How are you feeling about the Roster RN?

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
The IOL is a problem. No starting caliber Mike LB. Those are some huge holes at the moment.
yes, this. but were a week into FA. Not concerned at this point. This is going almost exactly as expected. The country club is over.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
This is a below average to poor roster right now. Very poor roster construction by Schneider and/or past mistakes by Carroll, whomever you wish to believe constructed the roster and was calling the shots.

Now without a 2nd and a 3rd round pick, it really couldn't be more obvious this franchise is in a full rebuild.

Unfortunately, rather than lean into the rebuild, Schneider turns around and overpays for average players and throws the bank at Williams simply for the sake of saving face to cover up yet another blunder of a trade. I'm sure if Williams' play declines for whatever reason, Schneider will throw yet another hissy fit and refuse to accept responsibility.

This franchise is in serious trouble right now. They seem directionless, unsure of how to proceed, and that more than anything is a huge problem.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
To answer the direct question, I don’t feel great about it.

The only time we’ve drafted a qb is the only time we’ve been contenders. And you woulda thought that might happen with Penix, but nah
You're rolling the dice with both Howell and Penix. Either one could be your franchise QB or be out of the league in 5 years. To me, it comes down to how large the investment is. Do you want to spend pick 16 on Penix and pay him pick 16 dollars or do you swap a couple of mid-round picks for Howell who still has two years on his cheap rookie contract? Plus you have more information on Howell (631 NFL passing attempts) and JS loves him.

In addition, Howell WILL be on the roster next season. There's no guarantee Penix will still be available at pick 16. There's no guarantee any of the top 6 QBs will still be available. Here are the teams picking ahead of Seattle who could take a QB: Chicago, Washington, New England, New York Giants, Tennessee (probably not), New York Jets, Minnesota, Denver, Las Vegas, and New Orleans.

sutz

Reaction score
This is a below average to poor roster right now. Very poor roster construction by Schneider and/or past mistakes by Carroll, whomever you wish to believe constructed the roster and was calling the shots.

Now without a 2nd and a 3rd round pick, it really couldn't be more obvious this franchise is in a full rebuild.

Unfortunately, rather than lean into the rebuild, Schneider turns around and overpays for average players and throws the bank at Williams simply for the sake of saving face to cover up yet another blunder of a trade. I'm sure if Williams' play declines for whatever reason, Schneider will throw yet another hissy fit and refuse to accept responsibility.

This franchise is in serious trouble right now. They seem directionless, unsure of how to proceed, and that more than anything is a huge problem.
OMG! Fear! Fire! Foes!

While I disagree about several of the opinions you posted, I believe we still have one 3d round pick. We had two before the Howell trade. I know your fantasy football dreams wants them to draft in the top half of the 1st round, it is more likely that they trade back from #16 to acquire at least one 2d, and possibly more picks in 2-3. Just my opinion. YMMV

LeveeBreak

Reaction score
I like where we are. Biggest need on D is MLB, which can be had in the 2nd/3rd (assuming trades take place). It works if MacDaddy/Frazier can get production from guys like Taylor/Hall that Hurtt clearly could not. We get Nwosu back with Mafe and add Dodson into that mix. The D has strong potential.

Grubb can get the O-line dialed better than any OC we have had in the last 10 years. We will find out what he can do with the QB's we have. If they don't work, it may be 2025 that we draft our QBOTF.

I'm intriqued for sure.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
One thing that has to be put in perspective, there’s a limited amount of resources to do a hefty amount of work here.

It doesn’t matter if it was Pete, Belichick, Madden, or PeeWee Herman. A new HC and staff will need time.

I don’t trust that JS & MM truly believe we’re going to be competitive this year. I do think they’re going to get some foundation behind this squad…and build it out right.

It’s going to require blind faith and patience. We’re in good hands…

Last edited:

CactusJack

Reaction score

Odd take.

The roster still needs a lot of work. But, this team is not directionless. Far from it. This team is in a transition. Any time you make a coaching change, there's a transition period, with a completely new staff in place. It'll just take some time to implement things. That's how fans should ultimately view 2024. A transition year.

Bringing back a guy like Damien Lewis would have been overpaying an average player. Instead, they've mostly avoided giving out big deals to outside free agents.

Leonard is a top 5-10 DT. You don't just let guys like that walk. It's also a three-year deal. So, it doesn't necessarily handicap them going forward.

This team had peaked under Pete. If you wanted to make a case that they we're directionless previously, then that would've been completely fair. Now? Not so much. They've chosen a direction. Finally.

Last edited:

Jegpeg

Reaction score
To answer the direct question, I don’t feel great about it.

The only time we’ve drafted a qb is the only time we’ve been contenders. And you woulda thought that might happen with Penix, but nah
The last QB we drafted got cut before the start of the season!

With Wilson we got very lucky getting a possible HOFer in the 3rd round is like winning the lottery, the odds against it are huge.

I'm not a follower of college football but if there a good chance Bo Nix will make a team a contender he will be taken in the top 10. Of the quarterbacks drafted 11-20 in the last 15 years I wouldn't like to have had any leading our team (though admittedly one is for non-football reasons)

QBs drafted between 11 and 20 in the last 15 years:
Pickett
Fields
Mac Jones
Haskins
Rosen
Watson
Manuel
Gabbert
Ponder
Freeman

Hawkamaniac

Reaction score
It depends on the expectations. So far as fielding a competitive team: I am cautiously optimistic. I believe the offense is an interior lineman or two from having well-above average potential, and I think the D looks significantly better with competent coordinators.

