Is Russ hurt or sick?

W

Welshers

He was coughing a lot during the presser. He's been like this for a few weeks. Obviously it's not corona but could there be something else going on that we don't know about? Also, he took some big hits in the 1st Arizona game and hasn't been the same since. I have been wondering about a concussion. I found this on the internet:

"Persistent post-concussive symptoms, also called post-concussion syndrome, occurs when concussion symptoms last beyond the expected recovery period after the initial injury. The usual recovery period is weeks to months. These symptoms may include headaches, dizziness, and problems with concentration and memory."
-Mayo Clinic

Now, not to be an armchair google physician, because this is pure speculation and I have no idea, but those post-concussion symptoms seem like they would lead to the huge drop off we've seen from him since Arizona. I think it's a possibility.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Enough with the excuses. He’s sucked for 6.5 weeks now. If he’s concussed and is still being allowed to play, Pete Carroll should be fired immediately along with everyone on the medical staff.

The plain truth is this, he has sucked. He has and always will be, a glorified Alex Smith. Aka, an Elite Game Manager. He will never be a Mahomes or a Rodgers or a Brees or a Brady. He has shown that he cannot sustain a high level of QB play for the entire duration of a season. There’s always a month where he stinks and thus far in 2020, we’re 6 weeks and counting.

Knowing this truth, we need to have a balanced attack that allows him to be the Elite Game Manager he is. Currently he’s HeroBalling and that is not good for this team’s success

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I don't agree that Russ sucks that bad overall, Luda.

He could be Brady/Brees/Rogers and the number of sacks he's taken would hurt their performance too. And, he's kind of a one-trick pony, scrambler behind the o-line, buying time to throw the ball. When his o-line fails, he can't do that. His Plan B used to be his legs, but now he uses them sparingly. Other than throwing the ball away more, IDK what he could do, but he doesn't like doing it. Hence the dropback in play.

It's unrealistic to assume he will last injury free forever. I don't think he's injured-injured, but I think the sacks are taking a toll on his body and at some point will result in injury that causes him to miss time. As I've been saying since last year, we need to invest in a No. 2 QB that we feel can go out there for a game (or even a couple of series) with a decent chance. I don't think that man is Geno.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I think his confidence is shattered. It’s pretty sad to watch.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
RCATES":3hwuh2jq said:
Should be a third option. Distracted

He’s making too much money to be distracted. If he his, then that is a indication our Front Office and Coaching staff made a poor personnel decision and need to be held accountable.

xray

Reaction score
At 32 years old Wilson should be in his prime ; but taking 40+ sacks and numerous hits for 9 seasons is certainly starting to take it's toll . He's playing older than his years . IMO

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the change in Russ's personality in the last couple of years?

He used to be kind of a goody two shoes. Very earnest, a little goofy, talking about his religion etc. I liked the honesty and how true to himself he was. I thought he was an admirable person even though others laughed.

He's kind of SLICK now. Dressing a certain way, stylish hair cut, friends with the "In Crowd" (Beyonce and JZ), podcasts, developing perfumes, fancy vacations etc.

I get that he wants to be part of a power couple but the off field pursuits may be diminishing his focus.

I read that he used to do a Monday morning game analysis where he draws up a preview of the next team and gives to his team mates. Also, I haven't seen him Rah Rah rallying his team on the sidelines recently. These are just two examples.

Bring back the 'Football Russ', The one cheering on his teammates, letting his hair grow long because of a tradition etc.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
No. He is not sick and not hurt. I will agree he isnt playing 100 percent, but that doesnt mean we need to find an excuse to justify it. There is more that goes into it. Playing calling one. Why do we continue trotting out recievers to run similar routes teams can obviously cover well? Why run long developing plays when the short middle and underneath are open? We didnt run the ball enough because it wasnt effective and we gave up on it. Only thing that explains this is they are still slow playing Carson. Seriously, when is the last time carson has carried the rock for 15 plus attempts? It hasnt happened. Until he does we will be less on offense just trying to force routes and dk deep. Also doesnt help that even when russ has plenty of time he is still running around looking for recievers. Many times he has run into a sack cuz he knows they are coming and the oline is oblivious to stunting and shifting in pass blocks.

