How did the 9ers not plan for a third quarterback?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
When Jimmy G went down, I assumed they would elevate Jacob Eason as qb2 behind him. Ok, they bring in Johnson instead, but then Just boot Eason off the ps. (Eason has signed a futures Contact with Carolina since) so if you didn’t like him surely there’d be some replacement in your Rolodex to replace him on ps, right?

You had no qbs. None. You also had access to most Of the ps qbs as ps Dissolves when the teams were eliminated. You wanna sign Sean Mannion or Perkins as insurance, you can and you should have Signed him to ps and elevate him. And you had the space to squeeze in that third as insurance too By healthy scratching Danny Gray.

If anyone has had Qb injuries, it is Kyle. It boggles my mind that there was no insurance given that obligations were pretty minimal.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The obvious question is why are so many QBs getting injured?
There is an answer in both the playcalling and the effectiveness of the OL.
It wasn't just Purdy getting injured. The next guy got hurt too. And shockingly, whatever other QB that you put back there - will probably get injured.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Not many teams have 3 active qbs on game day. I don’t believe seattle did either

Seattle had a ps squad qb, Mannion, in place for just such situations like this. True, we did not activate him in The wild card came against you, but we had a Qb that had managed to stay healthy all year. You guys’ qbs have been hurt since 2016 onward with the exception of 2019, and further, having Beathard and Mullens at least gave you a better chance than the one you ended up with.

QWERTY

Reaction score
The obvious question is why are so many QBs getting injured?
There is an answer in both the playcalling and the effectiveness of the OL.
It wasn't just Purdy getting injured. The next guy got hurt too. And shockingly, whatever other QB that you put back there - will probably get injured.
During this time of the season, teams play dirty.

Don't forget this is the team that has Suh with them.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Seattle had a ps squad qb, Mannion, in place for just such situations like this. True, we did not activate him in The wild card came against you, but we had a Qb that had managed to stay healthy all year. You guys’ qbs have been hurt since 2016 onward with the exception of 2019, and further, having Beathard and Mullens at least gave you a better chance than the one you ended up with.
Yes but Purdy hasn't been hurt or didn't miss a snap all game except today.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Yes but Purdy hasn't been hurt or didn't miss a snap all game except today.

He was hurt prior to the regular Seattle Game. Sat out of practice all week. Kyle told the Athletic afterward that the plan had been for Purdy to tough it out with pain until it got unbearable and then have Johnson finish it.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Is it dirty though Qwerty?

If there is a lesson in the playoffs, it is that YOU ALWAYS HIT THE OPPOSING QB. Even if it draws a flag. It is in your best interest as the opposing team to hit the QB repeatedly throughout the game.

In the 80s and 90s this was called 'softening up the QB' and it works. Repeatedly hitting the QB again and again (within the whistle) causes bruising and swelling which impacts accuracy later in the game. I'd argue it is worth a 15 yarder or 2, especially on profilic offenses that would score anyway.

Frankly you see too many plays where the defender peels off at the last second (to slow down before the hit) which gives the QB more time to complete the pass. Take the flag but get the hit.
(Might even be in your best interest to get a few flags. The play where Mahomes was injured, he was hit because the secondary was holding. If you cannot get pressure, don't be afraid to get a few illegal contact calls or defensive holding calls to get extra time to hit the QB.)

But as a defense you should hit the opposing QB whenever possible.
Nobody wants anyone injured. NOt advocating that.
But if all the advantages go to the QB? (in half those hits you get the flag even if you try peeling off and hit the QB, so might as well get a hit on the QB if you get the flag anyway).

Last edited:

SF49r

Reaction score
The worst thing about this game is the fact we didn't even get a chance. The game was over as soon as Purdy went out. It's one thing for them to battle to the very end and just come up short but to lose the game in the 1st quarter is just dogshit. I thought forsure we were going to shock the world and win this game with our rookie 7th round pick but he couldn't even get a chance and theres nothing we could even do about it. Don't get me started about the refs either that just rubbed the salt in the wound, don't want to be that guy but it felt like they were heavily favoring the eagles. I know my team gets it from time to time so I can't be too mad but even then I think it's bullshit because you can't even celebrate the win and it's just a bitter taste. At the end of the day it's just entertainment though and we're all just fanboys (or girls). Definitely was a fun season to watch though despite how it ended.

morgulon1

Reaction score
The Eagles did what the previous teams were unable to do. They came at the rookie hard and often. The defensive front for Philadelphia was the difference. .

