Is Free Safety the key to it all

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I know for years we proclaimed Earl as the key to the LOB. Some debated chancellor as the enforcer or Sherman as the shutdown corner. But most felt Earl was the key.

Well this year really proved to me how having the right free safety really is the key to Pete’s scheme. This defense is night and day different with Diggs back there vs Hill or Thompson. It frees up McDougald to run support or QB spy. It allows the boundary guys to play tighter coverages. It allows our DL to get coverage sacks.

Really hope Blair develops into the next Earl but until then I’m happy we have Diggs. Can’t believe Detroit parted with him so easily.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
You need a good to great free safety in pete's system. Glad we got diggs.

HawkGA

Reaction score
If we just concentrate on the "Boom" part of the Legion of Boom, you'd have to look at Kam for setting the tone and providing the Boom. But having a good FS who lets everybody else play aggressively is important for the system.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
A good FS means you can get a lot more out of your SS.

Getting more out of your SS means you can do more with your linebackers.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Hawknballs":1kfwk2lz said:

So it is a snowball effect. I can Digg it. :mrgreen:

OP
OP
M

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2txp25z7 said:

Exactly. Pete's scheme just gets so much better all around with a trust worthy rangy play maker back there.

Hope Diggs continues the stellar play through the playoffs. Wagner, Wright, Clowney and Diggs are the keys to our defense and all need to be on the field for success.

Now if we can just get the OL back to run blocking.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":1c67lo84 said:
If we just concentrate on the "Boom" part of the Legion of Boom, you'd have to look at Kam for setting the tone and providing the Boom. But having a good FS who lets everybody else play aggressively is important for the system.

Diggs is the one who barks out communication, directing traffic in the Secondary, just like ET once did for the whole LOB section, which in turn, frees up our ALL PRO Linebacker to call & cover for the intermediate area, allowing the D-Line the freedom to go after the Quarterbacks.
Kam was a once in a generation enforcer (like Easley) that doesn't come along very damned often, and was one of the reasons that a lot of guys had their heads on a swivel, and missed making some easy catches. :stirthepot:

Polk738

Reaction score
Maybe, but I think it was Kam's versatility in combination with Earl's speed that made the defense so good. Kam really was a LB playing safety, great speed and coverage skills along with elite run defense. Two plays that standout to me that defined Kam's role in the defense. His destruction of Wes Welker in SB 48 on a defended pass and putting Eric Winston of the Cardinals straight on his ass. Kam could cover the slot while destroying offensive lineman, a true "hybrid" player. That kind of versatility is a nightmare for OCs to deal with.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
:327321_Spy_23.22:
Seahawkfan80":1cxjsqy0 said:
Hawknballs":1cxjsqy0 said:

So it is a snowball effect. I can Digg it.

:327321_Spy_23.22: I saw what you did there.

Smellyman

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3bfx8ge0 said:
Seahawkfan80":3bfx8ge0 said:
Hawknballs":3bfx8ge0 said:

Er my head my reflexesare too fast iwould 30682412

ivotuk

Reaction score
Smellyman":3929rtdk said:
scutterhawk":3929rtdk said:
Seahawkfan80":3929rtdk said:
Hawknballs":3929rtdk said:

Er my head my reflexesare too fast iwould 30682412

Without him, we were certainly in a Quandre

Boohman14

Reaction score
I love Diggs' skill set and heart out there. He hasn't been 100% since we got him from the Lions but he's a difference maker for us. I can't wait to see what he brings next season. I think he'll have a break out year next year being at full capacity and fully engaged in Pete's system.
I think the continued development of our rookies and play of our solid vets will have or defense as one of the top units next season.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete believes much like Baseball you have to be strong up the middle, FS, MLB, and Interior Line, build around that.

OP
OP
M

Mad Dog

Reaction score
chris98251":h0maz1k9 said:
Pete believes much like Baseball you have to be strong up the middle, FS, MLB, and Interior Line, build around that.

I think he likes fast and smart in the middle and tall and long armed on the edges. That seems to be his model.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Yes. That deep safety has two primary responsibilities.
1. Don’t let anything go over your head.
2. React quickly and offer, over the top support, for your CBs.

T2 was terrible. He allowed balls to go his head.
Diggs reacts and diagnose plays quick. Running down hill and laying the wood.
Because of his ability to diagnose, he can support the CBs on deep routes. This allows our CBs to step kick more. Flowers would always back peddle before the snap. Now, he can step kick and lock in knowing he has support from Diggs.

This is Pete’s system. Reason why he built his defense from the backend first during the LOB years.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
The key to a good free safety is a hurried QB. They are / were hampered by no pass rush and a bad film in. A better FS gives the pass rush an extra step. A better pass rush would give the free safety an extra couple of yards.

Both together. Now that’s 2013.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts