How much will Clowney's performance at SF cost us next year?

JerHawk81

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3g5d44d7 said:
He’ll cost what he’s worth to the team, but more than Frank Clark, likely top 3 money...

I was a little surprised by this. I love love love Clowney and hope we pay him, but I typically think of the market price for a DE as being primarily driven by sacks - and he's not a 12+ sack guy.

I can't think of any DEs who recently got huge contracts without the sack numbers. Am I forgetting someone? Interested in your thoughts...

chris98251

Reaction score
Washington49er":10l89igf said:
chris98251":10l89igf said:
Washington49er":10l89igf said:
You'll know by the end of the season what his play is worth. IMHO, I think he looked good against the 9ers because Staley and Mcglinchy were rusty AF. I could be wrong, but time will tell.

For Christ sakes if they were so rusty why didn't the previous weeks guys come in, that would be on your coach now wouldn't it.

Staley and Mcglinchy looked really rusty, it happens when you been out 6 and 4 weeks. Staley will out against AZ, I'll bet you right now if Mcglinchy looks like crap, Brunskill will be in or atleast rotated.

There you go getting all chest thumpy again, you need to chill dude. Its just an observation, like I said you'll know soon enough.

The point is Mr. 6th Ring Franchise all world can do nothing wrong EVER QB was getting sacked, hit and scared and is now seeing ghosts because of your two RUSTY tackles, rotating in the other guys to save your Franchise 27 million dollar guy would not be an extreme thought.

Tical21

Reaction score
Am I the only one a little nervous that it took until this huge nationally televised game to play with this kind of energy? Kind of wreaks like a guy who sees a pot of gold down the end of the tunnel that is this season. Hopefully he was just energized by the switch to primarily playing LEO, and it's a better fit than 5-tech, and he just balls going forward. But he used a bunch of moves that he hasn't used all season. It's a little odd. I hope he's dominant and we pay him and all that. But he's still on pace for like 5 sacks this season. And I know sacks aren't everything. But I'm not on the "pay the guy at all costs" train yet. Gotta do it for more than one week.

Washington49er

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2xdrleqg said:
Excuses are all the Niners have. How does the crow taste there Niner fans?

No one is making excuses, I'm merely pointing out all the pieces of the equation. We lost by 3 points after almost 5 qtrs. of football, could've gone either way. Theres a lot more football to go. We are this far into the season and 9ers are sitting at 8-1, 1st place in NFC. Wouldn't know about eating crow because you're not serving it.

Prior to the S.F. game many of you were questioning the acquisition of Clowney based on his play, overall team sacks, etc.

So now the S.F. comes along, the 49ers have two offensive tackles returning after one out 6 weeks the other 4 weeks. Do you think they might be a little rusty?

Then you add in Kittle out, then Sanders goes down, Richburg out temporarily. Other than Sanders and Kittle no one on the 49ers seems to be able to catch a ball consistently, been happening all season long. Its why they brought in Sanders in the first place.

Unless you just started watching football yesterday you know that the longer it takes for a play to develop the longer the QB has to hold the ball, giving the pass rush more time to get home. Its not rocket science.

Bad OLines can make bad Dlines look stellar.

You know the old saying, it will all come out in the wash. You'll know after 2-3 more games whether Clowneys game has really improved or was it just the circumstances.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Go ahead and ignore the BLATANT facemask that wasn't called that handed you guys a "touchdown" to keep the game close. It was an 11 point lead with the Hawks clearly in control.
Ignore the fact that the Hawks finished without Lockett. Ignore the fact that they called an "in the grasp" on Russ that made it 3rd and 16. And who did Russ convert the 3rd down with? A 3rd string WR, that's who. Not Lockett or DK.
One QB is clutch, the other is just plain hype.
Absolutely the game could have went either way. Two best teams in the NFC right now.

Washington49er

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1wwnunxu said:
Go ahead and ignore the BLATANT facemask that wasn't called that handed you guys a "touchdown" to keep the game close. It was an 11 point lead with the Hawks clearly in control.
Ignore the fact that the Hawks finished without Lockett. Ignore the fact that they called an "in the grasp" on Russ that made it 3rd and 16. And who did Russ convert the 3rd down with? A 3rd string WR, that's who. Not Lockett or DK.
One QB is clutch, the other is just plain hype.
Absolutely the game could have went either way. Two best teams in the NFC right now.

Dude c'mon really? You're gonna go with the bad calls, there were bad calls all game long in both sides.

Like talking to a wall.

Just answer this. Were you Hawk fans questioning your D line and Clowneys play up to the S.F. game?

