Hockey for idiots?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So the puck has to cross the blue line BEFORE any player that doesn’t have control of the puck crosses it.

If the player in control of the puck was to pass it backwards across the blue line he would be called offsides ?

1. Yes.

2. He would if the person he passed it to crosses the blue line with the puck. He has to spin back around and get on the other side of the blue line again.

It's why you see guys backtrack with the puck waiting for their teammates to get out of the attacking zone.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
1. Yes.

2. He would if the person he passed it to crosses the blue line with the puck. He has to spin back around and get on the other side of the blue line again.

It's why you see guys backtrack with the puck waiting for their teammates to get out of the attacking zone.
So players can be across the line as long as the puck doesn’t cross the line?

Is this rule in place to give the defense a fighting chance?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So players can be across the line as long as the puck doesn’t cross the line?

Is this rule in place to give the defense a fighting chance?

Yes to both.

Again, like soccer it prevents cherry picking. Just having players camp out in the defensive zones.

Unlike soccer it's much easier for refs to make offsides calls with lines on the ice and review capabilities now. Honestly I think hockey refs do the best job of any refs in sports. Very rarely do they miss or make bad calls.

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
Yes to both.

Again, like soccer it prevents cherry picking. Just having players camp out in the defensive zones.

Unlike soccer it's much easier for refs to make offsides calls with lines on the ice and review capabilities now. Honestly I think hockey refs do the best job of any refs in sports. Very rarely do they miss or make bad calls.
How available is video replay to hockey officials.

Can they review any call, do coaches get to challenge any calls?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
How available is video replay to hockey officials.

Can they review any call, do coaches get to challenge any calls?

The NHL does it similar to the NFL, there's a nebulous "replay officials" office somewhere up in the Great White North who review goals, penalties, and other calls if a challenge is called by the coaches.

I think each coach gets one challenge per match?

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
Hard to beat watching playoff hockey. If you want to be hooked as a fan just go see an NHL game in person. I had never been to an NHL game until i went to a San Jose Sharks game when they were an expansion team. Seats on the glass - I simply couldn't believe how big these guys are and how damn fast they skate. I was hooked and have been a Sharks fan since. But Playoff Hockey is almost an entirely different gig. I watch even if the Sharks (as usual) are out of it.

Threedee

Reaction score
Yes to both.

Perhaps the need to be proficient skaters fosters a more disciplined culture.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
So the puck has to cross the blue line BEFORE any player that doesn’t have control of the puck crosses it.

If the player in control of the puck was to pass it backwards across the blue line he would be called offsides ?
Yes and yes. In the second scenario, the player that passed it back over the blue line would have to get back onside before he could legally touch the puck.

In the first scenario that’s why you see players “dump” the puck into a corner right before they get to the blue line and then they and their teammates race after it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
1. Yes.

Explained it better than I did.

JustTheTip

Reaction score

Crosses the line fully. Kind of the reverse of a touchdown from what I understand. Any part of the player's body over the blue line means he is still onside.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Hard to beat watching playoff hockey. If you want to be hooked as a fan just go see an NHL game in person. I had never been to an NHL game until i went to a San Jose Sharks game when they were an expansion team. Seats on the glass - I simply couldn't believe how big these guys are and how damn fast they skate. I was hooked and have been a Sharks fan since. But Playoff Hockey is almost an entirely different gig. I watch even if the Sharks (as usual) are out of it.
My love for the game started 65 years ago playing street hockey wearing rubber boots and playing on a hard snow-packed street in front of our house. From there, my game went to the ice and we played almost every day after school at the local frozen lagoon.

I grew up in a Chicago suburb a die-hard Chicago Blackhawks fan who occasionally got to watch the Blackhawks play in the old Chicago Stadium. Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Pierre Pilote, and Kenny Wharram were my favorite players. That was back in the day of the so-called Original Six... the Blackhawks, the Redwings, the Rangers, the Bruins, the Maple Leafs, and the Montreal Canadiens, who ruled the roost in the 1960s.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Yup. Road hockey, with a tennis ball.

5 minutes of hockey, then "CAR" (move the nets)

Followed by "GAME ON!"

Repeat until someone got hurt, dinner time, or too dark to see the ball.

cymatica

Reaction score
I went to a Seattle Thunderbirds game back in the Key Arena days and I was shocked how fun it was to watch in person. I can't wait to take in a Kraken home game one of these days, I can only imagine how awesome that will be with the crowd, new stadium and great quality product on the rink.
Same. Years ago got tickets to a Silvertips game a couple rows behind the goal. Been to NFL, MLB, and NBA games and live hockey beat them all, even though I had no idea what was going on.

Probably the only sport that is more exciting live than on TV.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Oh man, so many little nuances to this icing rule, this could take some time.

The offsides rule, makes sense, soccer background, hockey's offsides has fewer variables, plus the blue line as a primary reference point. That and my hockey fan GF explained it to me on video of that disallowed Avs goal.

The penalties might take some time, to understand when one dude can obliterate another team's dude and have it be a penalty or not. The hooking one makes sense.

Rainger

Reaction score
1. When the puck is untouched being passed from red line to red line. Here's a good picture to explain.

View attachment 58984

2. Offsides is when one or more players crosses the blue line before the puck is put into the attacking zone.

View attachment 58985

I assume you meant the Colorado goal in the last series called back? Even the smallest inch of skate has to be touching the blue line for there to be no offsides if the player is ahead of the puck.

3. Delayed penalties are like in a soccer match when the refs lets the play continue after the penalty if the team possessing the ball is still in a dangerous attack sequence.

In hockey it's even more clear cut. If the team has the puck the ref will let the play go on until the offending team has taken it away or the puck possession is lost.

In essence, gives more time for a scoring opportunity to happen before play is stopped and the penalty is called.
I Just saw this thread. I was just about to explain it all, TY you did it well so I dont have to. Well done.

Latest posts