How close are the Seahawks to a Superbowl run?

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
You're not wrong, especially in your other post about player development. There has been a lot that's gone wrong and so much failure on that score. You could be right, that it's a trend, and not just a few mistakes here and there. I might be more optimistic than you, but ultimately, you have to judge based on the results. Maybe we're both being premature, and we'll have to look at his entire record after Pete retires to really know.

Your absolutely right. Even when Pete retires and fans state he was the greatest coach the Seahawks ever had, how can I argue about that? Although I think Holmgren was the better football coach and mind overall, Pete has the results, he doesnt. You cant argue against that.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Glad an opinion I haven't put forth is already considered biased. 😂

You havent put forth an opinion? Lol. Come on. You obviously dont agree with my opinion so it doesnt take a sleuth to figure out where you stand. I get it. You love the guy and thats perfectly fine. I understand that and I know im in a very small minority for not feeling the same way.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Maybe I turn a blind eye or something, but isnt the player development belief from earlier years? All I tend to see now are players never being resigned after their rookie contracts and success stories when they move on to other teams.

I know my opinion of Pete Carroll isnt popular around here and i'm sorry I feel the way I do, but I have never liked him. I'm gracious to him for the Lombardi we have now, but I just cant see future success with him.
No worries, we see it differently. I think player development, especially DBs, and surprisingly, WRs, are areas where Carroll excels, above league average. Remember how crappy our secondaries were the years before Carroll? With Geno's emergence, there's an argument for Carroll being a QB whisperer. Maybe it's really Waldron though. Can't tell. And how much of the problem is poor talent acquisition in our O and D lines and LBs in the pre-2022 drafts? Even Carroll can't make chicken salad out of chicken poo, and yeah, Carroll is responsible for much of the ingredient selection.

I thought it was super-cool your daughter went to Pitt to play soccer there; I understand that drill; I have two daughters that played college soccer, one that went from HS in WA state to Cleveland to play. Turned out Ohio has "All-State" recognition for college players, and the daughter who went to Cleveland (St.) had the honor of being selected college All-State for Ohio. Hope your daughter got a good education at Pitt and jump-start on a good career as well.

I just really admire Pete Carroll overall, for a lot of reasons. You may not realize the jewel he is and fully appreciate him until he's gone.

xray

Reaction score
Will make it to the NFC championship this year, will make it to the Super Bowl the year after.
The Hawks have to get off the schneid in the playoffs before anything else can happen .

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
We're a contender. That's my opinion. Even if you froze it right now, and didn't apply much more to the dline.

I think people completely underestimate the upgrades that we HAVE made on defense, and giving Geno an extra .5 ticks or so at the center position - and the 2 that will be competing for snaps at center.

You take 7-10 points a game off the board from last year - which is entirely possible with Bwags back home, and the defensive stuff we've got (yes, the line still needs some FA work) - and give Geno a proper time of possession - AND flex his new muscles with WR3 and a couple running backs - and we're like 15-2 last season. Munich was straight up fixed.

Any given season - but we could contend this year. I don't see why not.

Having said that - if we get hit with the wrong injury bug - well, we could go sub .500. Any given season - but I like our pieces post-draft.

Defense handing the run game a bit better (how could it be worse) and TOP increasing so Geno can grind away - and happyness!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
No worries, we see it differently. I think player development, especially DBs, and surprisingly, WRs, are areas where Carroll excels, above league average. Remember how crappy our secondaries were the years before Carroll? With Geno's emergence, there's an argument for Carroll being a QB whisperer. Maybe it's really Waldron though. Can't tell. And how much of the problem is poor talent acquisition in our O and D lines and LBs in the pre-2022 drafts? Even Carroll can't make chicken salad out of chicken poo, and yeah, Carroll is responsible for much of the ingredient selection.

I thought it was super-cool your daughter went to Pitt to play soccer there; I understand that drill; I have two daughters that played college soccer, one that went from HS in WA state to Cleveland to play. Turned out Ohio has "All-State" recognition for college players, and the daughter who went to Cleveland (St.) had the honor of being selected college All-State for Ohio. Hope your daughter got a good education at Pitt and jump-start on a good career as well.

I just really admire Pete Carroll overall, for a lot of reasons. You may not realize the jewel he is and fully appreciate him until he's gone.

Great post olyfan and thank you. Yes the soccer days were special, but I dont miss the travelling. Lol. Shes doing really well now and thanks. Hope your girls are doing the same.

Your probably right about Pete and when he leaves. I just get frustrated with him and wonder if a younger coach like McVay or Shanahan wouldnt be a better option at this point.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Is Jalen that much better than Geno? Yet Jalen made it to the SB.

At the end of the day, it's still a team game. And the team being built around Geno is one that can contend in the next 2-3 years.
Yes, Jalen is better than Geno. A big part of his game is what he did on the ground. Geno’s issue is going back to college he collapsed in key moments. He also got very lucky not to turn over the ball more than he did.

