Great read! Russ wants the handcuffs removed before 4th qt

kf3339

Reaction score
TraderGary":3exfgdwg said:
Hello fellow Seahawk fans. I've been an avid Seahawks fan from day one of the franchise, and have been reading this forum for quite some time but never posted anything until today. I'm contributing this post, (you might call it a rant), because I feel strongly about it and have felt this way for several years, so here you go.

So we've arguably got one of the top two QB's in the NFL, and a future Hall of Famer. He's clearly the best player on the team, and one of the best in the entire league, and at the most important position on the football field.

So why then would Pete Carrol do everything in his power to turn Russ into a game manager for 3 quarters? I promise you defenses and defensive coordinators are scared to death of Russ. But we have a HC that chooses to take one of the best weapons in the NFL and neutralize him. Every defensive coordinator in the league should send PC a thank you card after they play the Hawks because PC is doing them a HUGE favor by running the style of offense he runs and taking the ball out of his best players hands. Honestly, it boggles the mind. There's absolutely no logic in it. Playing not to lose, which is what PC does, is a losers mentality.

Say what you will about Pete Carrol. You cannot argue with his success since he's been in Seattle, and I thank him for that. And I actually enjoy his high energy style of coaching. BUT, how much of his success here is due to RW bailing him out time and time again in the 4th quarter with a miracle comeback? Put a league average QB on the team and I would argue that Carrol's record in Seattle would be mediocre at best.

His coaching philosophy is archaic and outdated. Wilson's prime years are being wasted because of a HC who refuses to see the gift he's been given staring him right in the face. How many teams in the NFL have been trying desperately, for years, or even decades, to find a franchise QB, and we have one of the best, but refuse to utilize him to his full potential. Russ is a great QB and a future HOF'er, but he could be even better with a coach that knows how to properly use him, like an Andy Reid.

I desperately hope Carroll will listen to Wilson's pleas to remove the handcuffs and actually play to win for 4 quarters instead of one. Remove the handcuffs, sign Clowney, and this is a Super Bowl team once again.

And for the earlier poster that said RW would not survive behind our offensive line, well without going into a lot of detail, I actually think they'll be better than most think. But even if they're not, how many times has RW had a good OL since he's been here? The answer is never. And yet I'd say he's been pretty successful here, wouldn't you? And he's never missed a start. So I don't really consider that a valid argument.

Welcome as well!

For years I have been saying the same thing on this board. It's really good to finally see RW say it out loud. I only hope PC listens and will be receptive. But he is very stubborn and set in his ways. It may take RW to just call his own plays in the huddle, or at the line regardless of what PC wants to do. PC won't pull him from the game. That would be suicide.

It will be very interesting to see.

TraderGary

Reaction score
kf3339":1fle822l said:
TraderGary":1fle822l said:
Hello fellow Seahawk fans. I've been an avid Seahawks fan from day one of the franchise, and have been reading this forum for quite some time but never posted anything until today. I'm contributing this post, (you might call it a rant), because I feel strongly about it and have felt this way for several years, so here you go.

So we've arguably got one of the top two QB's in the NFL, and a future Hall of Famer. He's clearly the best player on the team, and one of the best in the entire league, and at the most important position on the football field.

So why then would Pete Carrol do everything in his power to turn Russ into a game manager for 3 quarters? I promise you defenses and defensive coordinators are scared to death of Russ. But we have a HC that chooses to take one of the best weapons in the NFL and neutralize him. Every defensive coordinator in the league should send PC a thank you card after they play the Hawks because PC is doing them a HUGE favor by running the style of offense he runs and taking the ball out of his best players hands. Honestly, it boggles the mind. There's absolutely no logic in it. Playing not to lose, which is what PC does, is a losers mentality.

Say what you will about Pete Carrol. You cannot argue with his success since he's been in Seattle, and I thank him for that. And I actually enjoy his high energy style of coaching. BUT, how much of his success here is due to RW bailing him out time and time again in the 4th quarter with a miracle comeback? Put a league average QB on the team and I would argue that Carrol's record in Seattle would be mediocre at best.

His coaching philosophy is archaic and outdated. Wilson's prime years are being wasted because of a HC who refuses to see the gift he's been given staring him right in the face. How many teams in the NFL have been trying desperately, for years, or even decades, to find a franchise QB, and we have one of the best, but refuse to utilize him to his full potential. Russ is a great QB and a future HOF'er, but he could be even better with a coach that knows how to properly use him, like an Andy Reid.

I desperately hope Carroll will listen to Wilson's pleas to remove the handcuffs and actually play to win for 4 quarters instead of one. Remove the handcuffs, sign Clowney, and this is a Super Bowl team once again.

