It's time to start talking about benching Wilson.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":2z69kneg said:
jamescasey1124":2z69kneg said:
Spin Doctor":2z69kneg said:
jamescasey1124":2z69kneg said:
Nah. Let's let Waldron run what he wants and d continue playing hard. We will then win games. It's not just russ. Get off it.

Or give it over to russ for an entire game. Gurantee we see different results.

But that won't happen either.

Two culprits exist on a team that has shown the same consistency for losing over several years now. Russ just proved in less than 2 minutes it's not him. What about the other 58 minutes of the game guys?

Get a clue. Something bigger. Hindering the whole team. Defense and offense. Even are punt returner don't return or catch fair catch. They just point to the ball and let defenders decide placement.

The entire philosophy is off. Not just one player. Not just one side of the ball. Get a clue. Please.
Nope. Russ is a huge part of the problem right now. He's not seeing open receivers and he is not reading the defenses pre-snap. He's pressing right now and tunnel visioning. This has been an issue since the later half of last year. He hasn't been capable of executing the procedural, meat and potatoes of the QB position. Teams are gaming him hard on defense. Coming out showing one look, then defaulting to tampa 2, taking away his deep throws. When those have been taken away he's been helpless and if they take it away for too long he starts trying to thread it into double coverage.

I'm no fan of this current iteration of Pete Carroll, I've made that clear many times before. I think he's lost his edge long ago. That being said --- Wilson has been a large part of the problem. His head is not in the right place at the moment. Carroll's offensive philosophy doesn't help, BUT our offensive woes go much deeper than that.

Huge part of problem? Except he wasn't last two minutes?
Doesn't make sense.

Where did the running game go? Why did the d allow multiple long scoring drives. Not only wearing them out but allowing points? Allowing 4th down conversions. Some times stopping them.

Losing is a team problem. Russ could do better hitting open recievers. Let's some balls sail yes. But how does the conclusion he is broken solve anything when he can drive the field in less than two minutes?

It doesn't. On that drive he converted multiple short passes. Multiple sideline passes. Tell me why we can do that in two minutes but not the entire game?

It's not russ. The entire team is broken. That indicates coaching.

Also, non of this would be point of discussion with onside kick not being a illegal formation. Or Collins fumble on a hell of a drive. Or multiple pressures on russ. Or having no run game.
Okay, what about Wilson having the worst third down conversion in the NFL? You do realize that under the same exact circumstances, Geno Smith had a much higher third down conversion rate, right? I don't care about what Wilson does on onedrive, he was a liability the whole game. He should have been picked off several times, he missed open receivers and hasn't been seeing open receivers for awhile now. He's not playing good football. Refer to Kurt Warner's analysis and then look at Keasley's posts if you want more in depth examples with screenshots of Russ struggling with the same concepts that Warner was mentioning in his analysis.

This stuff has been an ongoing theme, now with his throwing hand screwed up, i don't think he should be out there. I think he is a good QB, but for the last year he's been pressing and now with his hand being screwed up he's just a liability rather than an asset. You can only shove so much blame onto Waldron and Pete, they're not part of the solution,. but right now Wilson is every bit as culpable as they are.

Wrong...give me a play...I will dispell your theories again. More going on than russ not making plays. I have already said he is not playing the best. Still far from the problem. He sailed some. Also, had some where recievers didn't run to open spaces like they normally do. See tyler completely turning toward sideline when he had open middle field. Let's forget dk too. Can't rely on him to defeat a one on one deep ball.

Can you tell me why we refused run entire second half? Washington d sure, but stick the run. Choose better run plays. Why was russ consistently pressured? Oh yeah Washington d again. Nothing on oline though. You remain focused on russ. And the reason I bring up the last drive is because it completely negates all your points about open recievers and short/middle.

Worst 3rd down conversion. Tell me why we only pass on third downs. Oh yeah because we don't try to convert on previous downs. I don't care about just 3rd down completion rates. It matters, but only when we don't convert on previous downs. Why are we not converting 10 yard tries on 1st or even second downs?

