Getting to the line and snapping the ball late

seabowl

Reaction score
This has been a theme with the O for some time now but as a fan it's frustrating to watch them burn to's or have to hurry to just get the ball off without incurring a delay of game. I would think this is more on Schotty than Russ but they need to correct it. In addition by snapping the ball with a second or seconds left it allows the D to time their rush very easily as there is not time for a hard count.

The tempo that this O runs at is so opposite of what Holmy did. He was always about temp temp tempo, call the play, up to the line, snap the ball. Just interesting to see how different they both are.

John63

Reaction score
seabowl":9he8bwzs said:
This has been a theme with the O for some time now but as a fan it's frustrating to watch them burn to's or have to hurry to just get the ball off without incurring a delay of game. I would think this is more on Schotty than Russ but they need to correct it. In addition by snapping the ball with a second or seconds left it allows the D to time their rush very easily as there is not time for a hard count.

The tempo that this O runs at is so opposite of what Holmy did. He was always about temp temp tempo, call the play, up to the line, snap the ball. Just interesting to see how different they both are.

Actually not totally true games 1-5 we did not do this much. however, prior to that and after those first 5 yes we did and that is PCs way eat clock.

The tempo we should be playing is like games 1-5 or more like Holmy. However, PC does not like that tempo.

everything you say about the waiting and how it helps the defense has been spoken about alot and we all agree and for 5 games we did not, But again PC does not like it. so we are back to same old same old.

W

Welshers

The issue I have with it is we seem to waste a lot of timeouts doing it, on top of the fact that it gives us so little time for Russel to make adjustments and audibles. And doesn't snapping the ball at 1 second every time mean the defense doesn't have to guess about our snap count? They know right when to jump

potatohead33

Reaction score
Welshers":38edcwip said:
The issue I have with it is we seem to waste a lot of timeouts doing it, on top of the fact that it gives us so little time for Russel to make adjustments and audibles. And doesn't snapping the ball at 1 second every time mean the defense doesn't have to guess about our snap count? They know right when to jump

Yes to all. There is pretty much no advantage to waiting that long.

Hawkfandrew

Reaction score
I have wondered about this alot as well, it was so refreshing to see us doing this differently early in the season. It also seemed the offense was noticeably more effective when not waiting till the last second, those first five games we were unstoppable on O. I wonder if this could have a negative effect on our defense though with them not being able to get enough rest as our offense was scoring very quickly. My guess is that Pete saw this hurting the defense so he decided to go back to what he knew. With the defense now playing better even if it's not actualy related to this I highly doubt we will see them go back to up tempo. I just feel like it's a trade we made. We needed a better defense to make a run, so if this is how we make that happen.....okay. I just wish we could have both, we would be unstoppable.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Remember the causation could be going in the other direction as well.

It's easy for Russ to snap it quickly when he gets to the line and likes what he sees. Maybe the play looks great against what the defense is showing. When things seem easy on offense then I would expect them to keep a decent pace.

On the other hand, when things aren't going as well then everything pre-snap may take more time. Perhaps he's checking out to a second play, maybe the defense has been fooling us and we're trying to use motion to let him identify key responsibilities, and maybe it's just a tough down and distance where they are mulling over the play call longer than they would on a 2nd and 2.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
This has been an issue well before Shotty. Its either a Pete or Wilson issue. I imagine its Petes doing because it rarely ever gets fixed.

Elemas

Reaction score
I notice this and get frustrated as hell when it happens (seems like it's no less than 5 times a game).

I typically won't watch a full game (just highlights) unless it's the Hawks. But, I watched a few others in their entirety this past weekend and noticed that we're not the only team that has issues with this. Probably a "duh", no brainer statement. It's just mindblowing that it happens so often with Seattle.

You'd think a team would want the snap to be arbitrary in nature when it comes to when its snapped. It's a lot easier to fire out when you know they HAVE to snap the ball vs. being caught off-guard.

John63

Reaction score
Hawkfandrew":cr0fgi6p said:
I have wondered about this alot as well, it was so refreshing to see us doing this differently early in the season. It also seemed the offense was noticeably more effective when not waiting till the last second, those first five games we were unstoppable on O. I wonder if this could have a negative effect on our defense though with them not being able to get enough rest as our offense was scoring very quickly. My guess is that Pete saw this hurting the defense so he decided to go back to what he knew. With the defense now playing better even if it's not actualy related to this I highly doubt we will see them go back to up tempo. I just feel like it's a trade we made. We needed a better defense to make a run, so if this is how we make that happen.....okay. I just wish we could have both, we would be unstoppable.

Not true are TOP was higher first 5 games then now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
A couple things are going on;

1. Good defenses confuse and slow down offenses, that includes coordinators getting the plays into the QB.

2. Russell also looks hesitant and confused sometimes as he's trying to dissect the defense to see if he needs to change protection and/or the play at the line.

So it's partly give the defense credit for creating all that havok and confusion, but IMO that's on Schotty and Russell to get the play in quicker so Russell can get to the line in time to not have play after play running the clock to zero, or worse, have to call a TO.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":37tuyq0j said:

1. Good defenses confuse and slow down offenses, that includes coordinators getting the plays into the QB.

2. Russell also looks hesitant and confused sometimes as he's trying to dissect the defense to see if he needs to change protection and/or the play at the line.

So it's partly give the defense credit for creating all that havok and confusion, but IMO that's on Schotty and Russell to get the play in quicker so Russell can get to the line in time to not have play after play running the clock to zero, or worse, have to call a TO.

That or change it up to no huddle and dictate the alignment the defense will be stuck in after you set the stage for an advantage, they can't substitute easily and confuse them since if you change up you know what you want and they can tell Wilson in his headset what's happening and who's coming in.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":3m133th3 said:
Sgt. Largent":3m133th3 said:

That or change it up to no huddle and dictate the alignment the defense will be stuck in after you set the stage for an advantage, they can't substitute easily and confuse them since if you change up you know what you want and they can tell Wilson in his headset what's happening and who's coming in.

I agree, I've always said I love how much quicker Russell gets into rhythm when they go hurry up or up tempo.

We seem to see more false starts and holding penalties too when everyone's jumpy waiting for the snap as the playclock expires.

But Pete loves him some win the time of possession ball control offense, so make no mistake what we're seeing is on purpose. It's just not very clean and efficient sometimes.

John63

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":220c1my6 said:

well that make no sense if the issue is "get the play in quicker" how is that on Wilson he is not the one getting the play to himself.

John63

Reaction score
chris98251":2pa3pfl4 said:
Sgt. Largent":2pa3pfl4 said:

Or go back to what they were doing games 1-5 which WORKED.

Latest posts