And for the earlier poster that said RW would not survive behind our offensive line, well without going into a lot of detail, I actually think they'll be better than most think. But even if they're not, how many times has RW had a good OL since he's been here? The answer is never. And yet I'd say he's been pretty successful here, wouldn't you? And he's never missed a start. So I don't really consider that a valid argument.

Welcome as well!

For years I have been saying the same thing on this board. It's really good to finally see RW say it out loud. I only hope PC listens and will be receptive. But he is very stubborn and set in his ways. It may take RW to just call his own plays in the huddle, or at the line regardless of what PC wants to do. PC won't pull him from the game. That would be suicide.

It will be very interesting to see.

Thanks for the welcome guys. Appreciate it.

As for RW calling his own plays and going against the wishes of his coaches, he would never do that IMO. That's just not who he is.

I'm really happy to see RW finally speaking up and expressing his opinions and desires. I applaud him for that, and I too hope PC will be receptive to his wishes and turn him loose. I'm on the let Russ cook bandwagon, and have been for a long time.

I don't expect PC to completely change his spots at this point in his career. He will always be a coach who wants to establish the run, and that's fine. But his stated goal of shortening the game as much as possible, keeping it close, and letting it come down to who can make the plays in the 4th quarter is a seriously flawed strategy IMO. Why not come out strong at the beginning, and if you can build a comfortable lead, then you can run your conservative approach, within reason of course. But play to win the damn game in all 4 quarters, not just one.

Mix it up. Run an up tempo offense at times. Not always, but keep the defense guessing..... keep them on their heels. How many times have we seen the opposing defenses look completely gassed and even panic stricken at times in the 4th quarter when they decide to turn RW loose? Why would you not do that off and on through the entire game? Think back at how dynamic this offense is in the 4th quarter, and could potentially be in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd if given the opportunity. When RW is on his game, he's virtually unstoppable. Why not take full advantage of the weapon you've been given, and let your best players win the game for you.

I don't claim to know more than the coaches do. That's why I sit at home on the sofa watching the games on TV. But the logic just seems so obvious to me.

I apologize for the lengthy posts, but I'm passionate about this team and I'm passionate about this debate. And this has been a thorn in my side for too long and I need to vent. lol

Fade

Reaction score
The "Let Russ Cook", argument has far more nuance than just volume passing, but the layman fans inevitably drag the argument down to that level.

It really has not much to do with volume, and more about approach to the start of games. And not taking the foot off the pedal, in the 2nd half if they happen to build a lead. See ATL & CAR last year.

A varied attack, not a bullheaded, straightforward, piss away possessions attack. If Seattle played every qtr like the 4th qtr they would go 13-3.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":l3kp7lf6 said:
The "Let Russ Cook", argument has far more nuance than just volume passing, but the layman fans inevitably drag the argument down to that level.

It really has not much to do with volume, and more about approach to the start of games. And not taking the foot off the pedal, in the 2nd half if they happen to build a lead. See ATL & CAR last year.

A varied attack, not a bullheaded, straightforward, piss away possessions attack. If Seattle played every qtr like the 4th qtr they would go 13-3.
This.

kf3339

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2eevli04 said:
Fade":2eevli04 said:

This.

:ditto:

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Dude is it crazy to believe that once Wilson starts regressing as an athlete and becomes more of pure pocket passer that his floor might still be better than a prime Matt Hasselbeck. #ThisIs3sTeam

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
TraderGary":2w17gnpe said:

Killer first post bro. This site could have used you long before now. Hard to argue with common sense.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Fade":2lu67xi3 said:

The number of uneducated opinions that think it just means "pass moar!!" is depressing. Letting Russell do what he wants to do and control the offense is what it's all about, as you've stated. We would be considerably better if Pete could just let go and let Russell do it...

TraderGary

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":11ve0bx3 said:
Fade":11ve0bx3 said:

The number of uneducated opinions that think it just means "pass moar!!" is depressing. Letting Russell do what he wants to do and control the offense is what it's all about, as you've stated. We would be considerably better if Pete could just let go and let Russell do it...

I agree with both these comments. My point was not necessarily to throw the ball a ton more, but to be more imaginative. Doing things like rolling RW out. That puts so much pressure on the defense because they don't know if he's going to tuck the ball and run or throw it. It creates mismatches and open receivers running down the field. By making RW strictly a pocket passer plays right into the opposing defense and makes him much easier to defend.

And not only that. Running an up-tempo style offense suits RW's talents perfectly, and at times causes confusion on the opposing defenses because they don't have time to regroup or make substitutions.

The 3 yards and a cloud of dust, and too often being in 3rd and long where the opposing defense can pin their ears back and go after our QB just doesn't work in today's NFL.

