How much will Clowney's performance at SF cost us next year?

WmHBonney

Reaction score
The guy is a wrecking ball. Even if he isn't getting the sacks, he is disrupting damn near every play. Pay the man.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That fascination with stats never ends. He either disrupts the game or he doesn't. He is consistently pushing guys around, getting held and the most double teamed player in the league. He has proven to be one hell of an addition, and hopefully they make it happen.

Seymour

Reaction score
Given what Clowney showed prior to the game (possibly top 10 but not top 5), then the obvious difference maker / game wrecker he stepped up to, I would have questions as to why myself. :?:

That said, it likely netted him $5-10M over the life of his next contract, especially if he keeps it up.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
He is a great fit for this team and is making a larger impact game to game than Clark did. He is a top 10 DE for sure, probably a top 5, and when he is on fire plays like a top 3. DE is a key role in this defense so if he continues to play great football I will not blink if he does get #1 DE money.

kf3339

Reaction score
He is getting paid with us and seriously doubt he wants to leave Seattle. There are things no other team can truly offer on this team that I think will make him want to stay. I also think we are going to keep Reed and possibly even Jefferson for the right price. They could form a really strong front D-Line along with Poona and maybe Collier in time. Not sure how he is going to come around yet, but I do believe he played 5 tech in college so that would work with Clowney as the Leo.

We will see how the line handles the last end of the season and playoffs. Hope they kill it!

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Washington49er":1jicoukd said:
SoulfishHawk":1jicoukd said:
Go ahead and ignore the BLATANT facemask that wasn't called that handed you guys a "touchdown" to keep the game close. It was an 11 point lead with the Hawks clearly in control.
Ignore the fact that the Hawks finished without Lockett. Ignore the fact that they called an "in the grasp" on Russ that made it 3rd and 16. And who did Russ convert the 3rd down with? A 3rd string WR, that's who. Not Lockett or DK.
One QB is clutch, the other is just plain hype.
Absolutely the game could have went either way. Two best teams in the NFC right now.

Dude c'mon really? You're gonna go with the bad calls, there were bad calls all game long in both sides.

Like talking to a wall.

Just answer this. Were you Hawk fans questioning your D line and Clowneys play up to the S.F. game?

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=158569

You only had 5 penalties for 40 yards called. Yeah, horrible.

olyfan63

Reaction score
There's a lot of football left in this season. Clowney is a great match for Seattle. Let's see him keep doing this, or see if he regresses. Personally, I think the Seattle environment is a great fit for him and he will continue to ball out. JS/PC will make a good decision at the right time, based on the evidence. I'm looking forward to seeing him in a Seahawk uni at least 3-5 more years.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Yes the refereeing was flat-out terrible this last game, there were penalties called that were ridiculously unfair to Seattle (mystery roughing on the kickoff, imaginary in the grasp, and many non-call of obvious roughing). SF fans have homer googles on not to have noticed the inequity, plus the outrageously bad calls. I’m not whining here but it was starting to look like steering by the referees or they were intimidated by the SF fans, it was typically terrible refereeing a usual factor fans are now subjected to by a stupid league too greedy to have professional referees. Kittle was certainly missed by SF, our team was missing our top TE too, our starting OC, & our top WR in OT, so don’t go there on the personnel excuse as injuries are part of any football season. In the end, watched objectively, the game was unnecessarily close Seattle critically turned the ball over 4 times and missed 3 comparatively easy INT opportunities, giving up huge momentum swings that SF was unable to consistently take advantage of. The story of the game was not about kickers but about missed opportunities on both sides. This thread is about Clowney, and he ate SF’s lunch all game.

I said above I think Clowney is a better overall DE than Clark was, and this game showed why. He didn’t have a lot of sacks but he dominated the game. Clark never took over a game and Clowney certainly did. Clowney set the table for the rest of the DLine to rough up JGQ who certainly looked to be exposed some this game. When he is run at JC is solid, and he has interecepted a few balls this season and blocks passes well, he is a very solid complete DE and a foundational player who has scored two defensive TDS on turnovers. Maybe it wasn’t all him but he certainly spent the night applying pressure that created lots of other defensive opportunity. He doesn’t get big sack totals but he is consistently a player who needs to be accounted for or bad things happen for opposing QBs.

If Reed is at last coming on and we see more from the other edge the DLine is going to be a force over the last 6 games. Clowney will be noticed. He deserved the NFC DPOW award for this game. He will get paid and deserves it.