Jalen Carter

BlueTalon

Reaction score
One of two things is true. Either Jalen actually has more dedication and drive than many here give him credit for as demonstrated by how effective he was on the field, or he managed to wreck offenses while coasting and has the capacity to be even more devastating to offenses. Either way, I'm taking him.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
One of two things is true. Either Jalen actually has more dedication and drive than many here give him credit for as demonstrated by how effective he was on the field, or he managed to wreck offenses while coasting and has the capacity to be even more devastating to offenses. Either way, I'm taking him.
It just feels like that is the opposite of everything Pete Carroll has preached as the head coach. It reminds me of the way Russ was treated differently than everyone else. It caused a rift between the defense and Russ.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
It just feels like that is the opposite of everything Pete Carroll has preached as the head coach. It reminds me of the way Russ was treated differently than everyone else. It caused a rift between the defense and Russ.
You're going to have to be more specific. "Just feels like" and "reminds" isn't enough for me to pass on a generational talent like Carter.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
You're going to have to be more specific. "Just feels like" and "reminds" isn't enough for me to pass on a generational talent like Carter.
Can you be more specific and tells us a top 25 team where Carter ‘wrecked‘ the offense? Admittedly I’ve only watched his highlights packages and the playoff games the last couple years, but haven't seen it.

Stats aren’t everything, but they’re still something. Carter’s don’t line up with any generational talents that have proceeded him.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Can you be more specific and tells us a top 25 team where Carter ‘wrecked‘ the offense? Admittedly I’ve only watched his highlights packages and the playoff games the last couple years, but haven't seen it.

Stats aren’t everything, but they’re still something. Carter’s don’t line up with any generational talents that have proceeded him.
If you watch the video and can't see it, I'm not going to try to make you see it.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
If you watch the video and can't see it, I'm not going to try to make you see it.
So which offense? Is there any other generational talent for whom you can‘t point to a dominate game?

I see a gifted athlete with a pretty nice toolbox of moves. I also see low snap counts, plays taken off, and piss poor conditioning this year.

BASF

Reaction score
Not one of you with the low snap count argument have brought numbers for perspective. All each of you are doing is parroting what you have read from draft sites that are anti-Carter.

Let's take a look at the numbers shall we?

Georgia Defense​

Defensive Line (13)​

Nazir Stackhouse – 13 games – 419 snaps

Mykel Williams – 13 games – 349 snaps

Jalen Carter – 10 games – 308 snaps

Zion Logue – 13 games – 306 snaps

Warren Brinson – 13 games – 249 snaps

Tramel Walthour – 13 games – 245 snaps

Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins – 12 games – 184 snaps

Bear Alexander – 10 games – 139 snaps

Bill Norton – 7 games – 46 snaps

Christen Miller – 4 games – 45 snaps

Jonathan Jefferson – 4 games – 24 snaps

Shone Washington – 1 game – 5 snaps

CJ Madden – 1 game – 3 snaps

So, on a team that is heavy on rotation because they have a lot of talent on their line, only one player had a higher percentage of snaps than Jalen Carter.

For comparison purposes:

In 2022 as a junior Bresee played in 9 games and contributed on 302 snaps.

Other DT's in the draft had different roles than Carter and Bresee who were asked to penetrate or were fifteen to twenty pounds lighter.

I am not sitting here discounting any of your concerns, but bring numbers to back them up. Stackhouse was the only one that had a higher percentage of snaps on his line. Mostly because he was tasked with space eating and they did not have serious talent behind him.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Not one of you with the low snap count argument have brought numbers for perspective. All each of you are doing is parroting what you have read from draft sites that are anti-Carter.

Let's take a look at the numbers shall we?

Georgia Defense​

Defensive Line (13)​

Nazir Stackhouse – 13 games – 419 snaps

Mykel Williams – 13 games – 349 snaps

Jalen Carter – 10 games – 308 snaps

Zion Logue – 13 games – 306 snaps

Warren Brinson – 13 games – 249 snaps

Tramel Walthour – 13 games – 245 snaps

Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins – 12 games – 184 snaps

Bear Alexander – 10 games – 139 snaps

Bill Norton – 7 games – 46 snaps

Christen Miller – 4 games – 45 snaps

Jonathan Jefferson – 4 games – 24 snaps

Shone Washington – 1 game – 5 snaps

CJ Madden – 1 game – 3 snaps

So, on a team that is heavy on rotation because they have a lot of talent on their line, only one player had a higher percentage of snaps than Jalen Carter.

