Is Browner a FA after this year?

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I don't know if he's worth resigning. I like his nastiness, He's certainly a "dirtbag" as he gets under guys skin. But he'll be 30 when the 2014 season starts. It would probably be more economical to have Lane or Simon Start in 2014. The question is will either of those players show enough this year to allow Browner to be let go next year?

Basis4day

Reaction score
BelfastHawk":2i9luhl1 said:
Bummer I thought he be a RFA

He's an RFA after this year.

1/18/2011: Signed a three-year, $1.29 million contract. 2013: $555,000, 2014: Restricted Free Agent.

sainthawk29

Reaction score
He has one season on IR with the Broncos so is not illegible for RFA.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
If he's an RFA, then he's worth tendering at a 7th round pick level next year so we at least get a pick for him when some other team offers him a higher contract than the Hawks want to pay. This is assuming of course that Thurmmond, Lane, or the new rookie steps up this year and shows they are capable of being a starter (which I think is very likely).

Throwdown

Reaction score
I think they'll try to work something out with him, but it'll be a very strict negotiation process. 'Specially when they probably have 2 guys in Lane & Simon (3 if they stick with Thurmond) who can replace him.

Sac

Reaction score
I'd love Browner to get a 3 year extension. Probably wouldn't be too expensive either since his skills are very scheme specific and very few teams have the luxury of an Earl Thomas playing over the top.

Inside leverage, push the sideline, break timing, physical, big enough to defend the pass from a trailing position. What's not to like? The guy had 23pds last year.

Basis4day

Reaction score
sainthawk29":2cwtg86l said:

Incorrect. His contract will expire after 3 accrued seasons with the Hawks. So he is a RFA. If he had 4 years he would be UFA.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Basis4day":eq2lav6g said:
sainthawk29":eq2lav6g said:

Incorrect. His contract will expire after 3 accrued seasons with the Hawks. So he is a RFA. If he had 4 years he would be UFA.

Yes but he accrued a season with Denver (several years back). So he'll have a total of 4 years in the league and thus will be a URFA.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sportrac and rotoworld say he's a RFA in 2014. Someone needs to get to the bottom of this.

If he's an RFA, why not sign him to a second round tender? It costs $2.02 million. That's a bargain and would keep teams from poaching him.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
surprised so many people would like to let him go and break up a good thing. i'm all for keeping the chemistry back there together.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Basis4day":2sjt5z74 said:

It makes no difference who his contract was with. I'm intrigued to know the answer if his 2005 year counts towards his FA status. Someone who uses twitter should contact Sando or McIntyre or someone who actually will get to the bottom of the issue.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1l1g98ci said:
Basis4day":1l1g98ci said:

It makes no difference who his contract was with. I'm intrigued to know the answer if his 2005 year counts towards his FA status. Someone who uses twitter should contact Sando or McIntyre or someone who actually will get to the bottom of the issue.

I see what you mean now. The most recent expired CBA started in 2006 (BB was a "rookie" in 2005). Were there different rules for IR as part of an accrued season then?

Can someone @ tweet Davis Hsu about this?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":5dbxrwpu said:
Basis4day":5dbxrwpu said:

I had completely forgotten about his year in Denver, because he never got to play. I wonder if we'll ever find out?

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Basis4day":cvf92d8r said:
season then?

Can someone @ tweet Davis Hsu about this?

Davis is a good capologist, but we need someone with a little more access then him to answer the question.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
He'll be an UFA

In the meantime, Seattle might be wise to work out a more modest extension for cornerback Brandon Browner, a player ideally suited for their defensive scheme. Browner is signed through the 2013 season. While this will be only his third season with the Seahawks since leaving the CFL, Browner did get credit for an accrued season when he spent 2005 on injured reserve with the Denver Broncos. That makes 2013 Browner's fourth NFL season, enough to qualify as an unrestricted free agent under the collective bargaining agreement.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... f-business

kidhawk

Reaction score
Killa Kam":mr06dqrj said:
He'll be an UFA

In the meantime, Seattle might be wise to work out a more modest extension for cornerback Brandon Browner, a player ideally suited for their defensive scheme. Browner is signed through the 2013 season. While this will be only his third season with the Seahawks since leaving the CFL, Browner did get credit for an accrued season when he spent 2005 on injured reserve with the Denver Broncos. That makes 2013 Browner's fourth NFL season, enough to qualify as an unrestricted free agent under the collective bargaining agreement.

Interesting....For that to be true, the verbage in the previous CBA would have to be different than the current one. The current one says that IR doesn't accrue

Section 2. Credited Season: For purposes of calculating Credited Seasons under this Article only, a player shall earn one Credited Season for each season during which he was on, or should have been on, full pay status for a total of three or more regular season games, but which, irrespective of the player’s pay status, shall not include games for which this player was on: (i) the Exempt Commissioner Permission List; (ii) the Reserve PUP List as a result of a nonfootball injury; (iii) a Club’s Practice or Developmental Squad; or (iv) a Club’s Injured Reserve List.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Killa Kam":8rsmoenl said:
He'll be an UFA

Yeah, that's from Sando today which started all the confusion. Every other site and source i'm looking at calls him a RFA, even when he is acknowledged for that season in Denver.