OP
OP
S

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
12th And Loud":3f91y628 said:
If you think that Geno Smith will elevate the level of play beyond what Russ can do even when he is injured, then I really don't even know what to say.

Geno Smith.
If Russell Wilson was healthy, sure -- he'd be the better option. Right now? Nope. At the very least it'd be a lateral movement. Wilson is injured and his head isn't in the right place. Just look at his statline since he's came back from his injury:

Russell Wilson:

Completion: 56.1%, 615 yards, 2 TDs 2 INTs, along with this he has the worst third down conversion rate in the NFL.

Geno Smith:

Completion: 68.4%, 702 yards, 5 TDs, 1 INTs

keasley45

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2l80o26a said:
Spin Doctor":2l80o26a said:
jamescasey1124":2l80o26a said:
Spin Doctor":2l80o26a said:
Nope. Russ is a huge part of the problem right now. He's not seeing open receivers and he is not reading the defenses pre-snap. He's pressing right now and tunnel visioning. This has been an issue since the later half of last year. He hasn't been capable of executing the procedural, meat and potatoes of the QB position. Teams are gaming him hard on defense. Coming out showing one look, then defaulting to tampa 2, taking away his deep throws. When those have been taken away he's been helpless and if they take it away for too long he starts trying to thread it into double coverage.

I'm no fan of this current iteration of Pete Carroll, I've made that clear many times before. I think he's lost his edge long ago. That being said --- Wilson has been a large part of the problem. His head is not in the right place at the moment. Carroll's offensive philosophy doesn't help, BUT our offensive woes go much deeper than that.

Doesn't make sense.

Where did the running game go? Why did the d allow multiple long scoring drives. Not only wearing them out but allowing points? Allowing 4th down conversions. Some times stopping them.

Losing is a team problem. Russ could do better hitting open recievers. Let's some balls sail yes. But how does the conclusion he is broken solve anything when he can drive the field in less than two minutes?

It doesn't. On that drive he converted multiple short passes. Multiple sideline passes. Tell me why we can do that in two minutes but not the entire game?

Also, non of this would be point of discussion with onside kick not being a illegal formation. Or Collins fumble on a hell of a drive. Or multiple pressures on russ. Or having no run game.
Okay, what about Wilson having the worst third down conversion in the NFL? You do realize that under the same exact circumstances, Geno Smith had a much higher third down conversion rate, right? I don't care about what Wilson does on onedrive, he was a liability the whole game. He should have been picked off several times, he missed open receivers and hasn't been seeing open receivers for awhile now. He's not playing good football. Refer to Kurt Warner's analysis and then look at Keasley's posts if you want more in depth examples with screenshots of Russ struggling with the same concepts that Warner was mentioning in his analysis.

This stuff has been an ongoing theme, now with his throwing hand screwed up, i don't think he should be out there. I think he is a good QB, but for the last year he's been pressing and now with his hand being screwed up he's just a liability rather than an asset. You can only shove so much blame onto Waldron and Pete, they're not part of the solution,. but right now Wilson is every bit as culpable as they are.

Wrong...give me a play...I will dispell your theories again. More going on than russ not making plays. I have already said he is not playing the best. Still far from the problem. He sailed some. Also, had some where recievers didn't run to open spaces like they normally do. See tyler completely turning toward sideline when he had open middle field. Let's forget dk too. Can't rely on him to defeat a one on one deep ball.

Can you tell me why we refused run entire second half? Washington d sure, but stick the run. Choose better run plays. Why was russ consistently pressured? Oh yeah Washington d again. Nothing on oline though. You remain focused on russ. And the reason I bring up the last drive is because it completely negates all your points about open recievers and short/middle.

Worst 3rd down conversion. Tell me why we only pass on third downs. Oh yeah because we don't try to convert on previous downs. I don't care about just 3rd down completion rates. It matters, but only when we don't convert on previous downs. Why are we not converting 10 yard tries on 1st or even second downs?

You mean like the theory that Russ routiunely misses open guys that are BLATANTLY open like Dissly last week and whoever it was eating a sandwhich in the middle of the field alone against the WFT...

Not stepping up in the pocket... thats a theory too?