I understand the pessimism many of you have mentioned. There are holes in this roster, and it's easy to focus on. But I think just about every NFC team outside of the bay area has similar concerns. IF you asses the conference as a whole, I see:

Rosters that are definitely better -
SF, Dallas

Rosters that are probably better -
Detroit
Green Bay

Roster that might be better -
Philly

So at worst, pre-draft, and pre any coach benefit, this is a playoff roster. And the GM appears to be building for future by cleaning up the cap, making sound veteran additions, buying a young/talented QB on the cheap, etc.

Being said, if the expectation is "Championship Roster:" this roster isn't there. We'll need to see the product on the field to know if we're headed in the right direction, and even then, coaching will only take you so far ... to win the Lombardi you need either a transcendent QB, or a savvy scheme coupled with overwhelming talent. We got there once believing in the latter. I think that's where we headed.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Steelers traded a 6th NEXT YEAR for Fields. Hilarious.

The fact that Schneider couldn't or wouldn't pull that trade off should tell you all what you need to know.

That's fine, you guys keep defending him. I disagree greatly with several of you folks, and that's fine, that's what makes it a forum to talk. However, I have been right more often than not. Just sayin

hawkfan68

Reaction score

The fact that Schneider couldn't or wouldn't pull that trade off should tell you all what you need to know.

That's fine, you guys keep defending him. I disagree greatly with several of you folks, and that's fine, that's what makes it a forum to talk. However, I have been right more often than not. Just sayin
I'm glad Schneider didn't trade for Fields. Good job, John.

Hawkamaniac

Reaction score

If it were simply players, in absence of contracts, Fields might be the better get. But he's expensive this year, and prohibitively so if you want to keep him in '25. Howell, at $1M/per for the next two years makes so much more sense. Fields is a one-year guy wherever he goes

Jerhawk

Reaction score
You guys can't be serious. You'd rather gave up the draft swap for a mediocre at best QB in Howell, but not willing to part ways with a sixth for Fields??

I'm speechless. Absolutely speechless.

9-8 here we come. Yay we won 9 games John is a great GM

ruffENrowdy

Reaction score
You guys can't be serious. You'd rather gave up the draft swap for a mediocre at best QB in Howell, but not willing to part ways with a sixth for Fields??

I'm speechless. Absolutely speechless.

9-8 here we come. Yay we won 9 games John is a great GM

For sure, lol. Fields is a running back playing quarterback dude. Howell did pretty damn good for a dumpsterfire team last year. It was worth moving down picks 100 percent, and a great move to get a young guy who will compete for the starting job.

Chevy

Reaction score
I don't feel good about our future roster after the FA signings we made. JS made a bunch of 1 and 2 year signings in free agency, that's fine if we were already seen as a Super Bowl contendening type of team prior to free agency. The players we signed in free agency are off the team next year or the year after, so yeah lets muddle in mediocrity for this year and next year with these signings.

We would have been better off not spending money on average to below average starters and Geno, to be in position to have a top-10 pick in the 1st round next year. JS is just spending money just because he can on a bunch of rental players. Yet he is being applauded as being frugal on ONE YEAR contracts, so he doesn't have to reach on players in the draft. So he doesn't have to reach on a player in the draft, because he signed a FA to a 1 year contract? Maybe he feels the pressure to spend money to keep Jody Allen happy.

JS just doesn't have to reach period, if he wants to build the roster. I feel like we will be stuck with pick #20 in the first round of the 2025 draft, and losing the free agents we signed this year who were bang average players anyway.

haroldseattle

Reaction score
If it were simply players, in absence of contracts, Fields might be the better get. But he's expensive this year, and prohibitively so if you want to keep him in '25. Howell, at $1M/per for the next two years makes so much more sense. Fields is a one-year guy wherever he goes
6 million is not expensive, it's cheap. You don't do the 5th year option , you let him hit free agency and see how it works out all your risking is a 2025 6th and if he signs elsewhere you get a comp pick maybe higher then a 6th.

Edit: Steelers only paying Fields 3.2 million

Last edited:

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
It depends on the expectations. So far as fielding a competitive team: I am cautiously optimistic. I believe the offense is an interior lineman or two from having well-above average potential, and I think the D looks significantly better with competent coordinators.

I understand the pessimism many of you have mentioned. There are holes in this roster, and it's easy to focus on. But I think just about every NFC team outside of the bay area has similar concerns. IF you asses the conference as a whole, I see:

Rosters that are definitely better -
SF, Dallas

Rosters that are probably better -
Detroit
Green Bay

Roster that might be better -
Philly

So at worst, pre-draft, and pre any coach benefit, this is a playoff roster. And the GM appears to be building for future by cleaning up the cap, making sound veteran additions, buying a young/talented QB on the cheap, etc.

Being said, if the expectation is "Championship Roster:" this roster isn't there. We'll need to see the product on the field to know if we're headed in the right direction, and even then, coaching will only take you so far ... to win the Lombardi you need either a transcendent QB, or a savvy scheme coupled with overwhelming talent. We got there once believing in the latter. I think that's where we headed.

Its only a playoff roster if many of the young guys make the next jump. Witherspoon, Woolen & Mafe need to become stars, several others like Hall, Morris and Young need to show something, Love has to step up to become a top 15 safety, at least one or two of these late round O-linemen (Oluwatimi Forsthe, Bradford) need to breakthrough too.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
6 million is not expensive, it's cheap. You don't do the 5th year option , you let him hit free agency and see how it works out all your risking is a 2025 6th and if he signs elsewhere you get a comp pick maybe higher then a 6th.

Edit: Steelers only paying Fields 3.2 million
Exactly!