Marvin49

Reaction score
The Eagles did what the previous teams were unable to do. They came at the rookie hard and often. The defensive front for Philadelphia was the difference. .
I wouldn’t say “often”. He was hurt on like his second pass attempt. Lol.

I dunno what would have happened had he stayed healthy, but when you literally have nobody who can throw a pass it’s pretty hard to win.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Is it dirty though Qwerty?

If there is a lesson in the playoffs, it is that YOU ALWAYS HIT THE OPPOSING QB. Even if it draws a flag. It is in your best interest as the opposing team to hit the QB repeatedly throughout the game.

In the 80s and 90s this was called 'softening up the QB' and it works. Repeatedly hitting the QB again and again (within the whistle) causes bruising and swelling which impacts accuracy later in the game. I'd argue it is worth a 15 yarder or 2, especially on profilic offenses that would score anyway.

Frankly you see too many plays where the defender peels off at the last second (to slow down before the hit) which gives the QB more time to complete the pass. Take the flag but get the hit.
(Might even be in your best interest to get a few flags. The play where Mahomes was injured, he was hit because the secondary was holding. If you cannot get pressure, don't be afraid to get a few illegal contact calls or defensive holding calls to get extra time to hit the QB.)

But as a defense you should hit the opposing QB whenever possible.
Nobody wants anyone injured. NOt advocating that.
But if all the advantages go to the QB? (in half those hits you get the flag even if you try peeling off and hit the QB, so might as well get a hit on the QB if you get the flag anyway).
You are correct. Just because your number one hasn't been hurt all year, doesn't mean you go into the playoffs with one decent QB. Sign someone, there is always a has been with one game left in him just in case.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
The quarterback isn’t why they lost. Their defense gave up a bunch of touchdowns. The 49ers kryptonite has always been a mobile quarterback. He may not have rushed for a bunch of yards but was able to pick up easy first downs with his feet a couple of times during the game. Chicago, Atlanta, Denver and Philly all have mobile quarterbacks. Wilson obviously has lost a lot of mobility but still did enough to win

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
The quarterback isn’t why they lost. Their defense gave up a bunch of touchdowns. The 49ers kryptonite has always been a mobile quarterback. He may not have rushed for a bunch of yards but was able to pick up easy first downs with his feet a couple of times during the game. Chicago, Atlanta, Denver and Philly all have mobile quarterbacks. Wilson obviously has lost a lot of mobility but still did enough to win
If your D is on the field because your QB and offense can't sustain drives it makes a difference. I say calls on 49ers D were legit but at the same time the missed calls not made on Philly would've been legit too.

94Smith

Reaction score
Pretty hard to not give up tds when they are constantly on the field. Eagles were 5/15 on 3rd downs and 3.8 yards per play . They were not the reason for the loss and would have matched up better with some semblance of a pass game. I still think the 49ers would have lost but it would have been close

flv2

Reaction score
Teams don't have a 3rd QB active on game day so it doesn't much matter whether they have a #3 or a #4 on the PS. The 49ers were hoping to have Garoppolo back for the Super Bowl so there wasn't much need for a #3 QB going into this game.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Teams don't have a 3rd QB active on game day so it doesn't much matter whether they have a #3 or a #4 on the PS. The 49ers were hoping to have Garoppolo back for the Super Bowl so there wasn't much need for a #3 QB going into this game.
Its not unusual to have a no 3 either on your roster or The ps. The rest of the nfc west did, and both la and Arizona utilized this insurance this year. Everyone in this division had three qbs who could physically play either on their ps or their roster. The Broncos signed Jarrett Guarantano to its practice squad after Johnson got poached by sf, even.