Geno isn’t a bad QB, but I don’t think you can rely on the guy when the going gets tough. I think he falls squarely on the Cousins, Alex Smith group of QBs.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
We're a contender. That's my opinion. Even if you froze it right now, and didn't apply much more to the dline.

I think people completely underestimate the upgrades that we HAVE made on defense, and giving Geno an extra .5 ticks or so at the center position - and the 2 that will be competing for snaps at center.

You take 7-10 points a game off the board from last year - which is entirely possible with Bwags back home, and the defensive stuff we've got (yes, the line still needs some FA work) - and give Geno a proper time of possession - AND flex his new muscles with WR3 and a couple running backs - and we're like 15-2 last season. Munich was straight up fixed.

Any given season - but we could contend this year. I don't see why not.

Having said that - if we get hit with the wrong injury bug - well, we could go sub .500. Any given season - but I like our pieces post-draft.

Defense handing the run game a bit better (how could it be worse) and TOP increasing so Geno can grind away - and happyness!
Anyone can dissect plays like this and claim their team could’ve won many more games. Football is called a game of inches for a reason. It’s small little details that often decide games.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
Assuming 2024 off-season is as good as 2022 & 2023:

Slim chance in 2024. If Geno improves then the window is wide open as long as Geno's play remains elevated. I don't see much chance of this.

I really think we need to get a QBOTF in 2024, unless the coaches have actually fixed Lock's head. To have a realistic shot at a SB win, the Seahawks need a better QB than Geno's current performance level.
I completely agree with this statement but kind of wonder if it is really that vital.

Despite being limited, RW is/was an above average QB and his stats support it. I hesitate to call him "elite" because he's short and that limitation proved out because he wasn't quite enough to carry a weak team. I loved his will to win and his ability to throw on the run was pure magic, he pulled out some amazing wins.

But was he when we won the SB? 26 TD's to 9 INT's with no fumbles.

With that team, we really didn't need that much from him. Protect the ball and hand off to the beast. We got more than that and it was a lot of fun to be a fan.

I think we all are kind of hungry for a QB that we know we can rely on when the run game and defense isn't capable of getting it done. Because we know it is nearly impossible to be stopped when your QB, RB and Defense are all serious threats.

But why? When we got it done with a QB that was really just being smart with the ball.

I like that Geno isn't short but can he take care of the ball as well as RW in a reduced role? Last years numbers do raise some concerns, 30 TD's to 11 INT's with 8 fumbles, 4 lost.

Last edited:

renofox

Reaction score
I completely agree with this statement but kind of wonder if it is really that vital.

Despite being limited, RW is/was an above average QB and his stats support it. I hesitate to call him "elite" because he's short and that limitation proved out because he wasn't quite enough to carry a weak team. I loved his will to win and his ability to throw on the run was pure magic, he pulled out some amazing wins.

But was he when we won the SB? 26 TD's to 9 INT's with no fumbles.

View attachment 58987

View attachment 58988

With that team, we really didn't need that much from him. Protect the ball and hand off to the beast. We got more than that and it was a lot of fun to be a fan.

I think we all are kind of hungry for a QB that we know we can rely on when the run game and defense isn't capable of getting it done. Because we know it is nearly impossible to be stopped when your QB, RB and Defense are all serious threats.

But why? When we got it done with a QB that was really just being smart with the ball.

I like than Geno isn't short but can he take care of the ball as well as RW in a reduced role? Last years numbers do raise some concerns, 30 TD's to 11 INT's with 8 fumbles, 4 lost.
We may disagree on the level of RW's performance, but we are still using the underlying assumption that PCJS can build a defense equivalent to 2013.

That was the peak of a historical defense - the only defense in NFL history to lead in scoring for 4 consecutive years.

What do you think the chances are that PCJS can build the equivalent in the next few years?

I put it at <1%.

Hawk4life

Reaction score
We may disagree on the level of RW's performance, but we are still using the underlying assumption that PCJS can build a defense equivalent to 2013.

That was the peak of a historical defense - the only defense in NFL history to lead in scoring for 4 consecutive years.

What do you think the chances are that PCJS can build the equivalent in the next few years?

I put it at <1%.
I think PC is really good at looking at what he has and figuring out how to work with it, which can be extremely frustrating for fans. We want our coach to put the team on the shoulders of a franchise QB but I have a feeling that just isn't how PC works.

When he took 2 OL's early last year I saw that as a sign that he was looking for a passing QB and expected a trade or draft pick. But now we know that it was actually just because he no longer had the luxury of a running QB and had to protect Geno.

I think PC is continuing to use his same plan. Once again, it is really going to be up to the players. If they buy in and really want to win, it could happen again.

This is why I'm worried about Geno's ability to take care of the ball. Because we were extremely lucky that RW was really good at it.

Last edited:

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Anyone can dissect plays like this and claim their team could’ve won many more games. Football is called a game of inches for a reason. It’s small little details that often decide games.
Nope - i don't have a crystal ball.

what i do know, and i've said 100 times - munich was fixed. it rattled everyone on the team. There were 2 seasons last year. Pre munich and post munich. Look it up. Team completely lost confidence. Geno started seeing ghosts.

