Is Century Link still the loudest in the league?

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
I was at the Hawks-Chiefs game in KC back in 2014 right after they took back the noise record (something that over a dozen people felt the need to come up and tell me about; big, fat, hairy deal, guys.) Anyway, while that crowd did get very loud on two or three occasions during that game, there were also long stretches of time when the noise level was nothing close to what you hear at CLink on any given Sunday. Granted, the wind chill was 10 degrees and we were all stuck in a concrete bowl freezing our Oompa Loompas off, but to be honest I expected more.

Arrowhead can get loud when it wants to, maybe even louder than the CLink when the fans put their minds to it, but CLink gets loud on a more consistent basis than Arrowhead did, at least in the game I attended.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":2dftit9a said:
I was at the Hawks-Chiefs game in KC back in 2014 right after they took back the noise record (something that over a dozen people felt the need to come up and tell me about; big, fat, hairy deal, guys.) Anyway, while that crowd did get very loud on two or three occasions during that game, there were also long stretches of time when the noise level was nothing close to what you hear at CLink on any given Sunday. Granted, the wind chill was 10 degrees and we were all stuck in a concrete bowl freezing our Oompa Loompas off, but to be honest I expected more.

Arrowhead can get loud when it wants to, maybe even louder than the CLink when the fans put their minds to it, but CLink gets loud on a more consistent basis than Arrowhead did, at least in the game I attended.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, the KC folks were shoving the noise record in our faces for a good while.

What have they had - 1 playoff win in 24 seasons? LOL.

zchurch74

Reaction score
I live in Nebraska and have been to Chiefs games and Seahawks home games the last three years.

I can tell you that KC is louder and more into the game. They do have about 10,000 more fans and the stadium is completely enclosed. The Link is open on the north end and I think that makes a big difference.

Chiefs fans are also more into the game. Every first down the entire stadium yells, "First Down" where as the Link its about half the fans.

I think after the Super Bowl us Seahawks fans have become more critical of every play so instead of cheering we are bitching about Bevell, haha

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
zchurch74":9j49jjn1 said:
I live in Nebraska and have been to Chiefs games and Seahawks home games the last three years.

I can tell you that KC is louder and more into the game. They do have about 10,000 more fans and the stadium is completely enclosed. The Link is open on the north end and I think that makes a big difference.

Chiefs fans are also more into the game. Every first down the entire stadium yells, "First Down" where as the Link its about half the fans.

I think after the Super Bowl us Seahawks fans have become more critical of every play so instead of cheering we are bitching about Bevell, haha

That avatar. Good Lawd!

Taehwk

Reaction score
I went to my first game at CLink in 2016 - the ATL game and it seemed pretty loud to me. I know I did my part as I could barely talk the next two days at work. As for yelling first down or whatever, I think our fans are more savvy and save their voices and energy for when the opposing team is on offense. Yelling 1st down while we are on offense doesn't serve any purpose. So what you or your friend interpret as not being into the game - may be more of conscious effort by fans to be more disruptive while our defense is on the field. I also strongly believe who you sit next to helps create a raucous environment. The people I were sitting by were constantly yelling and it just elevated the experience for me. I've been to other games and the people I sat by were not die hard fans and The experience was very different.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
i thought all the games ive been to were loud. Maybe if there has been a decrease it has something to do with ticket prices on the secondary markets. Blue collar crowds not affording tickets and the corporate crowd taking over?

HawksFan81

Reaction score
It's definitely not what it was a few years ago. Seems like there's a lot more people there concerned with taking selfies than getting into the game. An unfortunate part of being successful is dealing with the bandwagoners. Still better than most stadiums though.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
HawksFan81":a47m1r6f said:
It's definitely not what it was a few years ago. Seems like there's a lot more people there concerned with taking selfies than getting into the game. An unfortunate part of being successful is dealing with the bandwagoners. Still better than most stadiums though.

Agree. Noticeable decline from a few years ago. Lots of hardcore fans getting priced out.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1lh0wj5i said:
Anyone recall, was it the Beastmode run that gave us the old "loudest ever" record?
I seem to remember that being the one, but now not so sure...

No. There was no official measurement of the noise level generated during the Beastquake run on January 8th, 2011.