For comparison purposes:

In 2022 as a junior Bresee played in 9 games and contributed on 302 snaps.

Other DT's in the draft had different roles than Carter and Bresee who were asked to penetrate or were fifteen to twenty pounds lighter.

I am not sitting here discounting any of your concerns, but bring numbers to back them up. Stackhouse was the only one that had a higher percentage of snaps on his line. Mostly because he was tasked with space eating and they did not have serious talent behind him.
You want me to provide detail for something that’s been established umpteen times on this and every draft site?

Your own cut and paste from DawgsHQ shows Georgia rotates the DL to the point Carter plays 40% of snaps. The purpose of a rotation is to keep the big men fresh yet he’s still gassed 🤷🏻‍♂️

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
You want me to provide detail for something that’s been established umpteen times on this and every draft site?

Your own cut and paste from DawgsHQ shows Georgia rotates the DL to the point Carter plays 40% of snaps. The purpose of a rotation is to keep the big men fresh yet he’s still gassed 🤷🏻‍♂️
Additionally, right now the DL is extremely thin. This would add pressure to play Carter more snaps than not.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
According to Deon Sanders, you want your D Lineman to have issues 🤣

Thoughts?

It was more about you want your QB to be from a stable background I can see wanting your D lineman to be angry with some attitude

A while back I remember a parody where there was a fictitious test with one of the questions being
“ what would you most likely want to do on a Sunday afternoon?”
A. Casually pick daisy’s in a field
B. Rip off a QBs head and Fed Ex it to his mother

BASF

Reaction score

Pointing out that it has been parroted umpteen times on every draft site is your argument? Interesting.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Pointing out that it has been parroted umpteen times on every draft site is your argument? Interesting.
It’s a statistical fact, plain and simple.

Sure it makes sense to reference a source the first time it’s pointed out, but it fairly quickly becomes common knowledge.

Should we source Young’s weigh-in every time we discuss whether he can physically hold up to NFL abuse?

Snap count is relevant to Carter’s evaluation from both pro & con. On one hand it‘s an explanation for his limited production. On the other, it’s concerning that he still coasts between the elite flashes and has looked exhausted.

Ozzy

Reaction score
After reading Bob McGinns article on Carter I'm even stronger in my belief we won't draft him and I'll be pissed if we do.

sc85sis

Reaction score
So McDowell has a career ending injury on a personal activity before he takes a down in the NFL, so we must worry about Carter doing the same. It is a major major stretch at best to use this as any sort of example
The main knock on McDowell prior to the draft was lack of consistent effort on the field.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score

That isn't even remotely close IMO. Aaron Donald was unblockable. He won multiple national awards as the best DL in the country. He had double digit sacks multiple times. He had as many TFL and sacks each season as Carters career.

Carter hasn't put together anywhere near the body of work, even for a short time, that Donald did consistently in college.

James in PA

Reaction score
Daniel Jeremiah told Rich Eisen yesterday (paraphrasing): In the past 24 hours, I heard from one NFL GM who said the Seahawks will take Jalen Carter. Then I heard from another GM who said Seattle will not take Jalen Carter.

In other words, nobody knows anything.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Staton seems to think the information he's getting points to the second opinion. He actually had a good write up on it. Most likely Pete loves Carter because he sees the potential and thinks he can fix the other stuff ie motivation, being accountable etc. while JS is dead against the pick because making character a point of emphasis has led to drastically better results. I dont fault either for their opinions because its what makes Pete great and John great. I just have zero interest in taking the risk with Carter after what has leaked out.

I also don't understand the win now vs win later debate with Carter vs Richardson. How many DL taken in the top 10 last year were year one difference makers? Most were almost non existent or made little impact.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Staton seems to think the information he's getting points to the second opinion. He actually had a good write up on it. Most likely Pete loves Carter because he sees the potential and thinks he can fix the other stuff ie motivation, being accountable etc. while JS is dead against the pick because making character a point of emphasis has led to drastically better results. I dont fault either for their opinions because its what makes Pete great and John great. I just have zero interest in taking the risk with Carter after what has leaked out.

I also don't understand the win now vs win later debate with Carter vs Richardson. How many DL taken in the top 10 last year were year one difference makers? Most were almost non existent or made little impact.

And where exactly is Staton supposed to be getting this information? I have yet to see that anything he predicts has come true.