These are the points I was trying to make. I think we are in agreement here.

FPD

Reaction score
Fade":2d2m4hrd said:
The "A varied attack, not a bullheaded, straightforward, piss away possessions attack. If Seattle played every qtr like the 4th qtr they would go 13-3.

This! 1000% this! If this happened, I could see 11-5 or 12-4 (dunno about 13-3, but I'd take it). The biggest thing to me though, is how the o-line does, especially in the beginning of the season. You're only as strong as your weakest link, and I believe the o-line is ours. These are the boys that need to "cook".

Ozzy

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":mt7s65r8 said:
Fade":mt7s65r8 said:

But I was told by a couple of frequent shack posters that Pete's approach is perfect. Strangely they're silent on the issue.

Jville

Reaction score
austinslater25":1ak7xz0z said:
RolandDeschain":1ak7xz0z said:
Fade":1ak7xz0z said:

But I was told by a couple of frequent shack posters that Pete's approach is perfect. Strangely they're silent on the issue.

:177692: What goes on in the shack is best kept in the shack.

This forum has a well thought out and discussed structure. Everyone's support is needed.

With regards to interest in the narrative "Let Russ Cook", this is as good a thread as any to "Let Posters Cook" ....... just support both the forum structure and guidelines.

RW4LIFE

Reaction score
tonyseahawk":2vuwa1l0 said:

A gentle but clear shot across Pete's bow by Russ and to that I say good for him.

This has been Russ's team for some time now. Pete's ego needs to step aside and let it happen.

Russ will have a huge impact on who the Hawks bring in to replace Pete. Will be interesting to see how that all plays out but for now, yes, let Russ be the deciding factor of how we play on the offensive side for all four quarters and stop trying to shackle him with an outdated scheme.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The big question is how much is this Carroll's predilection and how much is necessity?

Is it that because run blocking is easier and less taxing on OL that our OL can only effectively pass block for a quarter? (What about all the games we got in shootouts and won by scoring 30+ over 4 quarters then?)

Even more baffling is that by scoring enough, you can then run the clock down by running the ball - exactly the way that Carroll likes to do so. That Carroll chooses to run first and then pass in the end of the game is the polar opposite of how most coaches want to see a game. So why?

Is this a necessary part of our success like Russ 'holding the ball too long'?

(There was a lot made earlier on how Russ 'holds the ball too long' and how that needed to change. The challenge, when you make that change you take one of our best weapons from us. Russ is fantastic at reading the receivers after they make their move and then getting the ball to them. That offensive concept is almost uncoverable, but it needs time for the play to develop. He has to hold onto the ball longer to make the read at the right time. A really good overview of this is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjrHuG2LfXg)

So is trying to play offense all 4 quarters that same issue? Or is this just Pete clinging to a philosophy because it works overall in the regular season? (though not in the playoffs)

Is this just Pete trying to be effective with a garbage OL? Or Pete forcing an old outdated philosophy on us that works in the regular season but fails in the playoffs?(Used to be called MartyBall).

Our current approach has failed in the playoffs since the SB loss. Time to try something new. Russ is right.

NOTE:
It is interesting to note that in the youtube link shared, Seahawks were getting ready to play Dallas in the playoffs. When that game happened, Pete stubbornly refused to unleash Russ until late in the game. Choosing to run into stacked boxes for little to no gain. Repeatedly. Finally, with little alternative - we started passing the ball and but it was too late.

RW4LIFE

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2l0zhb3e said:
Our current approach has failed in the playoffs since the SB loss. Time to try something new. Russ is right.

NOTE:
It is interesting to note that in the youtube link shared, Seahawks were getting ready to play Dallas in the playoffs. When that game happened, Pete stubbornly refused to unleash Russ until late in the game. Choosing to run into stacked boxes for little to no gain. Repeatedly. Finally, with little alternative - we started passing the ball and but it was too late.

YUP.

RW4LIFE

Reaction score
Fade":2c3ov6nw said:

WRONG.

We would actually go 12-4.

John63

Reaction score
Fade":2q81rqhf said:

exactly

John63

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":lubcf689 said:
Dude is it crazy to believe that once Wilson starts regressing as an athlete and becomes more of pure pocket passer that his floor might still be better than a prime Matt Hasselbeck. #ThisIs3sTeam

no he is better than Hass even now in the pocket, when he has one

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
John63":8mxnroka said:
Pandion Haliaetus":8mxnroka said:

no he is better than Hass even now in the pocket, when he has one

I was thinking more so a 36+ Russell Wilson and saying at worst in those years he might still be better than a prime Matt Hasselbeck.