Is Anthony Richardson worth pick 5?

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Maybe Fields to Stroud, Levis or Young is a lateral move.

But it also buys you another 4-5 years of rookie QB salary vs having to pay Fields after next year, who hasn't exactly proved he's worthy of paying 40M+ a year.
A lynch mob would form around Halas Hall, if Poles traded Fields.

NoGain

Reaction score
I disagree on Fields, share your sentiments on the rest. I moved out here in the 1980s and became a Seahawks fan, but Bears are still my #1. Aside from trying to learn a new system last year, Fields has had a horrible OL and the worst receivers in the league. That’s all about to change. Bears fans are going crazy with anticipation.
It's certainly fair to disagree. No problem with that. It's still way too early, however, for either of us to have been proven right or wrong.

I think Fields is a great athlete, great running QB, and seemingly puts out his best of efforts pretty darn consistently by my eyes, and he is to be respected for that. The jury is still a long way out, however, as to whether or not he has the ability to become a franchise QB, or even a quality QB at the NFL level. I have my doubts as to whether he will ever be even a top half of the league passing QB. I have not seen that from him so far at either the college or pro level. Good on him if he does. I just wouldn't bet on it, knowing I could be wrong about this.

IMO, I would easily take Young over Fields without a moment's hesitation if I was in charge of the Bears. Like I said, it buys the Bears more time on a rookie QB contract, gives them some more draft capital, and Young has already shown me to be the far more complete QB than Fields.

Time will tell and we shall see. :)

Last edited:

NoGain

Reaction score
Oh, and as for the rest, the other three top QB's in the draft, I just don't have a solid clue as to who might pan out. The other three might have measurables that Young may lack, but I just don't know. I just think Young has a higher floor as of now, and that is what I'm going with, along with his other qualities that I mentioned. That's all.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
It's certainly fair to disagree. No problem with that. It's still way too early, however, for either of us to have been proven right or wrong.

I think Fields is a great athlete, great running QB, and seemingly puts out his best of efforts pretty darn consistently by my eyes, and he is to be respected for that. The jury is still a long way out, however, as to whether or not he has the ability to become a franchise QB, or even a quality QB at the NFL level. I have my doubts as to whether he will ever be even a top half of the league passing QB. I have not seen that from him so far at either the college or pro level. Good on him if he does. I just wouldn't bet on it, knowing I could be wrong about this.

IMO, I would easily take Young over Fields without a moment's hesitation if I was in charge of the Bears. Like I said, it buys the Bears more time on a rookie QB contract, gives them some more draft capital, and Young has already shown me to be the far more complete QB than Fields.

Time will tell and we shall see. :)
We will see in 2023. Hey, that’s a rhyme.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I think we franchise tag Geno with the chance to compete in the playoffs potentially with another great off-season, and I suppose we are going to probably take one of the big qb's.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The issue with the Franchise Tag is that it's fully guaranteed. For a team with a LOT of holes to fill, that's a huge chunk of the cap. A couple year deal would be a lot better imo.
I'm hoping he signs a 2 year deal that has some incentives in it. Better yet, I hope they let him test free agency. Sometimes it's better for a player to get his reality check in Free Agency before coming back to the bargaining table. If he gets a big contract somewhere else, tip of the cap to him. And they can look forward to a future comp pick.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think we franchise tag Geno with the chance to compete in the playoffs potentially with another great off-season, and I suppose we are going to probably take one of the big qb's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only time Pete and John have used the franchise tag was on Frank Clark to give themselves more time to put the trade together with KC.

They don't use the franchise tag, too cap crippling and inflexible. So I'd be HIGHLY surprised if they use it on Geno. John has his number for Geno, and I honestly don't think he'll go over that if another team wants to overpay for Geno.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
They never use it that's true, everything hinges on the top 3-4 qbs in the draft really and what JS thinks of them.

Seahawker

Reaction score
If Bryce Young falls to #5 would you want John & Pete to pull the trigger on him?
Wanted to start a poll but don't see how...?
I don't believe BY is 6', he looks 5'10", maybe 5'11". Of course they are going to list him a bit taller as the #1 pick. But hopefully they give his real measurement at the combine. Saw a picture of him standing next to Nick Saban who is 5'6", maybe 5'7" and Bryce looks 5'10". Sure two SB appearances & double digit win seasons were great (RW) but there were other factors and definitely was aftermath.

Mahomes 6'2"
Hurts 6'1"
Brees 6'
Tua T 6'1"
RW 5'10" (Do I really need to type the 5/8?)
Murray 5'10"

Personally I'm done with the sub 6' QB's, too many limitations.
Having said that the kid will probably become an all pro.
Just curious to opinions.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
If Bryce Young falls to #5 would you want John & Pete to pull the trigger on him?
I don't believe BY is 6', he looks 5'10", maybe 5'11". Of course they are going to list him a bit taller as the #1 pick. But hopefully they give his real measurement at the combine. Saw a picture of him standing next to Nick Saban who is 5'6", maybe 5'7" and Bryce looks 5'10". Sure two SB appearances & double digit win seasons were great (RW) but there were other factors and definitely was aftermath.

