Geno Smith open to Seattle drafting a QB

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
"I love to compete, so I'll compete with anybody," Smith said. "I'm also gonna help him out as much as I can, same as we did with Drew (Lock). And our QB room is so tight-knit. We're so connected that we act as one. And so whether it's a young guy or someone else, I'm gonna help that player just like any other player on our team be the best that he can be. Because that's my job as a leader. And that's who I am at heart. I'm never gonna withhold information. I'm always gonna try to help guys get better. So, that's what I want to do, and if that happens, that's the guy I'll be."
Full story here https://www.nfl.com/news/seahawks-g...-drafting-a-quarterback-i-ll-compete-with-any

Gotta respect that mindset, unfortunately not every QB feels the same way.

toffee

Reaction score
It's like learning to be a parent by remembering the things you want to do differently compared to your parents. He's seen how it turns out with the opposite perspective....
It's easier for Geno, Unlike Wilson, he didn't have to deal with that little Wilma living inside of him.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
This kind of attitude makes me like Geno a lot. I'm impressed with that attitude and I hope its not merely lip service and I don't think it is. This must be why the team likes him as a leader.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
There is a guy on the Bears forum who claims the Seahawks can use Geno as a one year bridge QB and cut him after the first year, paying him only $28 million total. True?

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
There is a guy on the Bears forum who claims the Seahawks can use Geno as a one year bridge QB and cut him after the first year, paying him only $28 million total. True?
The only real information I have found is on Spotrac everything else 2nd hand. Contracts can be signed on 3/15

I don’t think it’s true what the guy on the forum said

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I looked at the Notes section. If they cut him early 2024, he gets nothing in 2024, so all he gets is the first year $27.3 million. This is changing my mind about the draft, raising the odds that Seahawks get a rookie QB.

flv2

Reaction score
The contract notes are sketchy at the moment but my reading is that the Seahawks have a get out clause if they cut Smith before the February 2024 waiver date, (if he is healthy). If cut before then the Seahawks will be done with Smith at $27.3M plus however many of the $2M incentive bonuses he has earned. Information on Spotrac's pages is updated at irregular intervals so it's 'correct at the moment'. For context the information posted on Spotrac's contract for Todd Gurley with the Rams made cutting him infeasible. However, the 'incorrect' information that had been up for multiple years was suddenly corrected 2 days before he was cut.

At this point the contract looks much more in line with what I was expecting, and if anything it's better from a Seahawks point of view - but information is sketchy.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
It's like learning to be a parent by remembering the things you want to do differently compared to your parents. He's seen how it turns out with the opposite perspective....

Yes. Some of the companies where I have worked have taught me very important lessons about how not to run a company. There was both dumbassery and utter dickery I don't want to repeat in my own business.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Spotrac is generally less reliable than Overthecap. If the numbers are different on the two sites, I've learned to trust Overthecap more.
Each has features that the other doesn't, and that's why I still look at both.
Spotrac has the "realistic out" where, say, a six-year, $700M contract (yes, I'm exaggerating) can actually turn into a three-year, $65M deal if the player is cut after the third year of the contract. Overthecap has the numbers on what the dead money and cap savings would be under different scenarios (trade before June 1, trade after June 1, cut before June 1, cut after June 1, restructure, extension), but with the flaw that the "after June 1" items only show that year's dead money, and not the part that gets pushed into the next year.

Anyway, neither one has a year-by-year contract breakdown yet, but Spotrac has some notes:
  • $27.3M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2023 salary)
  • $12M of 2024 fully guarantees at the start of the 2024 waiver period (injury-guaranteed at signing)
  • Annual Escalator based on exceeding 2022 stats
    $2M each for:
    Passing Yards (4,282)
    Passing Touchdowns (30)
    Completion % (69.8)
    Passer Rating (100.9)
    Wins (9)
  • Additional $5M escalator if all 5 categories are exceeded in a season
The fact that Smith signed a contract with those escalators is a really great, because it looks like Smith and his agent believe that he can not only continue to produce, but also actually improve on 2022.

JPatera76

Reaction score
Interesting contrast to have a quarterback committed to the organization like this. Incredible stuff. This is why his teammates love him.
Honestly it’s a breathe of fresh air to see a player that’s .. (whatever word I pick will be wrong it feels like) loyal(?) to a team that showed trust and stood by him. Many even that have had that from a team, still chase BIG money.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They said this morning on 710 that the Hawks can get out after ONE season too. Couldn't have been more wrong about the deal that was orginally reported.
Very nice work by JS and the front office.

GemCity

Reaction score
I find it interesting that Geno didn’t say “if they draft one, I’m also going to help….”

Probably reading too much into it but….

Geno is a class act. I don’t see any scenario where he is cut. IF we draft a QB, especially a guy like Richardson, Geno is the perfect veteran to learn from.

Think about it…Geno’s pocket presence, decision-making, surveying the field, playing within the system, willingness to do what’s best for the team, etc.

I’d much rather a rookie QB learn from Geno than most other quarterbacks in the league. I’ll probably get roasted for this but, that list of other quarterbacks includes Mahomes and most certainly includes Russ. Geno may not be as “good” as Mahomes but imo, he’s more disciplined. “Hey AR…watch how Russ doesn’t see his TE but rolls out, jukes two defenders, throws to the other side of the field on his back, opposing foot for 30 yards. Got it?”

The way Geno’s contract is structured…and the recent JS and PC comments about being in tune with the QBs available this draft…either a massive smoke screen to entice a robbery in the form of trading down or they really want one of these guys (Richardson or Levis as Young and Stroud should be out of reach).

If we draft a QB and he miraculously takes over the starting spot, we still don’t get rid of Geno unless we’re being offered something too good to pass on in a trade.

I feel like there’s a lot of folks that are hesitant to label Geno as a success. His second half performance was…mediocre. He doesn’t give you that feeling that he’s capable of leading an offense deep into the playoffs. Even though he had an incredible season last year, his body of work throughout his entire career tells a different story. I get the hesitation.

I’m not critiquing him and to be honest, I don’t have a facts-based opinion on how he may perform in the future. My guess is he’ll repeat last year’s performance and may improve upon it.

What I do know is that this deal worked out great for us…no matter what the future holds.

Geno is a class act. Definitely one of my favorite “stories” thus far. The underdog who didn’t wrote back. The guy who “takes one for the team”. Poise…gratitude….professionalism.

How folks can hate on this guy is beyond me.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good points. I couldn't have been more wrong about Geno, and that's a good thing. He's a leader and is clearly locked in. Hopefully he earns all of those incentives, because that equals a lot of success for the team.