Future Krakens

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
So I went to the Cochella Valley playoff game here in Calgary last night. My friends came in from Regina to see Ryker Evans as they were his billet parents for 4 years in Regina. Thoughts on the team:

Bias here but Evans will be one of the D-man quarterbacking the PP in Seattle sooner than later. Probably in Schultz place. Not just age but they shoot the same side (I don't know the finite points of the game enough to know that last fact, but my friend pointed that out to me) Anyway, expect to see him up with the big club at least a bit next year. Played sound defensively too and is a good skater. Not afraid to hit and he laid a guy out with nice clean open ice hit.

Luke Henman was another player who stood out to me. Kole Lind looked good with a couple of goals
David Goyette, (another high pick I was told), flashed as well.

This is unfair as it's still a 19 year old kid playing against a lot of seasoned vets, but Shane Wright did not stand out at all. Unfair but I would think as high as pick as he was he would look better than he did. And if Daccord is the best on the farm, I would say the Kraken need to draft some young goaltending depth this year. (Don't know if they have anyone playing junior or college). His rebound control was awful. At least 1 Calgary goal was the result of that and there could have been a couple more. He loves to come out of the crease and play the puck too but didn't appear very good at it!

I guess it's a 2-3 best of 5 so Coachella is in good shape. Up 1-0 with a road win and after game 2 tonight the remaining games are all in the Valley.

Got as much opinion from my friend as I could thinking it might be interesting for you folks here. I know and follow the sport pretty well but he's way more knowledgable than me from watching and playing.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Shane Wright will be a stud. The Kraken are loaded with minor league talent. The guys you mentioned plus guys like Firkus. I can’t wait to be a card carrying member of the Firkus Circus.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm not understanding the only 19 yrs old reference..Great players
no matter the sport-flash
Why is it supposed to be different for hockey?

OP
OP
H

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Hard to do a perfect comparison for hockey due to age. For a guy who go drafted as high as he did, Wright didn't stand out. But he's still barely out of his teens playing against grown men older than him even in the minors. Bigger, stronger, experienced.

Closest thing I can think of would be how well someone do if the NFL drafted payers out of high school and then had to go up against even NFL 2nd stringers.

It's usually only the very cream of the crop that gets drafted that step into the NHL immediately. Most even first rounders go back to junior. Wright was considered one of those exceptions who could make the jump immediately.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Since they have 3 picks in the 2nd round, I wonder if they'll try to trade for a legit scoring threat.