the new defense and go back to the old way. We'll have to just wait and see if it is permanent, it probably is.

The bear front is what Seattle always falls back to, after the changes they make inevitably fail. This has been going on for several years.

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/film-breakdown-understanding-basics-of-seahawks-bear-front
So what's down side with 1 gap?

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Sounded like we are going back to Pete/Norton bear front? Bear front did save Norton's career for one year if my recollection is correct. But didn't we hire Sean Desai and Hurtt, so we will move away from the bear front? OK, I never played and not well versed in X and O, can someone educate me on the pros and cons of bear front??
Cover 1 Buddy Ryan defense we run it depending on the matchup
Probably play a boatload of 3-4 against the Chargers tho

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
So what's down side with 1 gap?
It can be beat with smart play. Pulling blockers, misdirection, screens. Also, because everybody has a gap, there is less opportunity for players on the line to drop into short coverage. They have to focus on their gap. You can't do as much trickery because it will leave a hole.

But... it's much simpler system and for a team with communication issues that also has lost its leader on the defensive side of the ball, I think the sacrifice is worth it.

EDIT: Adding on, I really want to see how this team looks tomorrow and if this 1-gap tech is something they plan to stick with going forward. With the way our offense has been, we don't need the defense to become great, just mediocre. Excited for the game.

Last edited:

Polk738

Reaction score

They got 6 sacks without their best defensive lineman and Poona Ford literally had his best game of the season, the guy is NOT a 3-4 DE so why they kept trying to put him in that role is beyond me, it's a least reassuring that they are not as bad as they look and just playing in a bad scheme that doesn't fit their strengths.