I wouldn’t take an early round QB ‘23

GemCity

Reaction score
A lot of the guys I was high on..have lost a lot of stock.

I know this next draft was supposed to be QB “rich” but…..

Anyone you guys are favoring still and/or see as a good fit for the Hawks?

I know there are tons of other posts on this subject but it’s a revolving question. For example, I was high on Stroud (OSU curse aside) but after the last couple of weeks, I’m not sure I would be willing to use a pick before the third on him. He wouldn’t be available at that point but…just saying.

Everyone has their ups and downs…but some of these guys aren’t doing themselves any favors as of late. Levis, Richardson, Stroud, etc…

I’m really hoping for a team friendly resigning of Geno, giving Lock more time to develop, and we draft D-line & LB as a start.

MAYBE grab a QB somewhere in the 3rd and beyond…

Chevy

Reaction score
With Geno playing the way he is, there is absolutely no way I'm drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. Geno has 5 legit remaining years before he hits the QB cliff. I'm sure we can sign him to a multiyear deal under $30 million per year, which is a bargain for a top-10 NFL starting QB.

Chevy

Reaction score
GemCity, you are obviously an Ohio St fan...what are your thoughts on some of the Ohio State's draft eligible players? Are some overrated, underrated? Good fits for the Seahawks?

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
I now believe they should wait until at least the 3rd if they're intent on drafting a QB. It's kind of relieving to know that they can wait, if they were gonna draft a QB in the first, then I feel like they'd be under pressure to pick the right one, this next draft class touted as QB-rich, but from what I've seen, I'm still not certain which first round prospect would be the *right* pick.

I'd be content with drafting a QB like Nix/McCall/Tune. I think any of them is worth a 3rd, it's a safe bet, not like we're really gonna lament wasting a 3rd round pick.

OP
OP
GemCity

GemCity

Reaction score
GemCity, you are obviously an Ohio St fan...what are your thoughts on some of the Ohio State's draft eligible players? Are some overrated, underrated? Good fits for the Seahawks?
Harrison (DE) is decent but, there’s some dawgs from the SEC that are way better. OSU’s OTs are really good but, the Hawks have those boxes checked.

We wouldn’t draft Smith-Njigba as high as he’ll go but, he’s a refined route runner. Marvin Harrison Jr…I see some great stuff happening for him and would love to have him as our #3 WR and some years later, moving up past that. I doubt he declares though. One more year would do him well.
I’d maybe…just maybe take a chance on Eichenberg but, wouldn’t do it before late 5th round, maybe 6th.

Tuimoloau had a great game last week but, on close observation, he’s a bit slow to react on the outside. Maybe overrated imo.

Hmmm…to be honest, for the way I hope we draft, I don’t see anything I’d pull from OSU. I also thought the Hawks QB room would stink this year. So, take that with a grain of salt 😉.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Pay no attention to the so called experts on ESPN and The NFL Network the real decision’s are made by NFL teams and half the time want something different. It’s hard evaluating QBs who play with top players and QBs are always over valued. It has been said 3/4 of QBs taken in the 1st round don’t make it and when this happens can set your team back 3-5 years. IMO it’s easier to build the rest of your team and try to find a QB in a later round and develop him

OP
OP
GemCity

GemCity

Reaction score
Pay no attention to the so called experts on ESPN and The NFL Network the real decision’s are made by NFL teams and half the time want something different. It’s hard evaluating QBs who play with top players and QBs are always over valued. It has been said 3/4 of QBs taken in the 1st round don’t make it and when this happens can set your team back 3-5 years. IMO it’s easier to build the rest of your team and try to find a QB in a later round and develop him
I like this. 💯

Chevy

Reaction score
Harrison (DE) is decent but, there’s some dawgs from the SEC that are way better. OSU’s OTs are really good but, the Hawks have those boxes checked.

We wouldn’t draft Smith-Njigba as high as he’ll go but, he’s a refined route runner. Marvin Harrison Jr…I see some great stuff happening for him and would love to have him as our #3 WR and some years later, moving up past that. I doubt he declares though. One more year would do him well.
I’d maybe…just maybe take a chance on Eichenberg but, wouldn’t do it before late 5th round, maybe 6th.

