Jordan Davis DT

Chawker

Reaction score
I'm guessing he will be moving up with his 4.78 40 time recorded at the NFL combine. The 341 pound Davis posting a 40 time like that has got to move him up. Any thoughts ? Other than don't get in front of him when you have the ball.

Sam Williams ran a 4.46 40, Now thats moving for a 261 pound man.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I love the idea of a Franchinse NT. All-Pro NT like Vince Wilfork or Haloti Ngata seemed to be big contributors to top flight defenses, perennial playoff contenders, and championship team. I have to say I really want pass rush for the frotn 7 but I would be pretty stoked to get a mammoth man on our DL for the next decade.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Worth remembering that Zach Miller ran his 40 at 4.89. He was faster, more explosive than JJ Watt. And he outweighed him by 50+ pounds.

Davis is the unicorn of this draft. There isn't really a physical profile like him in the NFL. He's not really just a NT. Although he could be certainly. Really he's more like if Poona and Tony McDaniel had a love child. He's very long armed and tall. But his center of mass is low, like Poona.

Davis has phone booth quickness. He bursts into gaps and then his size/power takes over. Where a lesser DT ends up winning on the snap, but then doesn't have the ability to turn the advantage into a straight up win -- Davis can do that. We have a roster replete with the former types.

The best player on that UGA defense. Bar none. I pound the table for him. I'd sprint to the podium before Pete changes his mind and selects a RB.

Actually, the player who he most reminds me of is Tez. Not physically -- Tez was a chunk. Davis is faster, bigger and more explosive. But his initial quickness of the snap looks like Tez.

It's not often you see a player with athletic testing of a defensive end in the body of a creature that looks like he just ate your defensive end. I'd be more skeptical if he did all this with no tape or pedigree to back it up (Dontari Poe). But all Davis did was headline the best defense in CFB and also the defensive player of the year.

So yeah. Undeniably the single best prospect at any position. I take him. Only question is positional value. But he's a better DT than anyone else is at anything they're hoping to do in the NFL.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Thank you Atylla. Until your post, I've been hem-hawing around about Jordan Davis. But your Cortez Kennedy reference put him over the top for me. Tez is one of my heroes because he was a helluva a Man, as well as one helluva football player.

Until just now, Jermaine Johnson was my #1. Hope J.D. slides to 9.

I think Kayvon is a bit risky. To me, he's more of an athlete than a football player.

J.D. could be a Tez/Aron Donald hybrid. I'd trade up for that.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Jordan Davis feels like the player this year that will be there at 9, that will make us collectively hold our breath while we wait for the pick, and Seattle passes on him.

It's not always a bad thing. Brooks has turned out to be good. Taylor looks promising. But Dee vs Creed is still a flashpoint for the fanbase.

Hoping they take the guy that give you legit interior pass rush and pick up an edge on Day 2. Or trade back into R1 for the Edge.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Yxes1122":20en3fzo said:
Jordan Davis feels like the player this year that will be there at 9, that will make us collectively hold our breath while we wait for the pick, and Seattle passes on him.

Completely.

Although worth keeping tabs on. Seattle looks like they may be going to a straight up 3-4 D with the departure of Dunlap and likely Hyder. This is TOTALLY the draft to make that move in terms of talent and position. There are a metric ton of quality LB talent in this draft. And their existing core players (Poona, Brooks, Taylor) are all guys that should thrive in a 3-4.

That also means, you're likely not looking for DEs that are 270 or lighter. Need bigger prototypes for that. You're looking to get pass rush from the LBs. And to really make it work, you need serious beef in the 0/1 DT position.

If this is true, then Davis is probably the most important player to implement this change. The 0 position drives the entire scheme, as it's meant to keep the LBs clean to make the stops. That he is that explosive and fast is a huge benefit.

Seattle could literally flip their scheme based on who is still available. If a prime DE falls to 9, that likely means Davis is already gone. If the run happens on DEs, they can take Davis and pivot pretty easily to 3-4. It would mean picking up one or even two LBs in day 2. But that's where the real value in this draft lies anyway.

Most teams that transition from 4-3 to 3-4 (and vice versa) take two years of drafting to make the move complete. This draft presents the ability to do this in 48 hours.

So I'd advise watching closely, both who we release and guys that we acquire. The types of players is more worth monitoring than the names themselves. As that will provide strong hints as to where our brain is in terms of the draft.

If Seattle reunites with Clowney -- I'd say it's virtually a lock that we are going 3-4 and Davis is the 1a target. Clowney is probably the best 3-4 end in terms of talent/fit as there is in the NFL. Great against the run (required) and good at pressuring (sacks being secondary).

EDIT: Also considering the sunk cost/investment in Jamal Adams -- setting up a 3-4 makes even more sense. As that scheme allows for him to be deployed/used in the box to a much greater degree and even as a hybrid SS/LB in a nickel package. That's where he's at his best. Really looking at what they have, what's available, and what is heading out the door. It really looks like the defense is going to get overhauled in scheme as well as players.

EDIT 2: Also forgot the resign of Al Woods and insisting that Shelby Harris was included in the Wilson deal. Woods is a 0 if there ever was one. Harris is a DE at 290. So yeah they already look like they've added/retained guys to make this move. Keep an eye on Rasheem Green too. He is a player that should fit this move. Oddly, so is LJ Collier who fits that role better.

EDIT 3: Dang and Nwosu too (LB > 250#). More a 3-4 prototype LB.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":8wuaovdd said:
Yxes1122":8wuaovdd said:

Completely.

Although worth keeping tabs on. Seattle looks like they may be going to a straight up 3-4 D with the departure of Dunlap and likely Hyder. This is TOTALLY the draft to make that move in terms of talent and position. There are a metric ton of quality LB talent in this draft. And their existing core players (Poona, Brooks, Taylor) are all guys that should thrive in a 3-4.

That also means, you're likely not looking for DEs that are 270 or lighter. Need bigger prototypes for that. You're looking to get pass rush from the LBs. And to really make it work, you need serious beef in the 0/1 DT position.

If this is true, then Davis is probably the most important player to implement this change. The 0 position drives the entire scheme, as it's meant to keep the LBs clean to make the stops. That he is that explosive and fast is a huge benefit.

Seattle could literally flip their scheme based on who is still available. If a prime DE falls to 9, that likely means Davis is already gone. If the run happens on DEs, they can take Davis and pivot pretty easily to 3-4. It would mean picking up one or even two LBs in day 2. But that's where the real value in this draft lies anyway.

Most teams that transition from 4-3 to 3-4 (and vice versa) take two years of drafting to make the move complete. This draft presents the ability to do this in 48 hours.

So I'd advise watching closely, both who we release and guys that we acquire. The types of players is more worth monitoring than the names themselves. As that will provide strong hints as to where our brain is in terms of the draft.

If Seattle reunites with Clowney -- I'd say it's virtually a lock that we are going 3-4 and Davis is the 1a target. Clowney is probably the best 3-4 end in terms of talent/fit as there is in the NFL. Great against the run (required) and good at pressuring (sacks being secondary).

EDIT: Also considering the sunk cost/investment in Jamal Adams -- setting up a 3-4 makes even more sense. As that scheme allows for him to be deployed/used in the box to a much greater degree and even as a hybrid SS/LB in a nickel package. That's where he's at his best. Really looking at what they have, what's available, and what is heading out the door. It really looks like the defense is going to get overhauled in scheme as well as players.

EDIT 2: Also forgot the resign of Al Woods and insisting that Shelby Harris was included in the Wilson deal. Woods is a 0 if there ever was one. Harris is a DE at 290. So yeah they already look like they've added/retained guys to make this move. Keep an eye on Rasheem Green too. He is a player that should fit this move. Oddly, so is LJ Collier who fits that role better.

EDIT 3: Dang and Nwosu too (LB > 250#). More a 3-4 prototype LB.

Agreed. They need a Vince Wilfork to make this all work. And (to quote a tweet I saw recently) Davis is Wilfork in the body of a grizzly bear.

