Freeing up cap space?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Fade":2mensyha said:
getnasty":2mensyha said:
You guys say box safety as if Jamal is a dynamic playmaker and honestly the only player on the defense people have to gameplan around. I'm not saying he's worth 20 million but he's a little more the a "Box Safety"

With the Seahawks he had a bad coverage grade, and the film backs this up. The teams "gameplanned" all right. Put him in coverage, and torch him over and over.

Also too having to blitz him 10x a game because he can't cover, whelp, he only gets home on 10% of his rushes, which also means they are in a coverage deficit on 90% of his blitzes.

He is a square peg in a round hole, unless they want to convert to a Todd Bowles esque 3-4. (Not happening.) He doesn't fit. Costs a lot, and was injured a lot.

Trade him now, while he still has value.
I've always thought that trading 2 first rounders for an inbox safety was a really stupid trade. Especially when the team had problems on the D-Line and O-Line that needed to be addressed. The Adams trade going forward is really going to hamstring the Hawks ability to build the roster.

hawk45

Reaction score
Fade":2wyoe2ne said:
getnasty":2wyoe2ne said:
You guys say box safety as if Jamal is a dynamic playmaker and honestly the only player on the defense people have to gameplan around. I'm not saying he's worth 20 million but he's a little more the a "Box Safety"

With the Seahawks he had a bad coverage grade, and the film backs this up. The teams "gameplanned" all right. Put him in coverage, and torch him over and over.

Also too having to blitz him 10x a game because he can't cover, whelp, he only gets home on 10% of his rushes, which also means they are in a coverage deficit on 90% of his blitzes.

He is a square peg in a round hole, unless they want to convert to a Todd Bowles esque 3-4. (Not happening.) He doesn't fit. Costs a lot, and was injured a lot.

Trade him now, while he still has value.
Yes.

I would rather attempt to build a d line that can get home slowing us to keep 7 defenders in coverage.

This felt like a gimmick home run swing because we couldn’t find DL help.

I share the concern that we will throw good money after bad because we gave up so much. If we do that, pay 16+ on top of what we gave up, we pretty much have to blitz him all game long because we won’t have money for DL and because blitzing is arguably his best attribute.

So as you say, 90% of the time we are in a coverage deficit where we have less defenders back or we have a DE dropping. Most teams figured out how to deal with this easily this year.

I don’t like it if he was super healthy and he wasn’t. Even some games he played he wasn’t healthy enough to maximize his impact.

I can’t believe there are fans out there who weren’t terrified when they saw him in coverage. Especially deep. Not just his hands, his spatial awareness and body control with the ball in the air were conspicuously poor.

Prime Kam fit this D and didn’t blitz much but made the entire short middle a no fly zone, and could also play the ball. If this were prime Kam I’d be anguished about how to keep him. Adams I just pray they don’t let egos dictate we pay big. I’d be fine with whatever a trade brought back.

rcaido

Reaction score
Adams was playing injured and was clearly the best defensive player on the team...He is only 25years old and you guys want to get rid of him... :pukeface:

balakoth

Reaction score
"Torched over and over"

What a friggen stretch of an observation... not to mention he was playing with multiple injuries.

getnasty

Reaction score
massari":2dui6kmk said:
getnasty":2dui6kmk said:
8 million freed up if you cut Reed, unfortunately i don't think your finding his replacement for that.
That could be Leonard Williams' 2021 cap hit after a long term signing.

Tenor

PFF as him signing a 4 year 80 millon doller deal. If 8 is next year then you have 72 over the next 3. I realize it's not all guaranteed but yikes.

acer1240

Reaction score
misfit":3rx83xeg said:
Jamal probably hits 15 sacks and is in DPOY consideration if he stays healthy last season

This is correct.

Are you guys insane? He is exactly what you want in this defense

pinksheets

Reaction score
acer1240":3vxk5pp9 said:
misfit":3vxk5pp9 said:
Jamal probably hits 15 sacks and is in DPOY consideration if he stays healthy last season

This is correct.

I want to create pressure rushing 4 and a safety whose greatest weakness isn't coverage.

Jamal is extremely talented, and he makes splash plays here, but he's not worth what he'll cost, at least in this scheme. If they want to convert to a 3-4 or a hybrid, ok, but having a safety whose weakness is coverage in Pete's scheme isn't worth the inevitable pricetag just to get sacks from an unblocked blitzer.

massari

Reaction score
acer1240":5eyoxcrx said:
misfit":5eyoxcrx said:

This is correct.

Marquise Blair can blitz too, if healthy.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
This is insane.

"Box safety"

You know Kam was a box safety right? Never had 9 sacks in a season. Dam good safety.

Adams is nowhere near as bad as most of you say in coverage. He dropped some pics, but had consistently tight coverage on close plays. I have come to terms with poor coaching of db's in general in the whole nfl and college. No one in the league plays the ball and no one turns their head when covering. Not even the best supposed cb Ramsey does it.

I have been saying since the season began to switch to a 34. They would use less lineman and and more lbs. Adam's is a linebacker. Rolb or lolb. Ok in coverage, better at blitzing and playing in the backfield. Let neal and diggs play the back end. Think about Adam's, wags, wright and brooks all around the line of scrimmage in base d. That would be crazy.

Our dline and pressuring the qb is great. They got better as the season wore on. They will be fine. The only reason anybody still wants to bring it up is because the seahawks didnt trade for their favorite available dlineman and instead got a great safety.

Restructure a few higher paid. Sign carson back at lowely 8 million. Fact that some of you call that high is ridiculous for our most productive back in 5 years.

Let griffin walk, release brown, dunlap and jarran reed or get what you can in trade. Draft only oline and cb.

We will be fine.

chris98251

Reaction score
Adams had injuries to his hands and shoulders and could not raise his arms, without severe pain, lets see how many passes you catch.

Elemas

Reaction score
Lmao. Let Adams go. I love coming here for the comedy. He’s the best defensive player on the team. You can say what you want about pass coverage....

You can scheme him so many ways. IDC if he’s essentially at OLB...keep another safety back if he’s blitzing.

Not even worth the comment. It’s not something the Seahawks are considering. Not happening. This is about as likely to happen as us getting Deshaun Watson to back up Russ

pinksheets

Reaction score
Elemas":rcvjletl said:
Lmao. Let Adams go. I love coming here for the comedy. He’s the best defensive player on the team. You can say what you want about pass coverage....

You can scheme him so many ways. IDC if he’s essentially at OLB...keep another safety back if he’s blitzing.

Not even worth the comment. It’s not something the Seahawks are considering. Not happening. This is about as likely to happen as us getting Deshaun Watson to back up Russ
If we don't get smarter with our resources, we'll continue to get worked in the trenches by our divisional rivals and watch the window close. If Pete thinks a blitzing safety is where we should make a huge investment, that's his call, but it'll strap us elsewhere is all I'm saying. It's throwing good money after bad - we'll have given up a huge amount of draft capital, a huge amount of cap space, and a starting quality safety and have little room to better protect Russell or get back to being able to get consistent pressure with 4. It'll likely continue to be more of getting dink and dunked down the field and the Rams/9ers D-lines eating us for lunch.

I don't think strong safety is the most important position on the defense, but I guess Pete does.

If we pay him to be the highest paid safety in the league, we damn well better overhaul the defensive scheme to center around his skillset.

Elemas

Reaction score
I’m not sure it’s the most important position either. I’m more inclined to say a top tier Edge, shut down corner, or a disruptive DT. Obviously, they’re all important.

But...do we honestly believe we traded the capital we gave up for Adams to not resign him? I don’t think that for a minute. I’d be extremely shocked if this was our intent. It’s not logical.

But, stranger things have happened.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Elemas":b2uu6qog said:
I’m not sure it’s the most important position either. I’m more inclined to say a top tier Edge, shut down corner, or a disruptive DT. Obviously, they’re all important.

But...do we honestly believe we traded the capital we gave up for Adams to not resign him? I don’t think that for a minute. I’d be extremely shocked if this was our intent. It’s not logical.

Oh, I agree. I think it's unlikely they handed such a huge haul to the Jets if they didn't think, even if wrongly, that he's a major or THE major piece to have a top defense. I hope they made that trade thinking, "if all else fails, we can still flip him to recoup some value" - especially if they find his contract demands are where I think they're likely to be.

The best organizations make tough moves and cut losses when needed. I think we should use our resources elsewhere than strong safety (and frankly, that we overpaid already), but that we need to make more moves that require more flexibility and maybe we're further away than they thought when making such a "win now" move. I hope they at least don't make a decision on Jamal based on the sunk cost.

He's an outstanding player - I love his attitude and his ability to make big splash plays and think he'll be a top safety in the league, especially in a scheme that suits his abilities more. My thoughts on him are purely about cost - both salary cap and opportunity cost. We've got very little wiggle room to improve right now given our extremely limited draft capital, so our options are:

1. Largely stand pay and make some minor moves this off-season, trying to make the most of our few picks and signing some cheap FAs.
2. Go further into "win now" mode by restructuring deals to make space at the cost of finding ourselves in increasingly difficult positions next year and after.
3. Make some tough calls this year, try to pick up more draft capital through trades, and free up cap space without putting it on loan to focus on OL and DL. There's a decent safety market in FA this year, too, making the Adams trade even less appealing to me in hindsight.