Russ is not hurt. Russ will make these teams pay when our offense puts in a concentrated effort and carson is allowed to start carrying the load again.

keasley45

Reaction score
ludakrishna":esiqfl7b said:
Enough with the excuses. He’s sucked for 6.5 weeks now. If he’s concussed and is still being allowed to play, Pete Carroll should be fired immediately along with everyone on the medical staff.

The plain truth is this, he has sucked. He has and always will be, a glorified Alex Smith. Aka, an Elite Game Manager. He will never be a Mahomes or a Rodgers or a Brees or a Brady. He has shown that he cannot sustain a high level of QB play for the entire duration of a season. There’s always a month where he stinks and thus far in 2020, we’re 6 weeks and counting.

Knowing this truth, we need to have a balanced attack that allows him to be the Elite Game Manager he is. Currently he’s HeroBalling and that is not good for this team’s success

Can't disagree here. I love russ and think he's the best qb the franchise has ever had and one of the best ever... when working within a system that masks his weaknesses - which every system SHOULD do. No fault there. But our QB has never been the uber cerebral one. He's not Roger's where he can exploit micro tendencies he sees in a game from play to play. From what I can see, he's not the guy to take control of the game plan mid stream and adapt to what a defense is doing. He can certainly speed up tempo and occasionally get a defense off schedule that way, but when the deep , hero / rainbow balls are dropped or overthrown and the defense can play forward rather than on their heels, he struggles.

Russ takes over games when he works around his own weaknesses and the deficiencies of a gameplan with his magician like qualities. But i think this year what we are seeing is a qb who has gotten pretty pummeled ( partly scheme, partly holding the ball too long) and now his internal pocket awareness clock is ticking a tic too fast. He's missing open guys on occasion ( when they aren't running themselves into coverage) and his throws no longer have the same accuracy.

I also can't help but think that some of this i just him falling victim to a stubborn faith in the system... that it will eventually just work if you 'keep believing, keep fighting, keep having faith in your preparation, blah blah blah... I mean etc, etc, etc'. Thats stubbornness, faith or whatever you call it is a trait of highly competitive people - believing at the end of the day that they can win simply by out 'efforting' their opponent. You see it in boxing, baseball, coaching... across most sports. And Russ to a fault credits, belief, effort, keeping the faith, etc above all else for his success. Sometimes a really great, flexible and adaptable strategy can help.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Hurt or sick? No.

The same guy he's always been, someone who can go through long stretches of games and seasons looking confused, hesitant and gun shy when the pressure's on him? Absolutely.

Not all on Russ, Pete and Schotty aren't helping him get out of these funks by changing up the tempo of the offense. They just keep beating the same slow plodding run the clock down predictable offense thinking it'll get better.

Probably the most frustrating part of what's going on for me.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":z56qsz76 said:
Hurt or sick? No.

The same guy he's always been, someone who can go through long stretches of games and seasons looking confused, hesitant and gun shy when the pressure's on him? Absolutely.

Not all on Russ, Pete and Schotty aren't helping him get out of these funks by changing up the tempo of the offense. They just keep beating the same slow plodding run the clock down predictable offense thinking it'll get better.

Probably the most frustrating part of what's going on for me.

And the nail on the head goes to...haha.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
ludakrishna":16i3w5vj said:
The plain truth is this, he has sucked. He has and always will be, a glorified Alex Smith. Aka, an Elite Game Manager. He will never be a Mahomes or a Rodgers or a Brees or a Brady. He has shown that he cannot sustain a high level of QB play for the entire duration of a season.

Worst opinion I have read in years.

ludakrishna

Reaction score
Aros":2ne2i30s said:
ludakrishna":2ne2i30s said:
The plain truth is this, he has sucked. He has and always will be, a glorified Alex Smith. Aka, an Elite Game Manager. He will never be a Mahomes or a Rodgers or a Brees or a Brady. He has shown that he cannot sustain a high level of QB play for the entire duration of a season.