But as pointed out on the recent Cigar Thoughts Podcast, I think Seattle is going to grade Jermaine Johnson extremely high because he rushes off the right side. The Nwosu signing is another predominantly right side rusher and it allows Darrell Taylor to rush exclusively off the left (Which is where he is most effective according to himself). I wonder if the idea of pairing Taylor with Johnson and then getting a Travis Jones in the second will be more appealing to them. Not to mention Al Woods is your NT now and Poona and Mone can play that spot if needed. So you're 3 deep there and extremely lean on Edge.

I would prefer drafting Davis and then getting a guy like Ebiketie in the second, but Ebiketie played almost exclusively on the left side. A guy like Mafe seems to lack length for the role and you still need to come out of this draft with a ILB because you're not going into the season with just Barton/Brooks.

The recent injury to Ojabo (if serious) is another blow to the EDGE class and could make Seattle prioritize a guy like Johnson.

Their pure DT room is actually pretty solid right now with Harris, QJeff, Mone, and Poona. And I think they are probably high on a Myles Adams as well. But they are extremely light on OLB and ILB.

They will need to get at least a Tindall-type and a Johnson-type out of this draft.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
If you pass on Jordan Davis, you may not get an opportunity to draft a guy like Davis the size/speed/strength blend again. This guy also plays basketball. A big guy like this that can athletically move and play basketball is not a guy you pass up on. Davis is the exact NT Seattle needs! Seattle hasn’t had a great DT/NT since Cortez/Joe Nash, etc.

Davis is a blue chip prospect with all the intangibles to grow into a monster pass rushing NT as well.

It seems offensive tackles and guards are in every draft but elite Nose Tackle intangibles are not in every draft.

Seattle needs to run to the podium with Jordan Davis on the card and not do what John Schneider does and trades down.

Make the obvious smart pick and choose Davis!

nanomoz

Reaction score
Davis would thrill me. He's one of those rare guys that you can see having an impact anywhere on the line. But I bet he's gone by 9. His physical profile will be too alluring to at least one team ahead of us. If he lives up to his potential, he will be what Hurtt called "game wreckers."

It's all about having dudes who get double teamed because they can win 1-on-1 at a high rate. It was the story of the playoffs, as far as I could tell.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Yes, pair him up with Logan Hall in the second round and think about all the passes that will be knocked down. Davis would be able to push the pocket on passing plays and plug the middle on running plays.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Seems his value comes down to two questions:

Can he play three downs?
Can he keep the weight down?

If he’s a 2 down run stuffer without interior rush pressure, first half of R1 seems like a poor investment.

If he can keep the weight down and the combine athleticism translates to pressure at the next level, he could be an absolute beast.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I love the idea of a Franchinse NT. All-Pro NT like Vince Wilfork or Haloti Ngata seemed to be big contributors to top flight defenses, perennial playoff contenders, and championship team. I have to say I really want pass rush for the frotn 7 but I would be pretty stoked to get a mammoth man on our DL for the next decade.
I agree with this but these defenses were largely designed to shut down inside running lanes. I’m not sure investing in a NT helps us in the current state of the NFL and division.

To me the major investments need to be in edge players who put pressure on opposing QB’s.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
If we're truly going to a 3 - 4, then it is imperative that the Seahawks have an absolute stud plug in the middle of the D. Substitute on third unless it's short yardage and our D is getting off the field.

cheese22

Reaction score
I think one of the forgotten strengths of the D in the super bowl contending days was the run def. The LOB got most of the attention but they also had a hell of a run def. I realize the league is different now but having a rock solid run def goes a long way toward having a good pass def. Davis would be a cornerstone for the Hawks def getting back to having one of the best run def's in the league which will help their atrocious pass def.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
The problem with Jordan Davis are you getting the player who had to be frequently removed from a game due to not being in shape when he played at 360 lbs or what you saw at the combine. for a NT I am more interested in getting a guy who takes up blockers and you don't need a great athlete for that