Or not anticipating Swain coming open in the back of the endzone... theory.

LOL. Why dont we run more? Why didnt we run against GB? Why didnt we run before finally giving the ball to Dallas against AZ last week? Why do we stop running, or for that matter, throwing to the obvious open guy in the short when we only need 6 yards for a first down instead of chucking the ball 40 yards down the sideline?

We dont always pass on 3rd downs. We ran on 3rd down in this game. Russ's rating anyway you cut it is bad. Is that a theory or fact?

Line play wasnt great, but it also isnt helped when the defense shows an obvious blitz, and yet the play isnt changed to a hot read. Over and over again. thats QB to WR communication. thats what Rodgers and whoever his WR do all game. He sees a pressure, communicates to his players what to do, and they beat the play. The defense could literllay put 15 guys on the line and scream that theyre blitzing and Russel will just hike the ball and run the play. Its not a theory. he did it a few times in this game and Kurt Warner pointed it out in his prior reviews and Troy Aikman virtually every game he covers calls out one or two of those. So yeah, theres more going on than Russ? sure. Theres also more going on than just ... the line not playing well... or Waldron calling a crap game - on that one, Russ and Shane hatch the offensive plan. Russ has full control at the line. Its been asked of Pete and Shane and they both said he does. Again, look at the GB game. you think any OC concerned for their job calls 40 passes to 11 runs?

more going on indeed. And the only common denominator on every play, every read, every drop back, every first down success and 3rd down missed pass, scripting the plays for the upcoming week, picking at the line what gets run, what the audibles are, who gets the ball.

Thats one dude. #3

Here's a theory - Russ could set fire to Lumen Field. Be caught on camera doing it. Admit an obsession with combustible things, and you'd still say Pete put him up to it, Waldron framed him, and that it doesnt matter anyway because 'Lumen Field' is a stupid name for a stadium and the fire department could have saved it if only they'd invested in super long hoses. Oh, and that Geno Smith should take the fall.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Obviously time to bench.

To save face Pete could spin it that:
"We're protecting Russ by letting his finger fully heal.
What if, God forbid, it gets reinjured and now its a long term thing.

And since we're benching him, I'm saying that our post season is likely not there, so might as well bring in some practice squad guys and get them some playing time to help in their eval".

Whatever his reasoning, if he doesn't, that shows he's not a team first coach, but rather a clueless football relic.

hawker84

Reaction score
Laughing my ass off at people thinking RW is the problem. Is his play a problem? Of course. But he's playing like crap for a reason, and it's not because he all of a sudden is a subpar QB.

But I digress, when he's off winning MVP awards with another team, I'll be revisiting some of these posts...book it.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
keasley45":27kf5ax6 said:
jamescasey1124":27kf5ax6 said:
Spin Doctor":27kf5ax6 said:
jamescasey1124":27kf5ax6 said:
Doesn't make sense.

You mean like the theory that Russ routiunely misses open guys that are BLATANTLY open like Dissly last week and whoever it was eating a sandwhich in the middle of the field alone against the WFT...

Not stepping up in the pocket... thats a theory too?

Or not anticipating Swain coming open in the back of the endzone... theory.

LOL. Why dont we run more? Why didnt we run against GB? Why didnt we run before finally giving the ball to Dallas against AZ last week? Why do we stop running, or for that matter, throwing to the obvious open guy in the short when we only need 6 yards for a first down instead of chucking the ball 40 yards down the sideline?

We dont always pass on 3rd downs. We ran on 3rd down in this game. Russ's rating anyway you cut it is bad. Is that a theory or fact?

