How did the 9ers not plan for a third quarterback?

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
The worst thing about this game is the fact we didn't even get a chance. The game was over as soon as Purdy went out. It's one thing for them to battle to the very end and just come up short but to lose the game in the 1st quarter is just dogshit. I thought forsure we were going to shock the world and win this game with our rookie 7th round pick but he couldn't even get a chance and theres nothing we could even do about it. Don't get me started about the refs either that just rubbed the salt in the wound, don't want to be that guy but it felt like they were heavily favoring the eagles. I know my team gets it from time to time so I can't be too mad but even then I think it's bullshit because you can't even celebrate the win and it's just a bitter taste. At the end of the day it's just entertainment though and we're all just fanboys (or girls). Definitely was a fun season to watch though despite how it ended.

Which is why I agree with the pundits who want a reinstatement that an emergency qb spot should be there. Teams Can have an extra roster spot space for whichever Qb they have on their ps or whomever they wish to recruit. Or decline the spot.

A si

knownone

Reaction score
It's a lame way to lose a game, but I still think the better team probably won. The Niners' defense couldn't get off the field. Part of that is missed calls, like that catch on the first drive. But the time of possession was pretty even mid-way through the third quarter (49ers:16 minutes, Eagles:19 minutes). From that point, their defense gave up an 8-minute, 72-yard drive to seal the game.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It's a lame way to lose a game, but I still think the better team probably won. The Niners' defense couldn't get off the field. Part of that is missed calls, like that catch on the first drive. But the time of possession was pretty even mid-way through the third quarter (49ers:16 minutes, Eagles:19 minutes). From that point, their defense gave up an 8-minute, 72-yard drive to seal the game.

I agree that the birds were prolly going to win, but that was a shit show with 100 percent predictability once Johnson was out. They literally had no qb who could throw for an entire half in front of a nationwide audience for A playoff game.

knownone

Reaction score
I agree that the birds were prolly going to win, but that was a shit show with 100 percent predictability once Johnson was out. They literally had no qb who could throw for an entire half in front of a nationwide audience for A playoff game.
For sure. But how much does a practice squad QB improve the viewing experience? It would have looked better if they had attempted to pass the ball while down double digits because that was bizarre. But the Eagles have the best pass defense in the league, so it still would have felt like a foregone conclusion. The Niners don't even have another healthy QB on their roster (including the practice squad).

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
For sure. But how much does a practice squad QB improve the viewing experience? It would have looked better if they had attempted to pass the ball while down double digits because that was bizarre. But the Eagles have the best pass defense in the league, so it still would have felt like a foregone conclusion. The Niners don't even have another healthy QB on their roster (including the practice squad).

Johnson threw to McCaffrey for a td. So as terrible as he was, there was at least a Nonzero expectation that he Could do that, whereas this thing was a zero. It made it less entertains in a way that’s the easiest to avoid in the nfl.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Purdy is easily replaceable with a guy like Stetson Bennett lol no but seriously. They can easily draft another P5 quarterback to come in and throw slants and screens that’s all they run aside from the student body lefts and rights etc and still be somewhat successful. The 49ers main concern is an aging roster and injuries

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Purdy is easily replaceable with a guy like Stetson Bennett lol no but seriously. They can easily draft another P5 quarterback to come in and throw slants and screens that’s all they run aside from the student body lefts and rights etc and still be somewhat successful. The 49ers main concern is an aging roster and injuries

I was just thinking they might take Stetson or better yet some udfa no one knows about for their ps after rostering three qbs. With kyles record, he needs that extra insurance.

