Is there a premium paid for not being stunted on?

mrt144

Reaction score
I was sitting here thinking about the entirety of the RW contract, what it means for all the stakeholders (ourselves included). One persistent thing I kept coming back to was the idea that I much much much prefer to keep RW under lock and key, just so he can't rip our hearts out down the road.

I know, I know, this is a small thing in a world of big things. But man, I think about all the heroics and incredible plays over the seasons and I don't want the Hawks to be stunted on by RW or anyone, but especially not him. No way, no how!

I reckon this is the kind of emotional response that can lead to poorer decisions but think about it - how much juice are you willing to cede so you don't get shown up and humiliated?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You bring up an interesting subject. That whole going against one of your own down the road thing is legit.
I'm sure we have all thought about how much it would suck to play against Russ. It's fun talking to fans of other teams and their opinions of Russ. Pretty rare that I hear anything but mad respect for him and his game. Shoot, my Niners friends can't stand playing against Russ and were rooting hard for us to trade him.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2uvk07e4 said:
You bring up an interesting subject. That whole going against one of your own down the road thing is legit.
I'm sure we have all thought about how much it would suck to play against Russ. It's fun talking to fans of other teams and their opinions of Russ. Pretty rare that I hear anything but mad respect for him and his game. Shoot, my Niners friends can't stand playing against Russ and were rooting hard for us to trade him.

The way other fans tell it - maybe over the course of a season, maybe in a specific situation, he isn't their guy. But over and over again, most fans don't want to catch RW when he's unleashed and locked in with a single purpose. They know that he lives up to the twitter handle.

I'm trying to think of other players in that mold - maybe not the tip top all the time of everything, but someone you plan and prepare for and he still does stuff that you can't contain.

One of my sports nightmares is seeing RW rocking a golden dome and eating a damn turkey leg on our field celebrating our loss. Nightmare!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Aaron Donald immediately comes to mind. Double him if you want, it doesn't matter. Same with Khalil Mack. Just flat out dominant. Randy Moss in his prime, it didn't matter what you did, he would get his. Guys like Larry Fitz in his prime, Julio Jones and Calvin Johnson, just ridiculous talents. You were not going to stop them, you just hoped to somewhat contain them from getting 200+ and 3 TD's on you.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
If Watson continued to play as he did against us in that wild shootout, I would think that's what it feels to go against Russ. Pulling throws out of his back pocket, scrambling, and inserting daggers. It's tough playing and planning against that kind of diverse talent behind center.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Ad Hawk":2s1rot6v said:
If Watson continued to play as he did against us in that wild shootout, I would think that's what it feels to go against Russ. Pulling throws out of his back pocket, scrambling, and inserting daggers. It's tough playing and planning against that kind of diverse talent behind center.

THAT^

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
+1 on Watson. In fact, at the game I was saying to my wife "Now I know what it feels like to try yo tackle Russ"
He's a hell of a player and scrambler back there.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This is exactly why teams prefer to trade star players outside their own Conference. You don't have to play against them every year, and if they do beat you it is a non-Conference game which is less important in the standings. The only big game you would have to worry about is the Super Bowl, and the chances of two specific teams meeting there are slim already.

It's the same reason Sherman signed with the 49ers. He wanted maximum chances to show up the Seahawks.

Seymour

Reaction score
What does "not being stunted on" mean?

Are you saying getting clowned by Wilson because he would play somewhere else? :?:

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1hba3twd said:
This is exactly why teams prefer to trade star players outside their own Conference. You don't have to play against them every year, and if they do beat you it is a non-Conference game which is less important in the standings. The only big game you would have to worry about is the Super Bowl, and the chances of two specific teams meeting there are slim already.

It's the same reason Sherman signed with the 49ers. He wanted maximum chances to show up the Seahawks.

It's a good thing that Sherm ain't RW right?

I started thinking about the Curse of the Bambino - Babe Ruth's trade from the Red Sox to the Yankees not only buoyed the Yankees into the generational powerhouse they became, it also provided ample humiliation to the Red Sox for generations.

Is there anything similar in other sports? Where a player was an icon of a team, traded, and then made their former franchise totally rueful?

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Seymour":3t22s711 said:
What does "not being stunted on" mean?

Are you saying getting clowned by Wilson because he would play somewhere else? :?:

You got it man, first shot. :irishdrinkers:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mrt144":4rwlrpic said:
Is there anything similar in other sports? Where a player was an icon of a team, traded, and then made their former franchise totally rueful?

The biggest one I can think of is Lebron going to the Heat and shoving it down Dan Gilbert's throat winning three championships in Miami.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":88yireta said:
mrt144":88yireta said:

The biggest one I can think of is Lebron going to the Heat and shoving it down Dan Gilbert's throat winning three championships in Miami.

It's almost an act of charity that he went back to Cleveland to win one. :lol: Yeah, that's close to the Bambino, just lacking the rivalry aspect.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
mrt144":276lyt3a said:
HawkFan72":276lyt3a said:

I started thinking about the Curse of the Bambino - Babe Ruth's trade from the Red Sox to the Yankees not only buoyed the Yankees into the generational powerhouse they became, it also provided ample humiliation to the Red Sox for generations.

After his stint with the Jets, Favre went to the hated Vikings and convincingly beat the Packers twice in 2009 and the Vikings went 12-4 and won the NFC North. Ended up going to the NFC Championship twice with the Vikings.

That didn't affect the Packers for years, obviously, but still had to be tough to stomach for Packers fans.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1x2cd7lt said:
mrt144":1x2cd7lt said:
HawkFan72":1x2cd7lt said:

After his stint with the Jets, Favre went to the hated Vikings and convincingly beat the Packers twice in 2009 and the Vikings went 12-4 and won the NFC North. Ended up going to the NFC Championship twice with the Vikings.

That didn't affect the Packers for years, obviously, but still had to be tough to stomach for Packers fans.

Oh yeah, that's a good one too. It was brief but I do remember a coworker basically erecting a voodoo shrine to curse Favre. It backfired.

OP
OP
M

mrt144

Reaction score
Seymour":3u459x12 said:
mrt144":3u459x12 said:
chris98251":3u459x12 said:
Chamberlin from Philly to Los Angeles,

*Chef's Kiss*

Are you talking about Steve Scheffler aka Chef (96 Sonics)?? LOL? :shock:

Hahahha, omg, I forgot about him. No, I was blessing the example as wonderful and magnificent, as a chef would do (in theory. I worked in a kitchen and nobody was doing that stuff back there)

Latest posts