Line play wasnt great, but it also isnt helped when the defense shows an obvious blitz, and yet the play isnt changed to a hot read. Over and over again. thats QB to WR communication. thats what Rodgers and whoever his WR do all game. He sees a pressure, communicates to his players what to do, and they beat the play. The defense could literllay put 15 guys on the line and scream that theyre blitzing and Russel will just hike the ball and run the play. Its not a theory. he did it a few times in this game and Kurt Warner pointed it out in his prior reviews and Troy Aikman virtually every game he covers calls out one or two of those. So yeah, theres more going on than Russ? sure. Theres also more going on than just ... the line not playing well... or Waldron calling a crap game - on that one, Russ and Shane hatch the offensive plan. Russ has full control at the line. Its been asked of Pete and Shane and they both said he does. Again, look at the GB game. you think any OC concerned for their job calls 40 passes to 11 runs?

more going on indeed. And the only common denominator on every play, every read, every drop back, every first down success and 3rd down missed pass, scripting the plays for the upcoming week, picking at the line what gets run, what the audibles are, who gets the ball.

Thats one dude. #3

Here's a theory - Russ could set fire to Lumen Field. Be caught on camera doing it. Admit an obsession with combustible things, and you'd still say Pete put him up to it, Waldron framed him, and that it doesnt matter anyway because 'Lumen Field' is a stupid name for a stadium and the fire department could have saved it if only they'd invested in super long hoses. Oh, and that Geno Smith should take the fall.

For a long time, I have been one of the "fire Pete" guys. After Keasley's posts these past few weeks, I have opened my eyes and I now realize that Russ is part of the problem. There is no easy answer here.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
hawker84":13uqp3tp said:
Laughing my ass off at people thinking RW is the problem. Is his play a problem? Of course. But he's playing like crap for a reason, and it's not because he all of a sudden is a subpar QB.

All true, but the problem obviously isn't just Russ. Very poor O-line play, limited depth at RB, dumb penalties, and ineffective play calling by the OC are all contributing factors.

xray

Reaction score
Wilson will take a seat only if HE wants to . Kinda like Carroll firing himself . Neither will happen .

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
hawker84":l81iv34k said:

But I digress, when he's off winning MVP awards with another team, I'll be revisiting some of these posts...book it.

"I will come back if my argument is strengthened by the benefit of hindsight regardless of what is actually happening in the present!"

Damn, you sure won this one

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
keasley45":1indi9l3 said:

Thats one dude. #3

Now THAT is funny. Sad, but funny ^^^^^

hawker84

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3mws4483 said:
hawker84":3mws4483 said:

"I will come back if my argument is strengthened by the benefit of hindsight regardless of what is actually happening in the present!"

Damn, you sure won this one

That's how you took that huh? Interesting.

Kinda looks to me like I'm putting it on the line, to be crucified later if I'm wrong. But hey spin it however way makes you feel better about yourself.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You can't bench Wilson, you have to hope his play improves enough to maximize his trade value next off season.

That's where we're at. Season's over, time to start planning for next year, and next year is going to be Russell Wilson-less. So play him despite him deserving to be benched in the hopes he plays better to get the most picks possible.

keasley45

Reaction score
ddores":fg1b0ymv said:
keasley45":fg1b0ymv said:

Thats one dude. #3

Now THAT is funny. Sad, but funny ^^^^^

:D Its crazy the level of denial going on in here. Sometimes you just have to find a way to laugh at it.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2mvx7tju said:
You can't bench Wilson, you have to hope his play improves enough to maximize his trade value next off season.

That's where we're at. Season's over, time to start planning for next year, and next year is going to be Russell Wilson-less. So play him despite him deserving to be benched in the hopes he plays better to get the most picks possible.

I see your point but what happens if he doesn't play better? Then where is your trade value? I'm not advocating to not play Russ necessarily, I'm just asking the question..

on the flip side if Carroll play's Geno and gives Russ a chance to heal that does 3 things

1. Gives Russ a chance to heal and be right again

2. It gives less chance of Russ ruining his trade value

3. it puts Russ in position to be in competition for his job which might be the thing that snaps him out of his predicament

or #4 It pisses Russ off and he requests a trade or leaves when his contract is up

I'm not advocating for any one solution I'm just thinking it out...

thoughts?

LTH

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
LTH":38sl533x said:
Sgt. Largent":38sl533x said:

I see your point but what happens if he doesn't play better? Then where is your trade value? I'm not advocating to not play Russ necessarily, I'm just asking the question..

on the flip side if Carroll play's Geno and gives Russ a chance to heal that does 3 things

3. it puts Russ in position to be in competition for his job which might be the thing that snaps him out of his predicament

or #4 It pisses Russ off and he requests a trade or leaves when his contract is up

thoughts?

