Here's why I won't be watching this year

Jerhawk

Reaction score
First off, as some of you who know me (none of you), the world revolves around me. So, I felt it necessary to explain why I won't be watching the 2024 Seattle Mariners.

Reason: I'm poor. Struggling to make ends meet, I can't see a justifiable reason to pay $80/mo to Fubo TV, plus the $12 Regional sports fee, bringing it up to just under $100/mo.

A few months ago, I cut the cord and turned off Comcast cable, since they kept jacking my bill around every month and hearing the news that Root Sports was going up to their premium tier package, I chose not to pay those guys anymore (besides their internet for now).

I'm not sure if I should point the finger to the Mariners, for owning Root Sports and making it hard to watch, or if I should point the finger at Comcast for being greedy, or myself for being a cheap moron.

I'm sure some of you folks have free websites that you're able to watch the games and that's great. I support that because at this point, screw the Mariners and Root Sports and all these greedy pigs for jacking the price of basic, simple entertainment up so high that losers like me can't watch the Mariners on TV. I'll have to resort to listening to the radio like it's 1949.

The end.

sutz

Reaction score
I feel ya bro. I finally got into a position where I could bite the bullet and pay their blood money. I did, only to find that they only televised 7 spring games. :mad:

Oh well. Hopefully, I'll be rewarded for it.

I've listened to the radio broadcasts. They're not too bad. Rizz is pretty decent, and Goldsmith and Shannon Drayer as well. Good luck.

bileever

Reaction score
This is where you are at an advantage if you live out of town. If you live outside of the Mariners' broadcast area, you can watch the entire season, including playoffs (I know, playoffs? What do you mean, playoffs?) for $129 on MLB TV.

That's about $25 a month, a pretty good deal. And you can watch the games live or delayed.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I thought about boycotting, but I'll still go to 4 or 5 games this year. Great chance to hang out with friends at a great ballpark. And I just love baseball. But, the bulk of my time will be watching on tv or listening on the radio. Cautiously optimistic as usual. Oh well, Go M's, thru thick and thin.

Threedee

Reaction score
I'm going to wind-up on Fubo pretty soon. My mother-in-law needs TV, but, we're slowly bringing her around to the savings on streaming over cable. That will enable me to reacquire Root.

Msfann

Reaction score
I won't be watching because no matter how the team looks it's only going to be half assed by the ownership/management. They don't care about winning a ALL. it's only about asses in the seats. They will do just enough to be slightly competitive and that's enough to get the fans to pack the stadium.

Every year they con the fans with this stupid bullshit and every year the fans get mad for about ten seconds then turn around and jump right back on the losing ship.

Excluding the fans here Mariners fans are stupid and fall for this shit every year. I've waited nearly 50 years to see this team win something and they have failed every single time. This team is not going to win a world series, they just aren't built for that and never have been and the ownership/management don't want that to happen unless a miracle happens and they fluke into one.
The deck is stacked against Mariners fans who want to see them win and most of them (excluding anyone here)are too dumb to see it. My dad and I used to watch every game but before he died even he gave up on this crap, I didn't get it at the time but do now.

In a year nothing will be any different. In 5 years nothing will be different. In 10 years things will be just like this. If this team isn't going to try then they can kiss my ass because i'm done with this shit.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
To each his/her own. I would watch them if they went 10-152. But that's just me.
And for the record, they piss me off as much as ANY fun. But giving up just isn't an option, for ME. That's all.
I just think the telling people they are stupid thing gets really old. If someone wants to believe in their team and/or pull for their team, so be it.

Go M's.

Msfann

Reaction score
I excluded everyone here, it wasn't about you.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I know. Just talking baseball, expectations etc. I totally get why people are pissed off. I've been that way for years. Esp. after the 54 percent crap.

But...............I just love baseball, always have.

Msfann

Reaction score
I knew what I had to say was going to be controversial but to be fair I did save my comments for a thread called "Here's why I won't be watching this year". :p

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep. I can 100 percent see why people won't watch, won't go, won't listen etc. Just like I can see why people stick with them thru thick and thin.

I won't even get started on the management and how they go on the cheap. Been covered soooooo much already.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
I've lived out of state for many years. If I'm lucky, there might be seven Mariner games per year. They do show parts of them on MLB Network, but that doesn't count.

I've never done the whole ditch cable and go streaming/pirate thing, except for a few Seahawk games. Streaming services run by huge corporations still glitch and delay...I am not going to pay for five or six of those plus Fubo, or Pluto, of Goofy, or Youtube TV or whatever...

Hawker

Reaction score
I feel your pain. There are no cheap options. I will only turn on some kind of cable or streaming service in August, for Seahawks pre-season and it's a good time to tune into the M's. Then end the subscription after the superbowl.

As for the April-to-July baseball season without paying for the ability to stream sports? I pick a brewery with a nice set of televisions and comfy seats to watch an occasional Saturday M's game with the wife and have a few nice drinks while we're at it.

NoGain

Reaction score
Yup. Haven't decided what to do about the M's yet this year. Comcast making Root a premium channel really sucked donkey balls for those people who had this basic cable plan. Paying twice to watch the M's. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do yet as a streamer now. Not sure if I'm going to add to make it happen. I'll probably wait and see how they doo the first few months.

nwHawk

Reaction score
First off, as some of you who know me (none of you), the world revolves around me. So, I felt it necessary to explain why I won't be watching the 2024 Seattle Mariners.

Reason: I'm poor. Struggling to make ends meet, I can't see a justifiable reason to pay $80/mo to Fubo TV, plus the $12 Regional sports fee, bringing it up to just under $100/mo.

A few months ago, I cut the cord and turned off Comcast cable, since they kept jacking my bill around every month and hearing the news that Root Sports was going up to their premium tier package, I chose not to pay those guys anymore (besides their internet for now).

I'm not sure if I should point the finger to the Mariners, for owning Root Sports and making it hard to watch, or if I should point the finger at Comcast for being greedy, or myself for being a cheap moron.

I'm sure some of you folks have free websites that you're able to watch the games and that's great. I support that because at this point, screw the Mariners and Root Sports and all these greedy pigs for jacking the price of basic, simple entertainment up so high that losers like me can't watch the Mariners on TV. I'll have to resort to listening to the radio like it's 1949.

The end.
Can totally relate. I dropped DirectTV almost 10 years ago and I have zero regrets.

Drop Fubo, that’ll save you a bundle. You can get the games for $150/year, and often then run specials at $99/yr. That’s what I do.

https://www.mlb.com/live-stream-games/subscribe

I watch the condensed game every morning in about 22 minutes. If I really want to watch a game, I just watch that instead. Gives me back a ton of time, and I still get to enjoy the Mariners.

I went Tablo for local channels (with an antenna in my garage and an SSD hard drive for the DVR experience). Easy setup. I can watch tv on my phone off the device from my garage! Cheap and easy. I pay for Amazon Prime and Netflix. Pluto TV has a ton of free channels and TV. I subscribe to NFL for games too. My extra cash savings allow me to go out a couple of extra times a month. Well worth it.