Jordyn Brooks nails his Physical

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pretty amazing turnaround, considering when he was injured. Like many, I figured he would start the year on the PUP. Good news for this LB group. Having Brooks next to Bobby......huge. A lot of people seem down on this guy. Not me. Do your thing Jordyn.

Last edited:

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Pretty amazing turnaround, considering when he was injured. Like many, I figured he would start the year on the PUP. Good news for this LB group. Having Brooks next to Bobby......huge. A lot of people seem down on this guy. Not me. Do your thing Jordyn.

It will be interesting to see how much he plays this season. Against the Vikings, the Hawks ran a lot of 3 Safety looks with only one LB who, during the season, I would assume is going to be Bobby Wagner. I assume that will continue, especially when/if Jamal Adams returns.

bileever

Reaction score
That's remarkable, considering that Brooks had his surgery on January 19th. It typically takes 9 to 12 months to recover from ACL surgery, and even then, that first year back is very tough. Even players that make it back aren't themselves until the second year after the tear.

This article states that linebacker is one of the toughest positions to come back from an ACL tear. I don't think we should expect too much early on, and give him plenty of time to heal.

NoGain

Reaction score
The criticism I heard about Brooks and his tackles was that they were "low calorie" tackles, to use the phrase one NFL analyst used. It was hard to remember any jarring hits he put on, or high energy tackles for losses, or really memorable tackles in some such way. But yeah, he put up the numbers, he's not a bust, and I hope he is a solid starter for us for some years.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
The criticism I heard about Brooks and his tackles was that they were "low calorie" tackles, to use the phrase one NFL analyst used. It was hard to remember any jarring hits he put on, or high energy tackles for losses, or really memorable tackles in some such way. But yeah, he put up the numbers, he's not a bust, and I hope he is a solid starter for us for some years.
My theory is that guys like Brooks are viewed worst by fans overly focused on the bad looking tape instead of taking his game/season as a whole. He puts himself into a position to make plays other guys wouldn't be close to making. If you threw out his worst 15 tackles he'd still be near the top of the league in tackles but would be perceived as a better player. Sort of reminds me of the treatment luke kuechly got as a draft prospect.

OP
OP
S

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The guy racks up tackles consistently, and among the leaders in the league at his position in 2021 and 2022. Couldn't care less how it looks. You either make the play or you don't. I stick to my opinion that having Bobby next to him is huge, and will help him big time.

bileever

Reaction score
I think we can agree that Brooks had a bit of a down year last year after a solid 2021. Regardless of the stats, the eye test results were that he didn't make always make his presence felt or make a lot of splash plays. A lot of tackles still, but only 3 TFLs, and 1 sack. Compare that to Bobby, who at age 32 last year still had 10 TFLs and 6 sacks (not to mention 2 interceptions). Part of it was adjusting to a new position and adjusting to being the defensive signal caller. I think going back to being the Wil LB will probably help him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Good news, and also sheds some light on probably not good news with Adams who was injured much earlier than Brooks and still isn't practicing.

Not the same injury, but it sure feels like Pete isn't even expecting Adams to be a part of anything this season.