LTH
Or #4 It pisses Russ off and he requests a trade or leaves when his contract is up

Why is pisses Russ off such a bad thing?

Russ is leaving anyways.

And at this rate, what reasons do you believe Wilson is even worthy of an extension anyways?

If Carroll has no answers then he shouldn’t be coaching.

If Wilson’s skills has diminished and he can’t read a defense then he is finished.

Either way the pages will need to be turned at some point on Carroll and Wilson being here.

I for one do not want both Carroll and Wilson here because even Wilson doesn’t want to be here.

If it did, he would have never allowed his camp to publicly announce he is willing to be traded to a certain 4 teams.

Let’s start the new era already.

No need to drag it out.

LTH

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":3uhfovcg said:
LTH":3uhfovcg said:
Sgt. Largent":3uhfovcg said:

thoughts?

LTH
Or #4 It pisses Russ off and he requests a trade or leaves when his contract is up

Why is pisses Russ off such a bad thing?

Russ is leaving anyways.

And at this rate, what reasons do you believe Wilson is even worthy of an extension anyways?

If Carroll has no answers then he shouldn’t be coaching.

If Wilson’s skills has diminished and he can’t read a defense then he is finished.

Either way the pages will need to be turned at some point on Carroll and Wilson being here.

I for one do not want both Carroll and Wilson here because even Wilson doesn’t want to be here.

If it did, he would have never allowed his camp to publicly announce he is willing to be traded to a certain 4 teams.

Let’s start the new era already.

No need to drag it out.

I mean its your opinion that Russ doesn't want to be here and maybe he doesn't... but there is no indication from anything he has said that says he doesn't want to be here in fact just the opposite. there is more to the story we just don't know about it... so feel free to post the article or source you have that says Wilson doesn't want to be here. and don't make it an opinion piece.

LTH

hawks85

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3b4yih1r said:
jamescasey1124":3b4yih1r said:
Nah. Let's let Waldron run what he wants and d continue playing hard. We will then win games. It's not just russ. Get off it.

Or give it over to russ for an entire game. Gurantee we see different results.

But that won't happen either.

Two culprits exist on a team that has shown the same consistency for losing over several years now. Russ just proved in less than 2 minutes it's not him. What about the other 58 minutes of the game guys?

Get a clue. Something bigger. Hindering the whole team. Defense and offense. Even are punt returner don't return or catch fair catch. They just point to the ball and let defenders decide placement.

The entire philosophy is off. Not just one player. Not just one side of the ball. Get a clue. Please.

Wilson isn't a good fit for Waldron's offense. When you have a swing for the fences QB like Wilson in a west coast offense it's a fail very single time and people are now seeing that. Waldron has never been the issue.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LTH":2w9od5d9 said:
Sgt. Largent":2w9od5d9 said:

thoughts?

LTH

IMO the risk is greater if we're talking about trade value in benching Russ now vs letting him try to work through whatever's going on with him, and hope he improves enough to show other GM's that he's worth the risk in a big trade deal.

Benching him even a couple games isn't going to help anything, unless the team's hiding a more serious finger issue than we're being told.

Either way, I can't see any scenario where Pete benches Russell. We're already out of the playoffs, Pete's going to be loyal to Russell and allow him a chance to improve.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2rhu99iw said:
LTH":2rhu99iw said:
Sgt. Largent":2rhu99iw said:

thoughts?

LTH

IMO the risk is greater if we're talking about trade value in benching Russ now vs letting him try to work through whatever's going on with him, and hope he improves enough to show other GM's that he's worth the risk in a big trade deal.

Benching him even a couple games isn't going to help anything, unless the team's hiding a more serious finger issue than we're being told.

Either way, I can't see any scenario where Pete benches Russell. We're already out of the playoffs, Pete's going to be loyal to Russell and allow him a chance to improve.

I agree Pete is not going to bench Russ. but under his philosophy of always compete it is disappointing to me there is no competition for Russ