If you could trade '05 and '13's RBs. Would you?

Alexander or Lynch

• Alexander

Votes: 10 6.1%
  • Lynch

Votes: 153 93.9%

• Total voters

jdblack

Reaction score
We'd be looking at a ton of 3rd and longs with SA and this offensive line. He'd have more explosive plays, but we already have that in the passing game, and he'd get stuffed for losses on many of those plays where Lynch gets 2 yards.

Hah, someone actually voted for SA. 51-1.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
themunn":1qx3gfsl said:
Lynch seeks contact
Alexander avoided it.

But for every linebacker Lynch carries, you have to remember that Alexander made them miss.
No, Lynch doesn't seek any such thing, plays the hand he's dealt.

Shaun went down with minimal contact, or stepped out of bounds, while MarShawn accepts that he's going to make contact, and bulls his way through would be tacklers.

otter

Reaction score
Marshawn behind Walt, Hutch, Tobeck, Gray and the revolving door that was the RT position...that would be crazy. That would be unfair for the rest of the league. We could have had Stan Gelbaugh under center and we still would have made it to the Superb Owl. That's how dominant 'Shawn would have been behind that o-line. But to answer the question, I would take Marshawn anyday. I just like his play style more. He smashes people, then smashes more people then gets up and laughs at them, that's a football players attitude.

Seafan

Reaction score
I'd trade OLs in a heartbeat but Lynch is the man. Shaun is number five behind Warner, Watters, and Williams.

CactusHawk

Reaction score
I am still a huge Alexander fan but I have to agree with most and voted for Lynch. Don't think Alexander would do well with our current O line. Would love to see what Lynch could do with the 05 Line.

chris98251

Reaction score
With the 2005 line Lynch would get to the second level untouched so many more times and any defense that faced us would be having nightmares. You also have to think they would have to stack a lot more and that would open the passing attack up even more, Lynch can pass block, the biggest knock on Alexander, Lynch can catch also another knock on Alexander. Teams would not be tipped off that we were not running the ball as much like they were when we pulled Alexander.

djb28

Reaction score
Nope wouldnt want Alexander with todays line.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'd take Alexander's vision over Lynch's this last 5 games to be sure. Put his vision in Lynch's body, then switch the OL. While we're wishing and speculating.

The other misconception was Alexander ran soft. He did...sometimes. Shaun was one of the toughest runners inside the 20 yard line. He was almost impossible to stop at the goal line; the only time he'd get his pad level really low and bull his way in.

Overall, I'd rather watch Beast. The guy is tearing himself apart for us, and it's entertaining. He's more effective from 3-5 yards. Alexander was more effective from 10-15+

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Like everyone else, you'd have to take Lynch in a heartbeat with this o-line. Interesting thoughts on Lynch running behind the '05 o-line. I'd love to see that as much as anybody else but just not so sure even lynch would do much better than 1880 yards and 27 td's that Alexander put up. Doesn't get much better than that. Maybe Lynch could break the 2,100 yards record and/or the 28 TD's record with all those extra efforts, who knows.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think Lynch being behind the line in 2005 would have more yards since he would be in on more plays, Hass checking down to a running play would be easy since Lynch would not come out on passing downs like Alexander did.

travlinhawk

Reaction score
So what I hear everyone saying is that if we get an (05) good O-line we will be unstoppable with Lynch? Sounds good to me!

muxpux

Reaction score
I think lynch was the better pure runner, had excellent vision and shifty, but ill take Lynch's broken tackles and YAC any day. In 05 the biggest knock against Alexander was how good the o-line was which inflated his stats. Though I think he did a lot to achieve what he did. You can't tell me some 3rd string scrub would have put up those numbers. There may have been lots of huge holes to run through but he still slipped through some tight blocks, he was shifty. I don't believe CJ2K would have even put up those numbers. Unless I'm mistaken in believing him to be more of an edge runner.
But to answer the question, no doubt you take lynch with the 05 line. And no other real option. Hard to make up for broken tackles.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":39rklo44 said:
Alexander could break one from anywhere on the field at any time, he was a home run hitter... the perfect running back to have behind that O-line.

He would not do well with this O-line.

But neither would Lynch have done any better behind that one. Yes, he may have powered out extra yards here and there, but he doesn't have that high gear to break it open consistently. He would not have put up Shawn's numbers.

I dunno. I wouldn't say that Alexander had elite top-end speed in the vein of AP or even what we've seen out of C-Mike. He had great vision and could hit a hole with great quickness, but I didn't see him as a guy who could house one from 60-80 yards out. More of threat to bust a 20 yard run from anywhere on the field that broke the opponent's spirit, which allowed him to do it again right away.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Love me some Beastmode, although Shaun will always be one of my favorite Hawks of all time. I just love Marshawn's physicality.

One unit that I would switch, as many have mentioned before, is the 2005 oline for this years oline.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Alexander was excellent. He reminded me very much of Eric Dickerson. They are very different type backs.

Alexander glided ; lynch is a plodder.
Alexander could not block at all ; Lynch is very good
Alexander had excellent speed ; lynch is average
Alexander was fairly easy to bring down ; lynch is the opposite.
Alexander was a poor receiver ; Lynch this year at least is good.

If I was to built a team it would be around lynch. He does more things better. He just lacks the home run speed

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
FWIW Lynch had a lower 40 time at the combine than Alexander had at his combine. Last measurement that I'm sure is available. I understand quickness can be measured in more than one way but SA never really looked faster than Lynch to me despite having more breakaway TDs.

Alexander had better vision I think, but personally I see that as his only edge in a comparison.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
themunn":2iwhelxv said:
Lynch seeks contact
Alexander avoided it.

But for every linebacker Lynch carries, you have to remember that Alexander made them miss.

If Hutch, Jones or Tobeck wasn't on the LB already. Marshawn would be blasting through gaping holes saying WTF, these LB's are terrible until he saw the same thing happen game after game.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Lynch helps set the emotional tone for this team. His contribution is more than just running.