How many rookie starters this year?

How many rookie starters will the Seahawks have this year?

Votes: 1 1.5%

Votes: 8 11.8%

Votes: 19 27.9%

Votes: 24 35.3%

Votes: 10 14.7%

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters

bileever

Reaction score
Last year, we had 5 rookie starters--Cross, Lucas, Woolen, Walker and Bryant (if you count slot CB as a positon). By any measure, that's a great draft. Chris Trapasso rated it the second-best rookie class of 2022:

But how will things stack up this year? Will we have as many rookie starters as last year? Will Witherspoon, JSN, Derrick Hall all be starters right out of the gate? How about Charbonnet, Young, Oluwatimi and Bradford? Mike Morris? Out of the 32 rookies on the 90-man roster, we could end up with ten or more rookies on the final roster.

Mick063

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as "starter" anymore?

1) Down and distance determines who is on the field.
2) Whatever personnel the opposition brings onto the field determines who Seattle counters it with.
3) The second half score and the margin of that score will determine the personnel packages.

Heck, the total number of snaps is affected by the above, not just "starter" status.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would say heavy contributors, Hall, JSN, Witherspoon, Charbonnet is going to be hard to keep off the field as well, I expect split time and it will be a while for them to figure out a formula to get the right balance. As we get in to the season Oluwatimi and McIntosh will factor in some how as a role player, Oluwatimi possibly starting, Bradford could get spot time unless he blows people away, but he is the future for sure. Reed is going to surprise, he will be a special team demon and find a way on the field in special situations. Young, Morris will be in a rotation somehow to get their feet wet.

We signed a ton of FA guys also, we have depth so playing time should be less for a lot of them to keep everyone fresh and gain experience for the young guys.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
I'm hopeful that Hall shows enough that he gets there. Also Bradford/Oluwatimi may be in the mix.
I think Olu is the starting Center next year. Book it. I also think he could end up taking over this season at some point.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
What the poll question doesn’t ask is how many starts. Does one start because of injury sometime during the season count? Is the pill based on starting right out of the gate? In order to qualify, does a rookie have to start 17 games? I chose 5 but depending on the criteria there could be more.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Last year, we had 5 rookie starters--Cross, Lucas, Woolen, Walker and Bryant (if you count slot CB as a positon). By any measure, that's a great draft. Chris Trapasso rated it the second-best rookie class of 2022:

But how will things stack up this year? Will we have as many rookie starters as last year? Will Witherspoon, JSN, Derrick Hall all be starters right out of the gate? How about Charbonnet, Young, Oluwatomi and Bradford? Mike Morris? Out of the 32 rookies on the 90-man roster, we could end up with ten or more rookies on the final roster.
Walker didn't start last year. Penny was the starter until he got hurt. JSN may or may not be considered a starter depending on what kind of personnel grouping we consider as the starting 11. It's probably not fair to use starters as a metric. Percentage of snaps might be a better measure, at least for the skill positions.

But those are technicalities. I agree with the premise about the 2022 draft being one of our best, the best in 10 years.

Witherspoon is definitely a starter, and Hall probably is. But I don't think that Olu will get the nod at center. Charbonnet can't be considered the starter as we can only start one RB, so I went with 2.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Walker didn't start last year. Penny was the starter until he got hurt. JSN may or may not be considered a starter depending on what kind of personnel grouping we consider as the starting 11. It's probably not fair to use starters as a metric. Percentage of snaps might be a better measure, at least for the skill positions.

But those are technicalities. I agree with the premise about the 2022 draft being one of our best, the best in 10 years.

Witherspoon is definitely a starter, and Hall probably is. But I don't think that Olu will get the nod at center. Charbonnet can't be considered the starter as we can only start one RB, so I went with 2.
That NT they drafted is going to play a lot .

chris98251

Reaction score
Is a Special team guy on that team a starter, I would say yes, so Kick off, Punt, Punt returns, kick off team defense. You have to say yes if you consider a Punter and a Kicker and long snapper a starter.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Is a Special team guy on that team a starter, I would say yes, so Kick off, Punt, Punt returns, kick off team defense. You have to say yes if you consider a Punter and a Kicker and long snapper a starter.

Special teams participation isn't regarded as a 'starter', but it helps demonstrate the weakness of using starters to define contributions made by rookies, especially in today's NFL where situational substitutions are much more frequent than it was 30-40 years or so ago. You can only have 22 "starters".

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
3 or 4. We had a very nice offseason as well in terms of free agency

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I think several will get in the rotation but only Young is a clear cut starter at this point. 3rd wideout isn’t a true starter. Nor is nickel corner which is where Spoon may start out. Hall will be rotational as will Charbonnet and the OL rookies likely sit on the bench at the beginning of the year.

KinesProf

Reaction score
I think contributors is more important than starters.
Agreed.

A start is predicated upon the personnel on the field for the first snap of the game. If the Seahawks open a game offensively in 13 personnel JSN will get credited with a start; if they open a game in 12 personnel, he won't.

Snaps played over the entirety of a season is a more telling number; and bonuses on entry-level contracts are often justifiably tied to that number.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I think Olu is the starting Center next year. Book it. I also think he could end up taking over this season at some point.
Hmmm..

Sometimes I forget about Olu because he had some tangible deficiencies (mainly hand size). That said, I've watched him a little (not as much as you obviously), and I think you may be right. I'd love to have a young, solid, staple at anchor on deck!!