Go Get MALIK WILLIS on Day #3 (Nevermind, he's gone)...

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Here’s what I remember about the prospect of adding a QB via what Pete and John said back around 2010. Something to the effect of they would build the team and let the QB position sort itself out. Essentially they talked about not reaching for a QB but would wait for one to fall to them. Seems to me they are taking the same approach this time. I seriously doubt they will just grab a QB just to grab one. John seems to be a fairly good assessor to the QB position if the rumors are true that he was looking at both Allen and Mahomes while Wilson was still a Seahawk.
The Seahawks in 2022 are most certainly not in a position to challenge for a championship. I expect them to be competitive. Building the team is the priority. The QB position will be addressed…eventually.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Here’s what I remember about the prospect of adding a QB via what Pete and John said back around 2010. Something to the effect of they would build the team and let the QB position sort itself out. Essentially they talked about not reaching for a QB but would wait for one to fall to them. Seems to me they are taking the same approach this time. I seriously doubt they will just grab a QB just to grab one. John seems to be a fairly good assessor to the QB position if the rumors are true that he was looking at both Allen and Mahomes while Wilson was still a Seahawk.
The Seahawks in 2022 are most certainly not in a position to challenge for a championship. I expect them to be competitive. Building the team is the priority. The QB position will be addressed…eventually.
This. If they decide to nab a qb now and let him develop, fine. If not, also fine. We do have a lot of other needs right now, and I trust their judgment. A lot can happen in a year.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
There is a lot more depth at positions other than QB in this draft. We need a QB, so if there is one we like we need to get him wrapped up under our tree asap because they will go sooner than later in this round. Willis will be off the board within the seven picks ahead of us today.
The also rans in this class of QBs are exactly what we'll be if we waste picks on that level.

Rat

Reaction score
If the Seahawks pick a QB earlier than the 5th round, I'll be severely disappointed. Why pay for a well done burger this year when we can have filet mignon next year?!? I feel like I'm the only one being rational here with this mindset...Draft EVERYTHING ELSE BUT QB this year, next year we can trade the farm for our generational QB of the future...
That's a lot easier said than done. To get one of those top two picks we probably need to win fewer than five games. Otherwise, we'd have to hope that whoever does have those picks doesn't need a QB themselves, and that our pick and the Broncos pick are high enough to make a trade realistic.

That's too many variables. If they have someone they like now, take him, we can revisit it next offseason if he flops. Not to mention, using a second rounder on a player who helps winning immediately takes us further from that goal of being bad anyway.

Last edited:

Donn2390

Reaction score
Can we not wait a single year and get a much better QB next year? We are NOT desperate this year for a QB
Picking a player for any position is buying a lottery ticket, one or more of todays "weaker" picks may will turn into Tom Brady. Wait a year and get the number one QB in the draft and he could turn out to be a complete bust. There are no guarantees.! Often waiting and hoping for a better result will bite you in the back side.. It happens everyday in everyday life..
It's above my pay grade to make the decision, I'm comfortable letting the brain trust do their diligence and hope for the best.

Last edited:

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Willis is a hard no. Zero shot at ever being a starter. There is nothing there. Roll with Locke, win like 2-4 games and draft a QB next year

massari

Reaction score
Willis sounds like a boom or bust. I'd take the gamble and pair him with a 1st round QB in 2023

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I keep seeing next year....next year is not guaranteed. Those guys "next year" could be a disappointment too. They could get hurt or have bad seasons, etc. So nothing in the future is guaranteed. With that said, I'd like to see them draft a QB because it would add to the competition. I like Ridder and Howell as guys that look the best of the remaining QBs in this draft. I'm not comfortable with only Lock, Smith, and Eason as the QBs.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Isn't that what everyone said about a certain russel wilson?

No, in fact Schneider said that was Russell's appeal, he had 4 full years of major college football experience in power conferences against elite competition.

I won't be mad if we draft Willis, he's got tremendous upside. But he's a BIG project and would probably need at least a year or two to develop. One read shotgun offense at a small school? That's about as far away from Russell as you can get.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Willis sounds like a boom or bust. I'd take the gamble and pair him with a 1st round QB in 2023

It's the boom or bust part that scares me. We have that in Lock. Pete and John love these boom or bust guys. Their jobs are secure so worst case, the kid is a bust. Oh well. Best case? They look like geniuses and it's been a while since they had such draft stardom. They live for that crap.