The Century Link, official record of 137.6 dB was set in the next face off between the Seahawks and the Saints, just shy of 2 years after Lynch's epic run. On December 2, 2013, New Orleans returned to the Clink for a regular season matchup of two key NFC contenders. It was a coming out game, of sorts, for Russell Wilson who started out 14-of-19 for 226 yards in the first half, and finished the game 22-of-30 for 310 YDS, 3 TD and 10.3 YPA.

The Seahawks were well prepared to counter New Orleans' plan to keep Lynch in check, and blitz the hell out of Wilson. While Lynch was largely shut down, rushing for 45 yards on 16 carries, Wilson made good use of the read option to garner 47 rushing yards on 8 carries. The Hawks also planned for the blitz, and Wilson did a great job of taking advantage of all the green that was left open behind the blitzing defenders. He hit 9 different receivers including Lynch, who garnered 12 yards on 3 catches. The Seahawks took advantage of the Saints plan to shut down Lynch by running the play action pass effectively.

The defense, missing Browner and Thurmond, shut down the deep field for Brees who went 22-of-38 for 147 yards and 3.9 YPA. K.J. Wright drew the difficult assignment of shutting down Jimmy Graham, and performed admirably. Graham totaled 3 receptions for 42 yards, but 20 of those were on one catch.

The Seahawks ended Brees' streak of 43 games with over 200 yards of passing, the Saints streak of 9 consecutive Monday night Football wins, and extended Wilson's home undefeated streak to 14 games.

Nziy293

YevbvcS

E2xINFn

AgentDib

Reaction score
Noise varies tremendously based on location within any of the stadiums, who the opponent is, what the weather is like, and what the game situation is like. The 2011 season is probably the most consistently loud that I can remember during the regular season as the struggling offense plus being on the fringe of playoff contention really lent a sense of urgency to the crowd on defense. As we've gotten better the sense of urgency has decreased a bit which understandably leads to less noise.

When fellow fans complain about noise, however, I do sort of jump to the assumption that they aren't making that much themselves if they have the ability to listen to the crowd and not themselves. Maybe that's unfair.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
bigskydoc":31u2b6cw said:
semiahmoo":31u2b6cw said:
Anyone recall, was it the Beastmode run that gave us the old "loudest ever" record?
I seem to remember that being the one, but now not so sure...

No. There was no official measurement of the noise level generated during the Beastquake run on January 8th, 2011.

The Century Link, official record of 137.6 dB was set in the next face off between the Seahawks and the Saints, just shy of 2 years after Lynch's epic run. On December 2, 2013, New Orleans returned to the Clink for a regular season matchup of two key NFC contenders. It was a coming out game, of sorts, for Russell Wilson who started out 14-of-19 for 226 yards in the first half, and finished the game 22-of-30 for 310 YDS, 3 TD and 10.3 YPA.

The Seahawks were well prepared to counter New Orleans' plan to keep Lynch in check, and blitz the hell out of Wilson. While Lynch was largely shut down, rushing for 45 yards on 16 carries, Wilson made good use of the read option to garner 47 rushing yards on 8 carries. The Hawks also planned for the blitz, and Wilson did a great job of taking advantage of all the green that was left open behind the blitzing defenders. He hit 9 different receivers including Lynch, who garnered 12 yards on 3 catches. The Seahawks took advantage of the Saints plan to shut down Lynch by running the play action pass effectively.

The defense, missing Browner and Thurmond, shut down the deep field for Brees who went 22-of-38 for 147 yards and 3.9 YPA. K.J. Wright drew the difficult assignment of shutting down Jimmy Graham, and performed admirably. Graham totaled 3 receptions for 42 yards, but 20 of those were on one catch.

The Seahawks ended Brees' streak of 43 games with over 200 yards of passing, the Saints streak of 9 consecutive Monday night Football wins, and extended Wilson's home undefeated streak to 14 games.

Nziy293

YevbvcS

E2xINFn

Awesome information. Thank you!

253hawk

Reaction score
Loudness is all relative. They measure dB with a meter placed in front of a chosen section instead of on the field, so it's a poor metric considering a field like Arrowhead is going to have more people per section than C-Link due to the overall capacity difference of almost 10,000 people. But given the smaller footprint and more vertical rise of C-Link (and our cheating noise-amplifying roof), it may actually be louder on the field for the players than at some of these other stadiums which have more of a bowl effect going on due to their elongated seating.

As long as it's loud enough on the field so that the visiting team can't communicate verbally, it doesn't really matter what the dB rating is or who is louder than who.