Hockey for idiots?

Rainger

Reaction score
There is a functional reason to have the intermissions thought to reflood the ice. Without that the quality of play would deteriorate as the game went on. Imagine hockey's equivalent of playing on that crap turf in Washington.

I don't know the the science of it enough to know if they could shorten the intermission and still get the ice taken care of
Nope you need the time to lay the water with the zamboni and for it to harden enough to not be mush.

RiverDog

Reaction score
For me, I have to had played the sport in order for me to 'get into it', which is one o the reasons why I've never become a soccer fan. Not only have I never played hockey, I've ice skated just once, as a freshman in college, and was so embarrassed and humiliated by my so-called friends that I never set foot on an ice rink again.

Ruminator

Reaction score
It’s amazing how muck a hockey stick actually flexes when you see slow motion.

They look rubber sometimes.
And players sometimes put a little too much pressure on the stick, pressing it on the ice to maximize the pressure-release snap of the stick to shoot the hell out of the puck, and... CRACK! Time for a new stick!

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
So I notice that sometimes a player will leave/back away from chasing the puck and appear to go help block the net.

Is this a defensive player and is that standard play?

Rainger

Reaction score
So I notice that sometimes a player will leave/back away from chasing the puck and appear to go help block the net.

Is this a defensive player and is that standard play?
Yes
2 forwards 1 center 2 defence. Defence need to watch what is happening and peel away to protect their ice

94Smith

Reaction score
And players sometimes put a little too much pressure on the stick, pressing it on the ice to maximize the pressure-release snap of the stick to shoot the hell out of the puck, and... CRACK! Time for a new stick!
Stick technology has changed so much through the years. When I was a kid, all the sticks were wood and the blades were straight. The blades started curving in the early eighties. Through the nineties a lot of players would use an aluminum stick with a wood blade insert that you could replace. Wayne Gretzky used an Easton aluminum stick for quite a few years.

Composite material sticks started coming out in the late nineties early 2000s. Originally players were using sticks that were quite stiff , but as the technology has progressed the flex stiffness has got a lot softer.

I am Canadian and we start playing hockey early here. I started when I was 5. I stopped playing at 35 when my kids were small, but may start next year again. (now 46) I grew up in Alberta and got to watch the Oilers teams of the 80s, so needless to say I am still an Oilers fan. I don't watch hockey during the regular season, but always watch every playoff run

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
We were season ticket holders for the Tacoma Rockets for a long time, and we'd always try to travel up to Vancouver once or twice a season to take in a match. Those were always fun trips.

IMO it's the best in person sport to watch. Haven't been to a Kraken match yet, not paying $300 a seat. Or $150 for nosebleeds.

Hopefully once the crazy honeymoon ticket price phase goes away, we can all get more reasonably priced tickets.
Success isn’t going to let the ticket price or demand go down. Only way that happens is to wallow in mediocrity for a few seasons.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Stick technology has changed so much through the years. When I was a kid, all the sticks were wood and the blades were straight. The blades started curving in the early eighties.
I started playing hockey in the late-50s when I was about 10 years old (born 1949)... and I agree all sticks were wood and the blades were straight... but curved blades became the norm way before the early 80s. I believe that they started in the mid-60s.

I recall Bobby Hull's sticks in the mid-60s and they were definitely curved. This is a photo of Bobby in 1968, clearly showing the curved blade of his stick.

Attachments

• Bobby Hull 2.jpg
    Bobby Hull 2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Snipe has almost gotten generic with scoring. A guy who is a top goal getter is referred to as a "sniper". And it's ever turned into the verb "sniped" referring to scoring.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What I love about OUR announcers is that they explain the game. Without talking down to people. I've learned a ton from these guys.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Well they have that new kid, Kartye, they keep referring to him as a sniper, IDK, but, when he shoots.. his shots come off his stick like a bat outta hell, he seems to set up well and is always at the right place. That lineup of him, Beniers and Eberle is really good. Kraks got an issue when McCann comes back..how do you keep this kid in, someone has to go.