Harvin / PFT speculation

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Florio over at PFT http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... s-success/ thinks if the hawks are locking up HFA thru the playoffs that they may hold Harvin back until the divisional round to unleash him.

The Flowriter":zwey2et2 said:
The challenge for Carroll and G.M. John Schneider will be to determine the right time to bring Harvin back. If the team... continues to thrive without Harvin, the powers-that-be may be inclined to unleash him, Kraken-style, as late as possible, with an eye toward getting maximum pop in the postseason. ... ... While it’s unlikely, there’s a chance Harvin’s debut will come in the divisional round. Which would make the crowd at CenturyLink Field even louder.

Tbh - I believe Harvin should come back when he can play. I appreciate the WR corps is doing well without him - but the thought of just thowing Harvin out there in a playoff game seems risky. Let him get some game time with Russell and allow Bevell evaluate his plays for later.

Edit: Article also says that Harvin's latest trip back east is not a positive or negative affirmation towards his rehab goal for returning to the team week 7.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
That's about the stupidest idea I've ever heard. Harvin needs to get worked into the system. I agree with you completely. Bevell needs to evaluate his plays for later and Wilson needs game time with Harvin.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Isn't this hyper-idiotic? Aren't the rules of the PUP that they have to play him by week 11 or 12 or put him on IR?

OP
OP
ClumsyLurk

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3d47fmy8 said:
Isn't this hyper-idiotic? Aren't the rules of the PUP that they have to play him by week 11 or 12 or put him on IR?
His article says they have to be taken off the PUP by week 11 but they have an additional 3 weeks to practice before adding a player to the 53 man roster. Even then he could just stand on the sideline.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":16mhi9xn said:
Seanhawk":16mhi9xn said:
His article says they have to be taken off the PUP by week 11 but they have an additional 3 weeks to practice before adding a player to the 53 man roster. Even then he could just stand on the sideline.

Pretty sure that's wrong. While not the best source, according to Wikipedia:

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a three-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional three-week window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season

Tical21

Reaction score
I do think they're going to be very conservative with him if we're rolling along, but they most certainly would want to get him going before the playoffs start.

hawker84

Reaction score
dumb.. he needs time to get into the flow of the system, get his timing down with RW, and most importantly get in game shape, the only way you do that is to play and take some hits..
can't see this happening IMO...

OP
OP
ClumsyLurk

ClumsyLurk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2humxq22 said:
Pretty sure that's wrong. While not the best source, according to Wikipedia:

A player who finishes the preseason still on the PUP list can then be placed on the regular-season PUP list. Such players must sit out the first six games their team plays. At that point, teams have a three-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional three-week window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster. If either of those deadlines pass, the player must remain on the PUP list for the remainder of the season
This is from January 2013 - looks like the rules were updated to give players more time to heal. http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... -pup-rules

Commencing on the day after the conclusion of the sixth regular season weekend (October 15) and continuing through the day after the conclusion of the 11th regular season weekend (November 19), clubs are permitted to begin practicing players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform for a period not to exceed 21 calendar days. Pads and helmets are permitted during the 21-day period. At any time during the 21-day practice period, or prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the day after the conclusion of the 21-day period, clubs are permitted to restore such players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform to their Active/Inactive List.

Regardless - its nice that the production of the corps at the moment gives us time for him to heal. But waiting until the post season to wow everyone is borderline lunacy.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2j4fcbyw said:
Florio is overthinking things again.

Yes. He does that.

When Harvin can play, he'll play. It really is that simple.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Just going to pile on here, this is absolutely moronic. A one-game elimination playoff game would be the worst time to disrupt your offense by getting a new player acclimated. NFL defenses are too good to simply "unleash" an offensive player. The staff needs to figure out what works for Percy and what doesn't within our offense.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
Don't we have a game against the Texans tomorrow? What in the hell is he talking about. Divisional round?? We have to get there first and we have a long way to go first. Thank god the team doesn't think this way.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Keep your big money WR, and arguably biggest Offensive threat, on the sidelines so you can "surprise" teams in the playoffs?

Man, every year Florio has a few of these idiotic articles. Perfect example of Florio having a random thought and publishing it before anyone has the chance to edit his ideas.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Week 10 will basically represent a full year (not season) since he last played football. His injury sounds like the variety that can happen again, but worse, if he plays and is not 100%.

With the above in mind, many other variables need to be considered as well. What if we go on a tear the second half, with the team flat-out dominating in every dept.?

What if Miami, Houston, NE and KC flounder, while Peyton Denver loses the rest of his O line? My point being it's entirely possible that by the time Harvin is REALLY ready, he may be a luxury we don't need to risk. I hope this happens because it is likely Harvin will not be an addition next year, he will be a replacement. It's hard enough keeping him on the field. Rushing him back from injury is not a good idea under any circumstances. Thinks me.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2x1e7wh3 said:
MontanaHawk05":2x1e7wh3 said:
Florio is overthinking things again.

Yes. He does that.

When Harvin can play, he'll play. It really is that simple.
Exactly. Too many times we've seen players come in their first game back and simply be ineffective because they have no chemistry or feel for the players they are playing with and vice versa. Why wait? Put him in and be dominant. Be who they are, challenge themselves. Let the other teams worry.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
Harvin gets injured a lot, play him in week 7, week 8 and he'll re injure again. I believe that Harvin should be back against NO.

bellyfat

Reaction score
Not only is that a stupid strategy but why would Harvin even put up with that? We know his competitive nature he wouldn't have two seconds of that bulls---.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
This would, in my ever so humble opinion, be lunacy.
a) You are making a rather large assumption that he will be 100% healthy at that point.
b) He would essentially be jumping into a high pressure game situation with essentially no playing time whatsoever playing in the Russell Wilson system. This would seem to be an unlikely and also unfair situation for all parties involved.
c) Pete has made no bones about the fact that the players are here to compete at every position and at all levels. Were we to make it to the Playoffs as postulated, we will have done so in no small part because of one of the receivers Percy would theoretically supplant. So you are assuming that he has outperformed one of the guys that have been there all season long doing the job for you. That’s a hell of a tough decision to make going into the playoffs!
I am no coach. I am just a spectator and fan. I want to see Harvin in there as much and as soon as anyone just to really see what this Offense can do with all guns firing! I suspect when that time comes I will not be disappointed!

ivotuk

Reaction score
HawkWow":wj6odn0w said:
Week 10 will basically represent a full year (not season) since he last played football. His injury sounds like the variety that can happen again, but worse, if he plays and is not 100%.

With the above in mind, many other variables need to be considered as well. What if we go on a tear the second half, with the team flat-out dominating in every dept.?

What if Miami, Houston, NE and KC flounder, while Peyton Denver loses the rest of his O line? My point being it's entirely possible that by the time Harvin is REALLY ready, he may be a luxury we don't need to risk. I hope this happens because it is likely Harvin will not be an addition next year, he will be a replacement. It's hard enough keeping him on the field. Rushing him back from injury is not a good idea under any circumstances. Thinks me.

Excellent point and I'm pretty sure this was Florios message. "Don't rush him back if you're doing just fine without him. Once the playoffs have started, you can unleash him and the only film teams will have on him will be old film.

Latest posts