It’ll be a buyer’s market for free-agent receivers

Jville

Reaction score
I am anticipating a bit of retooling of Seattle's offense this off season. I'm certainly not concerned about the wide receiver roster. This year should provide an excellent insight into the direction of Pete Carroll and Seahawk pro scouts. Russell Wilson should be the center piece around which any retooled wide receiver corp is built.

In any case, the options are encouraging >>> [urltargetblank]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/12/its-a-buyers-market-for-free-agent-receivers/[/urltargetblank]

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Playing the hypothetical Situation here. Give that Tate is arguably the best and for sure the most durable wr available, let's say he prices his way out of Seattle and rice gets cut like he deserves. Bring in maclin on a one year prove it deal, he might not get the big stats here but People already know he can ball he just needs a healthy season and could get a bigger pay day next year.

What are people's thoughts on Riley Cooper for some depth? He's a bigger wr, capable of making big plays down field, might not be too attractive to some teams due to his choice words could drive his price pretty low and our team seems to have strong leadership to show the brother some proper etiquette.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I don't see GMs thinking Tate is the best option. They will primarily be drawn in by Decker and Nicks being prototype WRs that they think can play #1 (even though Decker is a clear #2 IMO, but hey, people overpay #2WRs to be #1s all the time - see Harper, Alvin and Price, Peerless).

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Nicks has been banged up though, and Decker will have the Manning factor. And that's assuming everyone needs that big wr, size aside tate is one of the most durable talented options out there I don't think that's a huge secret. You were supposed to play along with my hypothetical anyways :evil: lol

Fuddhawk

Reaction score
Hopefully Tate resigns for that hometown discount we are hoping for. I still think we should spend the 32nd pick on a WR or trade down.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
Yeah we definitely have options either way, I won't be shocked to see Tate gone but I would be more surprised if we signed any other popular names. Not much value in trading down, I want a wr in 1 or 2, but there's a number of different big wrs going later too, for all we know our future number 1 will be got in the 5th round. Wish we could pick their brains to see guys they like.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I myself like Riley Cooper,he seems to have that upbeat personality like Pete wants..I know there is that
negetive story on him but the Eagles seemed to let it go ...

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
IndyHawk":cjfd5q9q said:
I myself like Riley Cooper,he seems to have that upbeat personality like Pete wants..I know there is that
negetive story on him but the Eagles seemed to let it go ...

6 3, 220, 4.5 40, almost 18ypc. if he's half as threatening in the red zone as he is at concerts I'd let him come play for a cheapish deal.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
To me, Riley Cooper's talents are one of the prizes of this year's Free Agency. People make mistakes in life and seems like the Eagles were able to embrace him as a teammate even if they disagreed with his actions off the field. He did apologize and express regret. With all the talk about that this week - separating football "the job" vs. the personal lives of players... I'm just speaking of the WR. Riley Cooper is a very good football player. No doubt about it.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2ig81l0e said:
To me, Riley Cooper's talents are one of the prizes of this year's Free Agency. People make mistakes in life and seems like the Eagles were able to embrace him as a teammate even if they disagreed with his actions off the field. He did apologize and express regret. With all the talk about that this week - separating football "the job" vs. the personal lives of players... I'm just speaking of the WR. Riley Cooper is a very good football player. No doubt about it.
He is also this big target WR who has experience..I think he fits very well if the racial crap is gone..

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Most of Cooper's catches were wide open, and not because he has the speed or quickness to evade CBs regularly. He was schemed open an awful lot, and he benefited big time from playing across from DeSean Jackson in a hurry-up offense that threw the ball all the time.

I'm not talking about Cooper dropping racist remarks. Like 70% of the country drops racist remarks at least sometimes. I'm talking about a slow target without exceptionally great hands or anything like that being basically a mirage because of the scheme he plays in.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I haven't seen a lot of Cooper, but I agree with McUgly in that he always looked WIDE OPEN whenever I saw him on highlight footage or in games. If we're buying that Cooper is a legit 800 yard WR, are we also buying that Nick Foles is a legit 120 rating QB? Or, could it be that maybe both of these guys are benefiting from a gimmicky scheme/tempo offense designed to put defenses on their heels?

Steve2222

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3e1q93bm said:
I don't see GMs thinking Tate is the best option. They will primarily be drawn in by Decker and Nicks being prototype WRs that they think can play #1 (even though Decker is a clear #2 IMO, but hey, people overpay #2WRs to be #1s all the time - see Harper, Alvin and Price, Peerless).

And TJ Housyourmama

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Cooper made some tough catches as well. He wasn't just always open. Wouldn't Percy Harvin serve as DeSean Jackson-esque enough to open things up for a target like that? Big, slow... whatever. The dude is flat out a GREAT football player. Not saying he's a HOF WR. Just that he is a player that will produce. I'm not lobbying to sign him. Just commenting on his play as his name was brought up. Whoever signs him will not regret it.

There's a good bunch with the Hawks now. The decision must first be about Golden Tate. I like Tate and think his best football is ahead of him. Love his ability after the catch as he plays the position with the toughness of a RB. Just needs to not run backwards and give up first downs trying to make something out of nothing.

Mr.Hawkbrah

Reaction score
if tate walks for a deal getting 6-7 mill else where, and we sign cooper for like 3 or less i wouldnt be mad, disclaimer, pulled those figured from my ... cooper is no burner but hes certainly not slow, probably comparable to our group now except half a foot taller and 30lbs heavier. people say he got wide open because of his system...ok.... sooo...how about our offense...you know the one that runs...runs...runs...runs..runs...and runs...to set up the play action and deep passes...id say we try just as hard as anybody to set up deep bombs...how many times are our guys wide open? maybe our guys are a product of a run first team and if teams actually prepared to stop our passing game (which they dont) maybe they wouldnt look so good. im more playing devils advocate with that last comment but cooper wouldnt be a bad consolation prize to losing tate is all im saying.