I prefer option 3, but I get it. Adams is a superstar, and I get why people want him on the team. I do, too - I just want other things more.

Going to be really interesting what moves they make. I have a hard time seeing a scenario other than option 3 where Russ isn't more discontented and leaning further out the door next year, but I'll hope for the best whatever way the team goes.

Elemas

Reaction score
pinksheets":g7shkhq7 said:
Elemas":g7shkhq7 said:

Oh, I agree. I think it's unlikely they handed such a huge haul to the Jets if they didn't think, even if wrongly, that he's a major or THE major piece to have a top defense. I hope they made that trade thinking, "if all else fails, we can still flip him to recoup some value" - especially if they find his contract demands are where I think they're likely to be.

The best organizations make tough moves and cut losses when needed. I think we should use our resources elsewhere than strong safety (and frankly, that we overpaid already), but that we need to make more moves that require more flexibility and maybe we're further away than they thought when making such a "win now" move. I hope they at least don't make a decision on Jamal based on the sunk cost.

He's an outstanding player - I love his attitude and his ability to make big splash plays and think he'll be a top safety in the league, especially in a scheme that suits his abilities more. My thoughts on him are purely about cost - both salary cap and opportunity cost. We've got very little wiggle room to improve right now given our extremely limited draft capital, so our options are:

1. Largely stand pay and make some minor moves this off-season, trying to make the most of our few picks and signing some cheap FAs.
2. Go further into "win now" mode by restructuring deals to make space at the cost of finding ourselves in increasingly difficult positions next year and after.
3. Make some tough calls this year, try to pick up more draft capital through trades, and free up cap space without putting it on loan to focus on OL and DL. There's a decent safety market in FA this year, too, making the Adams trade even less appealing to me in hindsight.

I prefer option 3, but I get it. Adams is a superstar, and I get why people want him on the team. I do, too - I just want other things more.

Going to be really interesting what moves they make. I have a hard time seeing a scenario other than option 3 where Russ isn't more discontented and leaning further out the door next year, but I'll hope for the best whatever way the team goes.

I appreciate your response! It’s easy to get “nasty” here. I do understand your perspective and perhaps it would be best to go that way.
I do stand by my statement about giving up all that capital...just to let him go. I get the feeling we’re content on D and likely won’t make many moves on that side of the ball. NOT that we don’t need it but....

I’ve always believed in building from the line up. There are a lot of instances in the history of the NFL with teams building from there and having great success. Maybe that model doesn’t “fit” today’s game as much but, I’d like to think it does.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
I think they could trade BW &/or RW! It starts there for me.
Reed could also be traded and we could sign someone else like Leonard Williams. Seahawks have already spoken to 4 DT draft prospects.

Lockett 3rd contract is always sketchy.

Brown had a great year in 2020. 2021 should be good but what about 2022? Should we acquire Trent Williams & trade D. Brown?

Carlos Dunlap is going to get cut saving us $14 Million. With 4 young DE’s on the roster it would be wise to wait till April to add a Veteran DE on the cheap.

Diggs? Amadi sure looks like a FS to me.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I definitely want to keep Adams, just not as safety. I think we make a change in scheme and create a position for Adams, replacing him at safety with the best cover guy on our team in Blaire.
Reed would be the most replaceable of our higher cap guys.

WarHawks

Reaction score
If Russ is so concerned about getting more superstars, why doesn't he take a voluntary pay cut like Brady did? Why is this so rarely discussed?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Because we tend to pee cap space away on overpriced aging vets or overpay for middle-of-the-road players.

There is no reason for Wilson to give up compensation so it can be wasted on middle-tier or usually bottom-tier FAs.

We had cap room last year. Look at what we spent it on.

FresnoHawk52

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":38vycwqt said:
Because we tend to pee cap space away on overpriced aging vets or overpay for middle-of-the-road players.

There is no reason for Wilson to give up compensation so it can be wasted on middle-tier or usually bottom-tier FAs.

We had cap room last year. Look at what we spent it on.

2021 was easily anticipated years ago as the year to “go after it” in Free Agency! COVID-19 amplified the opportunity for Seattle. 2020 was not the year to sign big contracts, 2021 is far better! Trent Williams, Joe Thuney, Corey Linsey, Jonnu Smith, when have you seen that type of Talent on the market?