Mahomes 6'2"
Hurts 6'1"
Brees 6'
Tua T 6'1"
Murray 5'10"

More worried about his weight/build. It could end up like Miami with Tua, cringing at every big hit or scramble.

massari

Reaction score
More worried about his weight/build. It could end up like Miami with Tua, cringing at every big hit or scramble.
Yeah me too, but Young did take 40 sacks without issue two seasons ago, and McShay says there's no QB in the country that took more punishment than Young did last season, and only missed 1 game in his college career. Bulking up to Drew Brees' weight (listed at 207lbs in his prime) should only help too.

Tua on the other hand just seems like one of those guys made of glass.

23 02 25 at 00 33 35 Tua Tagovailoa Injury History

And with the Dolphins:

23 02 25 at 00 35 16 Tua Tagovailoa Injury History

AgentDib

Reaction score
In a perfect world this would mean we could get a huge trade from some other QB needy team willing to sell the farm for him. If we aren't getting good offers for the pick then I would look at who else was available. If my other top prospects were gone then I would feel good about drafting Bryce even though it wouldn't be my first option.

I would feel good about it because he would give us the best shot of being great immediately, particularly if we hadn't re-signed Geno. I have the same questions as most people about his long-term viability in the league and upside, but Bryce Young is the guy if you want somebody to play QB in September. Levis has the attitude and experience in a pro-style offense but his accuracy needs work. Stroud gets the ball out at the top of his drop accurately but was in a simplified college offense. Richardson is really young with way less experience.

James in PA

Reaction score
The way I look at it is this: there are at least 5-6 players worthy of taking with the #5 overall pick. In other words, we are guaranteed to land one of them by just staying put. Let the chips fall where they may.

sutz

Reaction score
The way I look at it is this: there are at least 5-6 players worthy of taking with the #5 overall pick. In other words, we are guaranteed to land one of them by just staying put. Let the chips fall where they may.
Yeah, opinions have seemed to vary on this. I basically agree with you, but some have posited that there are only guys worthy of top 5 picks. Meh, mock drafts change so drastically after the combine and the player visits it's tough to really say.

RiverDog

Reaction score
It depends on what's offered. If someone wants to give us a deal anywhere near what the Niners gave up to draft Trey Lance, for example, say that the Bucs offer to swap their #19 overall for our #5 and their 2024 1st and 3rd rounders, I'd jump on it like a chicken on a June bug.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score

Mahomes 6'2"
Hurts 6'1"
Brees 6'
Tua T 6'1"
Murray 5'10"

Murray might be 5’10 with thick shoes

there is a picture going around of ESPN talking head Mina Kimes standing next to Bryce young and she claims to be nearly 5’7” and wearing 4” heels

RiverDog

Reaction score

Mahomes 6'2"
Hurts 6'1"
Brees 6'
Tua T 6'1"
Murray 5'10"

I agree. I'm convinced that the primary reason Russell didn't throw over the middle was because his vision was limited due to his lack of height, especially late in his tenure with us as he didn't seem to be taking as deep of a drop as he did in his earlier years.

Prior to Russell, there was too heavy of a bias against short quarterbacks, but it's not like they were a pack of idiots that didn't have a clue as to the odds their odds of success.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I think the only 2 QBs worth drafting at #5 are Anthony Richardson and Bryce Young in that order.

And if either is there I wouldn't fault JS for taking them. (Especially if Carter/Anderson are off the board.)

Richardson has the best pocket movement in the draft and his running ability should put training wheels on his development. The inconsistent accuracy has much more to do with the offense as a whole being out of sync than anything broken mechanically. And even if he does have some variance to his accuracy, that can be mitigated with a strong running game and good WRs (Look at Purdy in SF).

Young is the best processor in the class. Elite level processing. But he is reckless with contact and there are moments where his arm doesn't seem strong enough for his brain. But the poise and processing are worth #5. And with 2 good-to-great tackles on rookie deals, I think you take the risk on his frame and trust you're going to have a good OL for the next few seasons.

Stroud reminds me so much of Geno Smith. But not as comfortable with pressure. Drafting Stroud to me is hoping that you get Geno on a cheaper deal.

Levis has a ceiling of Daniel Jones, but has a Zach Wilson floor. Poor accuracy over the middle. Feet are disconnected from his upper body. Slow processer. Bad pocket management. Caps your offense at the Dabol/Daniel Jones Giants.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
You can hate it, but the Seahawks are going to draft whoever is the top DE on their board. They aren’t going to spend the #5 pick on a project QB with a TD/int ratio of 17/9 and a 54% completion percentage. No %%*ing way!
Have you looked at Josh Allen’s college stats? Yes %%ing way.

Give me Richardson at #5.