JJ McCarthy Just Declared for the Draft

fenderbender123

Reaction score
An unnamed NFL evaluator might have strategic reasons to leak a positive opinion of a draft prospect. The draft is a game of chess.

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
Am I supposed to suddenly change my mind because some unnamed guy supposedly said something?
Just because he's unnamed doesn't make him wrong. You say he's not an NFL quarterback when there's a lot of data to suggest he will play in the NFL. I'm not a Penix fan but I can at least see that he's likely to play in the NFL. You seem unable to admit the same for McCarthy and anyone that says otherwise you feel the need to discredit. Seems like a bias to me.

WarHawks

Reaction score
The guy would likely be in the top 3 next year if he stayed in school. Maybe even #1. Why is it so hard to believe he would be taken in the top ten now? Why are his detractors so short sighted?

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
The 7 post combine mock drafts I just read (On3, SI, AZ, PFF, CBS, Yahoo, PFN), that aren't paywalled, all have McCarthy going 1st round, ranging from 3rd overall to 30th. Three have him going 11 or 12 and two have him at 8.

Last edited:

SonicHawk

Reaction score
The guy would likely be in the top 3 next year if he stayed in school. Maybe even #1. Why is it so hard to believe he would be taken in the top ten now? Why are his detractors so short sighted?
Where in the world did you read that?

JJ McCarthy has gone from a second/third round interesting guy to maybe let sit for a year to a top 10 pick who will start right away. It's nonsense.

McCarthy threw for 60 yards in a game vs Penn State this year. 60 ******* yards. It was not a blowout, they just trusted their run game more than him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I asked the question before and didn't get an answer. How is he when the game is on the line? As in can he CARRY the team in the 4th Quarter or OT? Or, was it more about the Michigan defense and running game? I don't claim to know a ton about McCarthy. Unlike several who are all the sudden experts on Penix :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I asked the question before and didn't get an answer. How is he when the game is on the line? As in can he CARRY the team in the 4th Quarter or OT? Or, was it more about the Michigan defense and running game? I don't claim to know a ton about McCarthy. Unlike several who are all the sudden experts on Penix :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
We don't know if JJ can be counted on to carry a team consistently, so TBD. I think the answer is yes but no one knows for sure until he's asked to do it.

Michigan's run game was so strong this past season that there was no reason to put JJ in that position if you didn't need to and Michigan didn't need to. More bad things can happen when you pass vs when you run which is why Michigan has always been a run first program.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeaWolv

SeaWolv

Reaction score

JJ McCarthy has gone from a second/third round interesting guy to maybe let sit for a year to a top 10 pick who will start right away. It's nonsense.

McCarthy threw for 60 yards in a game vs Penn State this year. 60 ******* yards. It was not a blowout, they just trusted their run game more than him.
As I said in my post there was one mock draft (CBS) that had McCarthy at #3 this year.

Not everyone was saying 2nd or 3rd round pre-combine. There were many saying first round as I have linked in my posts in this thread.

McCarthy was injured in the PSU game and couldn't throw which is why they ran the ball so much. Even if that weren't the case, 60 yards in one game doesn't really mean jack. To infer that 60 yards passing means the coaches didn't have confidence in him is a total stretch. McCarthy went 7 for 8. In contrast Allar went 10/22 for 70 yards in that game, now that's bad. UM vs PSU tends to be a defensive contest.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I mean, they won the natty.

He was... efficient at best. 148 yds vs Ohio State, 60 yds vs Penn State, 147 yards vs Iowa, 221 vs Alabama, 140 vs Washington.

Michigan had an excellent run game -- but that's no excuse for such paltry numbers. Michigan's real championship talent was their elite defense.

Here's the JJ McCarthy experience:

He throws it absolutely as hard as he can.

WarHawks

Reaction score

It's called basic logic. He's only 21.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
As I said in my post there was one mock draft (CBS) that had McCarthy at #3 this year.

Not everyone was saying 2nd or 3rd round pre-combine.

McCarthy was injured in the PSU game and couldn't throw which is why they ran the ball so much. Even if that weren't the case, 60 yards in one game doesn't really mean jack. To infer that 60 yards passing means the coaches didn't have confidence in him is a total stretch. McCarthy went 7 for 8. In contrast Allar went 10/22 for 70 yards in that game, now that's bad. UM vs PSU tends to be a defensive contest.
JJ wasn't facing Michigan's defense.