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=158569

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Clowney was a one man wrecking ball. He looked like the best player on the field on Monday and it wasn't really close.

That's kind of the book on Clowney though: he's a wildly talented player with an inconsistent motor and without much passion for greatness.

So, for me, as a 9ers fan, it's kind weird in that I just watched him absolutely destroy my team but I'd still be pretty giddy about the Hawks dumping 20 million + APY into him in the long term.

Clowney is basically the Matt Stafford of edge players: too good to replace, but not good enough to really count on.

I like it when my team's opponents spend big on guys like that (and hate it when my team does it -- see: Kwon Alexander; and depending on how thirsty for blood you are, maybe Jimmy Garoppolo too :D )

Washington49er

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":258hgwq9 said:
Clowney has been wreaking havok all year long. No, Hawks fans know exactly how good he is :roll:

Ok, I'll agree to disagree. Everyone will know soon enough.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The fact that you likely look at stats alone to make your determination is funny. He's double teamed more than ANY player in the NFL, and he's held on almost every play. Yet he STILL impact the game over and over again.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":21evejop said:
Clowney has been wreaking havok all year long. No, Hawks fans know exactly how good he is :roll:

I've watched him much more this year than I have in the past, and to my eyes, overall, he has been fine. Maybe good, not great. I only watch the Texans based on matchup so I have a less good read on how he has been in the past, but his play this year has mostly fit my priors as based on his reputation.

All that said, if the Hawks and their fans are excited about giving him 20+ APY (and I'm not being a sm@rtass about this, sincerely), I have no interest in concern trolling, and seriously, more power to you.

In terms of his impact I basically think of him as a younger Michael Bennett with a bit more injury concern and a bit less positional versatility.

I definitely don't dislike him as a player, but I don't love him.

Tical21

Reaction score
Popeyejones":d16wys94 said:
SoulfishHawk":d16wys94 said:

I've watched him much more this year than I have in the past, and to my eyes, overall, he has been fine. Maybe good, not great. I only watch the Texans based on matchup so I have a less good read on how he has been in the past, but his play this year has mostly fit my priors as based on his reputation.

All that said, if the Hawks and their fans are excited about giving him 20+ APY (and I'm not being a sm@rtass about this, sincerely), I have no interest in concern trolling, and seriously, more power to you.

In terms of his impact I basically think of him as a younger Michael Bennett with a bit more injury concern and a bit less positional versatility.

I definitely don't dislike him as a player, but I don't love him.
Yeah, this is kind of the catch. He's disruptive, definitely, no question. He makes a couple plays a game that not many guys can make. But until this week, his effort (or possibly conditioning) has not been consistent, particularly in the second half of games. His pass rushing repertoire is limited. It always was, I'm not sure there is disputing this. Freak athlete, not the most refined fellow. Can you make a guy that will probably never get you double-digit sacks (I know, it is only one stat, but it's a pretty darn important one for a DE) one of the highest paid defensive players in football? People are going to label me a Clowney hater as they label me a Russ hater, for having reservations about giving a player with important limitations a blank check, but I just dunno. Definitely a more impactful player than Clark, but doesn't have the pass rush skills Frank does. And they declined to pay Clark that kind of money. My guess is they get it done and pay him. But my other guess is that it will be too much money for what they get and they'll regret it to some degree. I worry a little that he seemed to play so much harder in a big national game. That kind of smells like a guy seeing a paycheck.

pmedic920

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2jteopea said:

Not so fast.

I’ve seen this dude live on several occasions.
I’ve probably watched him more than the average Hawk fan.

I was Stoked to get him, I’m worried that we won’t keep him.

I’m probably one of the few that would be willing to say that he’s an equal to JJW in terms of the havoc he can bring.

Any guy that consistently draws a double team is a guy that the team BETTER consider keeping if at all possible.

We want an elite “D”?
Pass rush and run stop are a huge part of that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Idk what some of you guys are watching, Clowney always has been and still is one of the top 5 game wreckers in the entire league.

Maybe people don't watch closely enough, and only see the final sack totals and measurable stats..........but I haven't seen one game this year when he wasn't disruptive in both the run and pass game. Certainly not to the extent we saw him completely take over the game Monday Night, but enough IMO to make him one of the highest paid DE's.

There aren't enough ways to keep track of what Clowney does to opposing offenses. Sacks, pressures, splitting double teams to throw off plays, sealing off the edge so run plays get directed back inside for little or no gain, on and on......the dude's a monster game wrecker, and I want him on my team. 20M a year? I'm in.

Just think how bad this D-line would be without him, you don't let these kinds of players walk. You just don't. He's special.