How good can '21 DL be?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Chawker":zmm7qgu9 said:
Our pass rush is fine, however our rush defense is not that good. This coupled with a aging MLB that has gone from making plays behind the line to missing tackles on our side of the line.

Our DTs are going to be a weak spot in our defense this season, it will force adams who is a hellva box safty to focus his attention inside on 1st and second downs. Which could lead to more injuries this season.

Watch for 2 runs and a short pass that how teams will move the ball on us in 2021. DTs we need help!

Cheers
words of wisdom, unless Collier and Green surprise us.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chawker":2n2s6di7 said:
Our pass rush is fine, however our rush defense is not that good. This coupled with a aging MLB that has gone from making plays behind the line to missing tackles on our side of the line.

Our DTs are going to be a weak spot in our defense this season, it will force adams who is a hellva box safty to focus his attention inside on 1st and second downs. Which could lead to more injuries this season.

Watch for 2 runs and a short pass that how teams will move the ball on us in 2021. DTs we need help!

Cheers

Probably the reason we went out and got Al Woods again, dude's a great run defender. If he and Poona can stay healthy with Mone getting some rest reps, run defense should be greatly improved.

BASF

Reaction score
Chawker":61epoutf said:

Cheers

It is very hard to determine such things, because the way each guy operates with the others plays a big part in run defense. I will use the 2005 defense as an example, the rotation of Darby, Tubbs and Bernard looked very suspect on paper. Their work together in the preseason was not good in any way, but after a few games, they gelled. The run defense ended up top five in yards and were number two in rushing touchdowns allowed.

Chawker

Reaction score
My prediction is that we will be ranked in the bottom half of the league in run defense though the first 4 games and will remain there for the season. This coupled with the youth of our LBers and Bobby Wagners age will resort in a sub par for our hawk D.

A west coast style offense will have they way with this defense in 2021.

Cheers

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Chawker":29512j1r said:
My prediction is that we will be ranked in the bottom half of the league in run defense though the first 4 games and will remain there for the season. This coupled with the youth of our LBers and Bobby Wagners age will resort in a sub par for our hawk D.

A west coast style offense will have they way with this defense in 2021.

Cheers
You aren't placing any hope on Collier ?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Chawker

Reaction score
Collier best use will be on third downs rushing from the DT position, Green and Collier worth at DE will be minimal.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Strong run defense will be key to giving Russ and the offense short fields to work with.

A lot of credit was given to the LOB during that historic period of dominance, but it was all the tackles for losses, made by that D-line, that put opposing teams in 3rd and forever situations.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Own The West":qyaxc683 said:
Like others, I believe the depth of this DL group is going to be its biggest strength. J.Reed played 847 snaps last year, Poona was 670, and then everyone else was under 500. This year I think we can keep everyone under 600. And while there's nobody 'scary' on our line, I think if our guys can play 84 quarters straight like their hair's on fire we'll be a dominant defense.

With the exception of Ford and Dunlap, I don't really see a difference between 1&2 on our depth chart, and it's possible our 3rd and long package will be completely different guys than our 1-2nd down group.

We will see if Hyder takes Collier's place on the depth chart. I'm just excited we have people who can challenge the starters for the first time in ... years!

Mone may be poised for a breakout season as well.

Fade

Reaction score
They need to find a way to go get Fletcher Cox or someone like that. A guy that can be strong against the run on the interir5, but also provide a pass rush.

They are way too specialized as it currently stands. Fletcher Cox would balance them out.

Poona, Dunlap, & Cox being your guys that can play the bulk of the snaps, and then rotate the other guys in around them situationally.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Fade":1yzepiv2 said:
They need to find a way to go get Fletcher Cox or someone like that. A guy that can be strong against the run on the interir5, but also provide a pass rush.

They are way too specialized as it currently stands. Fletcher Cox would balance them out.

Poona, Dunlap, & Cox being your guys that can play the bulk of the snaps, and then rotate the other guys in around them situationally.
Don't think Collier and Green can elevate their games?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
#3 in our division probably.

Not a strength but our DC makes our players look worse than they are.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":8ss58q1p said:

Geno Atkins healthy and being cleared recently is an intriguing player. 33 and coming off a rotator cuff tear obviously means some risk, but the dude when healthy is a monster in the middle..........and he's best friends with Dunlap, so could be something there.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1cb62pte said:
Fade":1cb62pte said:

Geno Atkins healthy and being cleared recently is an intriguing player. 33 and coming off a rotator cuff tear obviously means some risk, but the dude when healthy is a monster in the middle..........and he's best friends with Dunlap, so could be something there.

That would be a better return then Julio Jones, not cost picks and probably cheaper.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Would love to see Geno here.

Concerned just how much stock we are putting in aging players (though I love Carlos!) since aging players turn into higher % chance of injuries - but Geno would an amazing risk worth taking and a hedge if anything happened to Carlos.

At some point, we are capped because our DC is going to drag down our effectiveness but we would be better with Geno than without.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1n0sio71 said:
Would love to see Geno here.

Concerned just how much stock we are putting in aging players (though I love Carlos!) since aging players turn into higher % chance of injuries - but Geno would an amazing risk worth taking and a hedge if anything happened to Carlos.

At some point, we are capped because our DC is going to drag down our effectiveness but we would be better with Geno than without.

Yeah not sure how much interest there is in Atkins, I assume quite a bit because before the rotator tear he was still playing at a high level.

But if we can get him for 3-4M one year deal or something like that? I'd definitely be OK with that risk to add him to our interior rotation.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Carroll is kind of Doc Rivers-sh in being the kind of guy that players will gravitate toward and love to play for.
(Or is Doc Carroll-ish?)

They both have some big flaws in the ability to apply tactics/strategy but they are tremendous at getting guys to run through walls for them.

So Atkins would be an incredible option for us. DL is coveted though so getting Geno might be more a challenge than we think.

But it would make the team better. We might lose a project guy who doesn't want to be on PS or gets signed away. But otherwise, not sure why it wouldn't be a no-brainer decision.

Jville

Reaction score
Geno Atkins is a few weeks away from being cleared medically ..... July 1st. It is expected that he will be very deliberate about picking his next team. It is reasonable to assume his decision is a good month away.

In the meantime, Rookie OTA's return again today June 7-10. Mandatory mini-camp is scheduled for June 15-17. So there is plenty of signed talent to evaluate during the balance of this month.

And then there is the possibility of an unanticipated contract extension of a valued incumbent ..... as was the recent announcement of the Michael Dickson extension.

The staff is right on schedule in building a stronger defensive line for the start of 2021.

Rule

Reaction score
toffee":3qtsyw4p said:
Fade":3qtsyw4p said:

Don't think Collier and Green can elevate their games?

this is rasheem green’s contract year, so if there’s ever any time to ball out.. we’ll see!