The Defense was hot garbage last year. You're telling me with the Safety, Edge, Corner and Bwags upgrades and additions that we couldn't skew 4 or 5 more wins?

I'm not playing April quarterback here. We're set to go. One or two more pieces and we're good for a run. And Geno won't get spooked this year.

Yea, and the 'small little details that often decide games' - were QUITE evident in munich. For F sakes. Country Road Take me home. Whatever.

We're contenders this year with some coaching and a couple small adjustments. If our TOP on offense doesn't go up by 50% this year, I'll eat my Fing hat.

We also don't have to get through F-face Rodgers or Brady on the way out of the NFC - and the Cowboys are scary - but not THAT scary.

Philly - meh. Go watch carter implode and enjoy your castoffs from the Hawks. We'll be just fine.

So - yea. Saw what we added through the draft, right?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Nope - i don't have a crystal ball.

what i do know, and i've said 100 times - munich was fixed. it rattled everyone on the team. There were 2 seasons last year. Pre munich and post munich. Look it up. Team completely lost confidence. Geno started seeing ghosts.

The Defense was hot garbage last year. You're telling me with the Safety, Edge, Corner and Bwags upgrades and additions that we couldn't skew 4 or 5 more wins?

I'm not playing April quarterback here. We're set to go. One or two more pieces and we're good for a run. And Geno won't get spooked this year.

Yea, and the 'small little details that often decide games' - were QUITE evident in munich. For F sakes. Country Road Take me home. Whatever.

We're contenders this year with some coaching and a couple small adjustments. If our TOP on offense doesn't go up by 50% this year, I'll eat my Fing hat.

We also don't have to get through F-face Rodgers or Brady on the way out of the NFC - and the Cowboys are scary - but not THAT scary.

Philly - meh. Go watch carter implode and enjoy your castoffs from the Hawks. We'll be just fine.

So - yea. Saw what we added through the draft, right?
I was commenting the premise of trying to go through that "what ifs" of if only X happens we win the game! The reality of the situation is that every team in the NFL has those small what if situations that if they had gone another way a L would be turned into a W. The truth of the matter though is it goes the other way as well.

The truth of the matter is we don't know how to judge the Seahawks team. Once again, there is going to be a lot of youth and inexperience. Most of the vets we brought in are stop gaps, for the record I think a lot of them were good acquisitions as they gave us a lot of freedom in the draft.

I think we're going to make the playoffs, but I still don't think this team is where it needs to be to be truly competitive for a Super Bowl. Even when we nailed most of our draft picks back in 2010, 2011 and 2012, it still took the Seahawks until 2013 to really be competitive.

The reality of the situation as well is we're going to be relying on a lot of rookie players as well. Those are always unknown variables. Our draft was great, fantastic on paper, but sometimes even that stuff doesn't play out.

The Seahawks have a lot of potential due to some of the young talent they brought in the last few years, but they also still have some holes. For example, our D-Line is still largely a patchwork job.

D

DomeHawk

Given the way that they have drafted for need it appears that the entire organization is in "win-now" mode. Just three more wins puts us in deep run thru the playoffs in my opinion.

Rainger

Reaction score
You havent put forth an opinion? Lol. Come on. You obviously dont agree with my opinion so it doesnt take a sleuth to figure out where you stand. I get it. You love the guy and thats perfectly fine. I understand that and I know im in a very small minority for not feeling the same way.
You don't have to LOVE Pete to be more balanced than your vitriolic hatred for the man.

Does he make mistakes? Sure. Has he been a great coach and team builder? Sure.

But your constant posts against him are irrational and it appears you see PC as the devil and the most evil person associated with the Seahawks.

You can have your opinions about him and produce your perverse "facts" to prove your right. But you fail to give him even a minute modicum of appreciation of what he has done for the Seahawks.

That then discredits everything you say!

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
You don't have to LOVE Pete to be more balanced than your vitriolic hatred for the man.

Does he make mistakes? Sure. Has he been a great coach and team builder? Sure.

But your constant posts against him are irrational and it appears you see PC as the devil and the most evil person associated with the Seahawks.

You can have your opinions about him and produce your perverse "facts" to prove your right. But you fail to give him even a minute modicum of appreciation of what he has done for the Seahawks.

That then discredits everything you say!

I dont fail to give him praise for what he has done for the Seahawks. He has my utmost gratitude for building a Super Bowl winning team. The problem is that was 10 years ago and when does the free pass finally expire? Its the past 8 years i'm basing my opinions on and the recurring themes that seem to plague him. A lot of fans have faith in him that he is going to build another 2013 roster and be king of the hill again. I dont. Why? Because the game has changed since then and i've witnessed him being outcoached numerous times. Playoff appearances with early round exits appear to be his ceiling now. That seems to be enough for most, but not me. Fans hold onto that thought that anything can happen once your in the playoffs. Did you ever notice it never does for Seattle though? Sorry, but for me to have my mind changed, he's going to have to get out of the 2nd round at some point. Nostalgia doesnt cut it anymore.