Please prove me incorrect. Name a season where he was lights out or completely consistent from week 1-17.

Greenhell

Reaction score
BleuEyedHawk":d3gmaxxq said:
Has anyone noticed the change in Russ's personality in the last couple of years?

He used to be kind of a goody two shoes. Very earnest, a little goofy, talking about his religion etc. I liked the honesty and how true to himself he was. I thought he was an admirable person even though others laughed.

He's kind of SLICK now. Dressing a certain way, stylish hair cut, friends with the "In Crowd" (Beyonce and JZ), podcasts, developing perfumes, fancy vacations etc.

I get that he wants to be part of a power couple but the off field pursuits may be diminishing his focus.

I read that he used to do a Monday morning game analysis where he draws up a preview of the next team and gives to his team mates. Also, I haven't seen him Rah Rah rallying his team on the sidelines recently. These are just two examples.

Bring back the 'Football Russ', The one cheering on his teammates, letting his hair grow long because of a tradition etc.

I've been saying this for a few years now. He's got his hands in too many pots. He seems more focused on those things than his gameplay on the field. Think he needs a come to Jesus moment. We definitely need football Russ at this point in the season and for the playoffs.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Russ right now looks like Rocky after he got smoked by Clubber Lang in Rocky III. No confidence, too distracted and no killer instinct. He does not look or play like a top-5 QB right now. Hell getting first downs is practically a miracle right now!

ducks41468

Reaction score
I think it's many factors:

1. He recently had a kid, which I imagine is affecting his sleep and focus. Frankly, I doubt it's the other off-the-field endeavors that he's getting involved in; most other top QB's do the same thing, we just over-analyze Wilson because he's our QB and we have information on him

2. He's right around that age where mental and physical stress really start to make an impact. Kids or not, you get more anxious, more tired, more worn down, and Russ certainly has looked that way.

3. Playcalling and scheme have reverted back to vanilla concepts. We're still throwing the ball plenty, but the route concepts have reverted back to primarily deep routes. This seems to be a departure from early in the year and has happened in past years, where things work for a few weeks and then are just abandoned.

4. Coaching/development: personal opinion but the Pete/Russ relationship has never seemed particularly symbiotic to me compared to the relationships other good QB's have with their coaches. Russ has pretty much always operated under Pete's thumb, and as such has never really followed a proper development curve, both due to his own limitations which he hasn't worked on and Pete's coaching. This directive by Pete to cut down on the turnovers just isn't constructive to me; in my experience you don't micromanage skilled employees, and even lesser QB's like Goff and Cousins have gotten more free reign from their coaches than Wilson. As a result there's been an undercurrent of tension and a resulting identity crisis in our offense since Marshawn left.

5. Russ himself is just missing throws, both on his own accord and due to the other factors mentioned. He's tired, he's frustrated, and he's not focused. He's missing checkdowns, but he's also not taking them because the explosive play mantra has been beaten into his head since the day he got into the league. To this day Pete continues to complain about lack of chunk plays, not lack of checkdowns, when we lose.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
ludakrishna":jd94cty4 said:
Aros":jd94cty4 said:
ludakrishna":jd94cty4 said:

Please prove me incorrect. Name a season where he was lights out or completely consistent from week 1-17.

Let's start with you showing me ONE single quarterback in this league where they were "lights out or completely consistent from week 1-17." You can't because it doesn't exist. Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, ALL have games where they slip up and don't look like themselves. It happens because they are human beings. I get that some of us get all get butt hurt after a surprising and embarrassing loss but a modicum of perspective, not overreacting and throwing out hyperbole like candy after a loss would sure be a welcomed change in this community.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Holy hell.

Russ is a stud. He is not a game manager but he has sucked lately. Both can be true.

rcaido

Reaction score
Cant wait till we win next Sunday. These post are getting ridiculous.

Wilson is on pace to have career years

70% completion
32 tds
3,479yrds
107.6 Rate

He also has 424yrds in rushing which is the most he has had in a couple years. Carson has 429yrds & Hyde 227yrds.
Wilson still has 4 more games. If anything Wilson is asked to do more than any player in the league.