For us, I wouldn’t mind if we did get a qb in the mid to late rounds, set him to compete with Lock and keep him while retaining Mannion, Josh Johnson et al as basically a player coach for ps money.

olyfan63

Reaction score
The worst thing about this game is the fact we didn't even get a chance. The game was over as soon as Purdy went out. It's one thing for them to battle to the very end and just come up short but to lose the game in the 1st quarter is just dogshit. I thought forsure we were going to shock the world and win this game with our rookie 7th round pick but he couldn't even get a chance and theres nothing we could even do about it. Don't get me started about the refs either that just rubbed the salt in the wound, don't want to be that guy but it felt like they were heavily favoring the eagles. I know my team gets it from time to time so I can't be too mad but even then I think it's bullshit because you can't even celebrate the win and it's just a bitter taste. At the end of the day it's just entertainment though and we're all just fanboys (or girls). Definitely was a fun season to watch though despite how it ended.
I tuned in expecting to see a game that could go either way, with potential matchup surprises that favor one team or another. Could the Eagles D stop the 49ers Offense? We still have no idea. As a Hawks fan looking forward to watching an entertaining match between two strong teams, I felt cheated. The game lost all entertainment value. Yes, the Philly D can stop a one-dimensional 49er offense that can't pass. Yes, if the Niners go 4-and-out every possession, and the Philly Offense gets to start on the 40 yard line each drive, they will score a lot of points and the game will get out of hand quickly. I was expecting, hoping for a classic NFCCG. Looking forward to the coaching chess match, the adjustments. Instead of a battle for the ages, 49er-Packers, 49ers-Cowboys, we got Bambi vs. Godzilla. Possum in the road vs 18 wheeler.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I was dismayed that neither Philly nor kc dressed their third rostered qb for the sb after what happened to sf.

94Smith

Reaction score
I tuned in expecting to see a game that could go either way, with potential matchup surprises that favor one team or another. Could the Eagles D stop the 49ers Offense? We still have no idea. As a Hawks fan looking forward to watching an entertaining match between two strong teams, I felt cheated. The game lost all entertainment value. Yes, the Philly D can stop a one-dimensional 49er offense that can't pass. Yes, if the Niners go 4-and-out every possession, and the Philly Offense gets to start on the 40 yard line each drive, they will score a lot of points and the game will get out of hand quickly. I was expecting, hoping for a classic NFCCG. Looking forward to the coaching chess match, the adjustments. Instead of a battle for the ages, 49er-Packers, 49ers-Cowboys, we got Bambi vs. Godzilla. Possum in the road vs 18 wheeler.
Yep. Would have felt a lot better if Purdy had played the whole game and the score was the same. At least then there would be no doubt. 49ers fans are just left with "what ifs"

olyfan63

Reaction score
Yep. Would have felt a lot better if Purdy had played the whole game and the score was the same. At least then there would be no doubt. 49ers fans are just left with "what ifs"
Clearly the score with Purdy in the game would NOT have been the same. How can a fan not love a great underdog story like Brock Purdy? Purdy and the 49er Offense vs that stout Eagles Defense is the matchup I was most looking forward to. If I had a prediction, it would be that (healthy) Purdy and the 49er offense move the ball successfully, despite a couple-three sacks. Ultimately, the game would be decided by turnovers, it comes down to, does Purdy throw any picks or cough up any fumbles?

I understand the 49er "trying" to block Reddick on the injury play was Tyler Kroft, #81, who realistically we can only hope he slows Haason Reddick down. It looks like there were no backs left in to block; if there were, the hit and injury would not have occurred in the freak way they did. So it's a play design protections issue, and possibly a recognition issue on Purdy's part, though that's a pretty big ask of a rookie to see the mismatch and somehow change the protections at the LOS, have Deebo chip him, lol? But wait!! Mike Martz says the majority of the blame falls on Purdy, for a faulty clock in his head, failing to simply climb the pocket, where the edge rusher would have flown by uneventfully. How do 49er fans see this play, and the resulting QB injury, Kyle Shanahan/OC's play design fault, or Brock Purdy inexperience fault? Or maybe QB Coach's fault?

Here is a link to Mike Martz commentary on the Brock Purdy injury play:

Also, I mostly understand Shanahan's thought process on the QB rostering. I'd guess it went like this: "If we lose Brock, we've got Josh Johnson, and we still have a shot. If we lose Josh too, we are SOOOO screwed, it's not going to matter, it's an L at that point."

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Whether it is just chance or just Shan, he loses qbs to injuries much More often than others AND was mindful of that for most of his career In sf until December.