Willis will certainly remind those guys of Wilson. But I hope they're able to see both sides of that. Like Russ, Willis runs himself into sacks and spends a lot of time behind the LOS, putting a ton of pressure on his blockers. He's another sandlot guy. He depends on his legs a lot which is fun, but like Russ, should Willis see a second contract, we won't be able to risk him running so much. So what's left? The eternal scrambling looking and looking for a receiver to get open?

I'm not an expert and I'm told Pete is. So I'll just defer this to him (with fingers crossed).

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Boom or bust is the best option. This would be great. Because failure would be evident quickly and success would pay off for years. You have to pick a QB.

ALWAYS go for upside over ability with a QB. Because skills can be learned but talent you are born with.

There are better QBs in this draft. By far. But none with much upside vs him.

Smellyman

Reaction score
It's the boom or bust part that scares me. We have that in Lock. Pete and John love these boom or bust guys. Their jobs are secure so worst case, the kid is a bust. Oh well. Best case? They look like geniuses and it's been a while since they had such draft stardom. They live for that crap.

Willis will certainly remind those guys of Wilson. But I hope they're able to see both sides of that. Like Russ, Willis runs himself into sacks and spends a lot of time behind the LOS, putting a ton of pressure on his blockers. He's another sandlot guy. He depends on his legs a lot which is fun, but like Russ, should Willis see a second contract, we won't be able to risk him running so much. So what's left? The eternal scrambling looking and looking for a receiver to get open?

I'm not an expert and I'm told Pete is. So I'll just defer this to him (with fingers crossed).
they are all boom or bust. Trevor Lawrence to Try Lance are boom or bust

Rainger

Reaction score
So you “remember” what I posted 10 years ago even though you joined this site 5 years after the so called post of mine? It”s true I actually did not love the pick of Wilson as we just got Flynn but NEVER said he was the worst qb ever. Before posting something incorrect you may want to check before doing so.
Seabowl I wasn't trolling you, yes I was on this site before but with a different name. At the time I was on this site as Rainger when I lived in Victoria BC. But I know what I have said is not incorrect, just don't know how to find it. I just remember someone else on the site using your quote as their tag line on their signature. But like I said not trying to troll you, I actually liked your response to the guy your were reacting to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chuckwow

Reaction score
they are all boom or bust. Trevor Lawrence to Try Lance are boom or bust
Lawrence was drafted into one of the most dysfunctional organizations in recent memory and Trey Lance is right where he was meant to be. Surely nobody thought he'd swing on in from North Dakota state, straight to the NFCW and unseat Jimmy G.

Lynch gave up two 1sts to be in this situation. But it's still early for Lance.

When I said Pete and John love the boom or bust guys, I didn't mean that exclusively to QBs.

But your point is very solid. Big jump from college to pro and as many times as not, QBs undoubtedly are a crapshoot.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
Maybe the Seahawks will give him a shoot as a UDFA and put him on the practice squad. LOL

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
What about if he's still there in the 4th or 5th? Suddenly the potential upside comes at a more manageable cost.
This is true, but here's the thing with Willis that I think a lot of people are ignoring: He's a project.

I.E.: Whether he's boom or bust is not something we'll know this year. He shouldn't start this year, regardless how Lock and/or Smith are doing. A lot of people look at our QB for the coming season and think 'We need an upgrade!' Drafting Willis doesn't change our QB1 situation this season one bit (at least, it shouldn't).

So do we want to take on a multi-year project? Are we committed to doing that right? If we don't, it's not fair to the kid or to the organization to draft him.

Knowing he's a project with a huge potential upside, the biggest issue becomes: What is his character? Is he willing to do that work and sit on the bench for a season and a half, maybe two? Has Pete and John met with him? Do they have the sense that they know how he'll take to that role?

I mean, if they have that sense and John and Pete really are content with Drew and Geno for this year, let the chips fall where they may, then it might be a worthwhile venture. We could be setting ourselves up long term.

EDIT: Welp, that just took care of itself.

Last edited:

Latest posts