Tuimoloau had a great game last week but, on close observation, he’s a bit slow to react on the outside. Maybe overrated imo.

Hmmm…to be honest, for the way I hope we draft, I don’t see anything I’d pull from OSU. I also thought the Hawks QB room would stink this year. So, take that with a grain of salt 😉.
What is your opinion of Paris Johnson? I see some have him as #1 LT in the draft. If he is best available when we pick in round one, how would he project as an OG for us?

I'm having a hard time of locking in on a top-10 player for us with our first pick.

OP
OP
GemCity

GemCity

Reaction score
What is your opinion of Paris Johnson? I see some have him as #1 LT in the draft. If he is best available when we pick in round one, how would he project as an OG for us?

I'm having a hard time of locking in on a top-10 player for us with our first pick.
I’ve went to a few games and maybe it’s just me but, I feel like I see more in person.

Johnson stands out…there’s zero pressure coming from his side and he gets out on in front on run blocks.

Not a knock on CJ but, when you have the guys he has up front along with talented receivers…it makes you wonder just how good he actually is.

Kinger95

Reaction score
At this point the way geno is playing to spend a top 15 pick on a qb that isn’t gonna start right away is maybe bad asset management. If you trade down into the late 20’s or grab one with a 2nd there’s a lot less pressure on both sides . Take a premium defensive player with the 1st pick. Because we have two 1st round picks and two 2nd round picks I honestly would love to see us trade our 1st (pick between 18-25) to a bad team for pick 33-39 and a 2024 1st. Spread out your draft capital across another year and it gives u trade flexibility in the future.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score

As far as the Hawks Round 1 picks I assuming they are targeting 1-3 players and if they all get selected will look to trade out of it. My guess they will be looking for an athletic edge and possibly keep their own #1 pick. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see the Hawks to use both picks to trade up if PC/JS love a certain player. It’s nice to have surplus draft capital

RockinHawks

Reaction score
As it stands right now, if we came away without a QB in the first two rounds, but ended up with Mazi Smith and Jared Verse...I'd be pretty stoked.

If we felt the need for a QB in this draft, I'd be happy with Jaren Hall to develop behind Geno, or maybe even Grayson McCall. But right now, I would prefer not to take a QB before round 3 unless the FO was very excited about a player like Levis.

Spohawks

Reaction score
No QB in the next 5 drafts can pop in and do what Geno has done this year...ride the hot hand!

vonstout

Reaction score
There will be very good QBs in the third and 4th rounds:

Penix (Wash)
Ward (Wash St)
Leary (NC St)
Jefferson (Ark)
Hall (BYU)
Van Dyke (Mia)
Daniels (LSU)
Cunningham (Louisville)
Clemson QB

Some haven’t had great college seasons, but they all have potential. I’d LOVE to get Penix or Ward in the third.

Chawker

Reaction score

I know there are tons of other posts on this subject but it’s a revolving question. For example, I was high on Stroud (OSU curse aside) but after the last couple of weeks, I’m not sure I would be willing to use a pick before the third on him. He wouldn’t be available at that point but…just saying.

Everyone has their ups and downs…but some of these guys aren’t doing themselves any favors as of late. Levis, Richardson, Stroud, etc…

I’m really hoping for a team friendly resigning of Geno, giving Lock more time to develop, and we draft D-line & LB as a start.

I'm with you on this one GemCity !

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Pass on the spot unless you can get Penix in the third, or Hooker outside of the first.

No reason to pull a Jordan Love here with Geno playing well enough to get this team into contention when it was expected to be the worst in the NFL. Build the roster, get the D some help, let Geno do what he's been doing, and get after it.

If you want to come up with a plan for the next quarterback, building the roster is STILL the right decision until you find a young guy, who you then can drop into a comfortable cocoon of a supporting cast.

IssyHawk

Reaction score

Definitely agree with you! Given how well Geno has done, QB is not as much of a priority vs D-line/Edge/LBs. Upcoming draft is deep with good QBs - I would love for JS/PC to work their magic and find us another good one in the mid-rounds.